Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Namath be in the Hall of Fame?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Good call, he got the name right after it came out. The day SI came out copies of the magazine were all over the Jets locker and when the players came in one of the lineman said "Joe, Broadway Joe" and it stuck.
    from wiki......

Namath's nickname "Broadway Joe" was given to him by Sherman Plunkett, a Jets teammate

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    LOL. The compiler (Curtis Martin) had his moments. He played with bad knees the last few years.

Most over rated player in NFL history. Even Shaun Alexander was better!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sperm Edwards View Post
    Spermy, get help. You're not funny and you add no value to the conversations.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Spermy, get help. You're not funny and you add no value to the conversations.
    When did I say I was funny? Curtis Martin is over rated as hell! What did he ever win?

Veteran
    When did I say I was funny? Curtis Martin is over rated as hell! What did he ever win?
    Most over rated player in NFL history? Please, the guy was a stud. Not to hijack the stupidity of the OP, but what the hell:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...6-acc8e62813e9

4th all time leading rusher and the most durable top RB maybe every. 2 rushing titles and a bunch of very hard to get awards. He was the Iron Man of RBs and maybe the best JET player ever. If that isnt HOF then they shouldnt even have a HOF.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

How can someone try this hard to be funny and cute and yet be so stupid.

Time to try a new handle and a new schtick, this ain't working

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    4th all time leading rusher and the most durable top RB maybe every. 2 rushing titles and a bunch of very hard to get awards. He was the Iron Man of RBs and maybe the best JET player ever. If that isnt HOF then they shouldnt even have a HOF.
    I know he got 1 rushing title by 1 yd thanks to 2 overtime games in 04 when was the other one?? And what awards exactly??

Undrafted Free Agent
    I value Curtis for his time here but if you were to tell me he is a hall of fame player then so are Terrell Davis and Roger Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I know he got 1 rushing title by 1 yd thanks to 2 overtime games in 04 when was the other one?? And what awards exactly??
    This is what is listed on wiki Which yeah I know but I feel lazy today.

NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (1995)
    PFWA Offensive Rookie of the Year (1995)
    5 Pro Bowl (1995, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004)
    5 All-Pro (1995, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2004)
    2 AFC Rushing Leader (1995, 2004) Led NFL in rushing yards in 2004 with 1,697 Oldest player to win a rushing title in NFL history (age 31)
    Fourth-leading rusher of All-Time
    Ed Block Courage Award 1 2001
    FedEx Ground Player of the Year 1 2004
    Bart Starr Man Of The Year 1 2006
    Third most consecutive regular season starts by position (119)

Considering he worked threw the Emmit Smith, Holmes, Davis, Watters, Faulk, LT, Eddie George, Edg, and Sanders eras the guy held up well.

Jets Insider VIP
    I value Curtis for his time here but if you were to tell me he is a hall of fame player then so are Terrell Davis and Roger Craig.
    Terrell Davis? Only 4 full seasons? Are you serious?

Was he on his way before he was injured? Absolutely. But he's never getting into the HOF.

And on what basis would you elect Roger Craig?

Davis is a 2k rusher how is he not a HOFer? Craig was never on that level dont be crazy.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

Was he on his way before he was injured? Absolutely. But he's never getting into the HOF.

Davis had 8 playoff games with 1,140 yards and 12 TD's. that is HOF material to me. Elway sends him a thank you card every month.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

How many great seasons did Gale Sayers have?? Hell he was only on 1 winning season with the Bears.. But he was amazing.

Pee-Wee-Herman--19488.jpg
    Get a new girlfriend Sperm.Your current one is affecting your judgement

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

This is what is listed on wiki Which yeah I know but I feel lazy today.

NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (1995)
    PFWA Offensive Rookie of the Year (1995)
    5 Pro Bowl (1995, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004)
    5 All-Pro (1995, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2004)
    2 AFC Rushing Leader (1995, 2004) Led NFL in rushing yards in 2004 with 1,697 Oldest player to win a rushing title in NFL history (age 31)
    Fourth-leading rusher of All-Time
    Ed Block Courage Award 1 2001
    FedEx Ground Player of the Year 1 2004
    Bart Starr Man Of The Year 1 2006
    Third most consecutive regular season starts by position (119)

Considering he worked threw the Emmit Smith, Holmes, Davis, Watters, Faulk, LT, Eddie George, Edg, and Sanders eras the guy held up well.
    Emmitt Smith won the Rushing title in 95 what's next Martin used the least toilet paper after taking a dump?? He always needed more carries to do what other did on less.. BTW Tiki Barber had 2 seasons after 30 of 1860 and 1662 and avg over 5 ypc each year..
    Last edited by Savage69; 09-26-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Davis had 8 playoff games with 1,140 yards and 12 TD's. that is HOF material to me. Elway sends him a thank you card every month.
    There's no question that Davis was phenomenal for those 4 years. But I don't think that's enough in the modern era to get into the HOF, regardless of how he performed in the playoffs.

And when you look at Gale Sayers, as great as he was, there is an argument that he doesn't belong either based on how short his career was. I think longevity should be a factor when electing someone to any HOF of the 4 major sports.

Okay, I've been holding back but let me set this guy straight on Joe Namath......Joe came along at a time in American culture when people were resisting change and young people were about to let their voices be heard loud and clear. Vietnam was going on, the peace movement was kicking in and going against the norm was taking off. Namath was flashy, provocative, hip, and most of all, extremely talented! Big arm. super quick release, cocky, scanned the field left to right in a second and a half at most. I was ten years old and to me he was the coolest athlete I had ever seen! You have to understand this time in history to get it! Every kid that cool meant anything to in sports, was Joe Namath! And he was Broadway Joe! In New York on top of that! Was so popular he was staring in movies with hot babes like Ann Margaret who was at the time, SMOKIN! Elvis Presley introduced Joe Namath to the crowd at one of his Las Vegas shows as the greatest QB ever! Joe was in the audience.

He was a trend setter! Wore white shoes when everybody else wore black. Long hair when everybody else wore short hair. Fur coats on the sideline, drunk and hammered with the ladies the night before games and played the next day! HOF you ask? Yes his numbers say no but his mere existence in the NFL was revolutionary! He was an outstanding athlete at Alabama and in the NFL was as tough as they came. All the coaches that had to play against him in the NFL during his glory days are the ones who say he belongs in the HOF. John Madden leading the way! It's not even a question if his knees weren't destroyed. You already know or should know the impact of the AFL winning super bowl III. Joe Namath is a icon. Love him or hate him, he changed the game. HOF........NO DOUBT!

Undrafted Free Agent
    There's no question that Davis was phenomenal for those 4 years. But I don't think that's enough in the modern era to get into the HOF, regardless of how he performed in the playoffs.

And when you look at Gale Sayers, as great as he was, there is an argument that he doesn't belong either based on how short his career was. I think longevity should be a factor when electing someone to any HOF of the 4 major sports.
    so if Wilt Chamberlain gets hurt or plain quits the year after he drops 50 points a game he's not an HOF member either?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Well since Vinny has more yardage and TD's then Montana I'll be looking for him real soon then..