Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Should Namath be in the Hall of Fame?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curtis was mad over rated. One game it was snowy as hell against Pittsburgh, I got so drunk watching the Jets and Steelers suck at getting to the endzone that I ralphed all over the carpet infront of my in laws. Curtis had almost 200 yards but could not score like Terrell Davis would have.

The Jets won 6-3 so it was an okay day.

I will donate a dollar to charity for anyone who remembers this old game.

Sperm Edwards

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sperm Edwards View Post
    Curtis was mad over rated. One game it was snowy as hell against Pittsburgh, I got so drunk watching the Jets and Steelers suck at getting to the endzone that I ralphed all over the carpet infront of my in laws. Curtis had almost 200 yards but could not score like Terrell Davis would have.

Sperm Edwards
    I think the game was 6-0, not 6-3. It was in NJ. I remember because I went to an anniversary party for my friend's parents, and this hot chick was talking to me the entire time, but I just wanted to watch the game at the bar. I got her number and told her I'd call her later.

Priorities.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I think the game was 6-0, not 6-3. It was in NJ. I remember because I went to an anniversary party for my friend's parents, and this hot chick was talking to me the entire time, but I just wanted to watch the game at the bar. I got her number and told her I'd call her later.

Priorities.
    I guarantee if the Jets had Marshall Faulk or Terrell Davis that day we win 28-0. Puck Fittsburgh pre-Big Ben era.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to arguing that our HOF player isn't really that good. Arguing pointless stats in a sport where stats are not close to the end all when evaluating players.

How anyone can think they're right arguing a guy in the hall is nothing more than a compiler is beyond me. And why. WTF does it do to downgrade your own stars, how do you believe it makes you look smart when to the world you sound like an idiot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Sperm Edwards
    Wasnt that 2005? We were like 4 and 12 but beat the Steelers?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    See this is the excuse crap I hate.. In 97 behind the Jet line with O'Donnell as the QB Murrell had 7 td's on 300 carries and avg 3.6 ypc. IN 98 with Vinny having the best QB Stats in Jet History and the addition of Fabini and Mawae, Martin avg 3.5 8 tds on 69 more carries.. When excuses are needed no one does it better then Martinette's.. Oh and who can beat 14 yds rushing in the AFCCG??
    Probably the year he played with torn ligaments in his knee Sperm

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guarantee if the Jets had Marshall Faulk or Terrell Davis that day we win 28-0. Puck Fittsburgh pre-Big Ben era.
    Read please!http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=8592

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I asked Babe Parilli about the rumors that Namath was out partying into the wee hours on the eve of Super Bowl III.

Parilli said that wasn't at all true and that the Jets leaked that to get into the heads of the Colts.
    This may be true, but in general the guy was last legend.

I have to say, back than football players where men, hard core men. These guys played their a$$es off all broken up and had to work side jobs just to put food on the table. I will say the conditioning of today's athlete is far more superior and maybe yesterday's player could not keep up stamina wise, but rugged and toughness, Joe hands down goes in just for how he and others of his level played the game and what they accomplished while plying it in that environment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Sperm Edwards

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Back to arguing that our HOF player isn't really that good. Arguing pointless stats in a sport where stats are not close to the end all when evaluating players.

How anyone can think they're right arguing a guy in the hall is nothing more than a compiler is beyond me. And why. WTF does it do to downgrade your own stars, how do you believe it makes you look smart when to the world you sound like an idiot.
    Speaking of down grading your own players you just hit on why I tweak Martinette's.. No matter what another back did in the few chances they got Cumar got the credit.. Jordan gets one carry goes 47 yds for a td it was because Martin wore down the defense even if he had 5 carries.. Then the crap started he can't carry Martins jock etc We never had that problem with TJ and Greene,Snell and Boozer,Boozer and Riggens,Freeman and Hector.. Instead of being happy for both players the Martinette's could not give credit to any other back..

Our biggest playoff blowout of the Colts when Jordan had 2 td's and over 100 yds rushing the Martinette's gave credit to Cumar.. And when Martin passed Jim Brown in yardage some young Martinette's said WOW he's better then Jim Brown.. Forget the fact it took him around 700 more carries.. Jim Brown had 1 season when he had over 300 carries (305).. Martin himself said; I never want anyone else to get the ball I'll come out when I'm unconscious..Compile with a smile that's a team player for you..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of down grading your own players you just hit on why I tweak Martinette's.. No matter what another back did in the few chances they got Cumar got the credit.. Jordan gets one carry goes 47 yds for a td it was because Martin wore down the defense even if he had 5 carries.. Then the crap started he can't carry Martins jock etc We never had that problem with TJ and Greene,Snell and Boozer,Boozer and Riggens,Freeman and Hector.. Instead of being happy for both players the Martinette's could not give credit to any other back..

Our biggest playoff blowout of the Colts when Jordan had 2 td's and over 100 yds rushing the Martinette's gave credit to Cumar.. And when Martin passed Jim Brown in yardage some young Martinette's said WOW he's better then Jim Brown.. Forget the fact it took him around 700 more carries.. Jim Brown had 1 season when he had over 300 carries (305).. Martin himself said; I never want anyone else to get the ball I'll come out when I'm unconscious..Compile with a smile that's a team player for you..
    This is such bull crap! Curtis didn't play this game for money or stats. He was a warrior! He didn't want to come out because that's who he was, a warrior, a go getter, a guy you had to peel off that field. If anything, I want guys on my team who play injured, never want out of the game, etc...Who cares how and why he got there. Fact is, he's there! Longevity is a huge part of becoming a HOFer in this brutal league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    This is such bull crap! Curtis didn't play this game for money or stats. He was a warrior! He didn't want to come out because that's who he was, a warrior, a go getter, a guy you had to peel off that field. If anything, I want guys on my team who play injured, never want out of the game, etc...Who cares how and why he got there. Fact is, he's there! Longevity is a huge part of becoming a HOFer in this brutal league.
    Being a ex Vet I know what a warrior is and they don't get paid millions of dollars to play a game..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any proof that Curtis Martin himself was only interested in compiling stats? Or is it possible that he simply felt he was "the guy" and that his team needed him?

One thing that has always been said about the great athletes and performers in any sport is that they never wanted to come out of the game. They wanted to be on the field, the court, the ice as much as possible.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any proof that Curtis Martin himself was only interested in compiling stats? Or is it possible that he simply felt he was "the guy" and that his team needed him?

One thing that has always been said about the great athletes and performers in any sport is that they never wanted to come out of the game. They wanted to be on the field, the court, the ice as much as possible.
    Of course there is no proof because it's not true. Curtis is humble and doesn't even really like football. He's just a hard worker and loved his job. Anyone who knows anything about him or has seen his interviews knows this. He doesn't even watch football now or have a clue about what's going on it todays game. He doesn't care about stats. Curtis only knew one way. You had to peel him off that field. People who love their job and are great at it, are usually this way. Curtis was never about himself. He was a team first guy that wanted to play hurt and never come out because that was his mentality. You have to believe you're the best to be the best type mentality. Doesn't mean your selfish or all about stats, it's just what seperates the good from the great.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being a ex Vet I know what a warrior is and they don't get paid millions of dollars to play a game..
    Read the article i posted for you. Did Martin attack a member of your family or something,jeez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

2002 Martin has not 1 but 2 high ankle sprains any other team rests him and starts their healthy back,but he wanted to play... Cumar needed the yds for a 1,000 yd season so that didn't happen..2003 the Jets are going nowhere but it's Dec and Martin has just 1 td and 800 yds rushing who get carries for the final games?? Martin 125 carries Jordon 1.. 2005 Martin too hurt to practice but keeps going for 1,000 yds until the pain got too unbearable..BTW the Jet record in 03 and 05 was 6-10 and 4-12 the team didn't need him but he wanted the stats..

I have said I thought Martin was a great role model and a fine workhorse back.. But because I didn't think he was the best Jet back ever I got crap from the Martinette's all the time.. Granted I didn't think he was worth a 1st and 3rd pick and that huge payday that the Tuna gave him.. He was a good value as a 3rd rd pick for the Pats as TJ was a good value swap of 2nd rd picks for the Jets.. Not to mention TJ avg more td's a year then Martin and holds the record for most yds in a regular season game as a Jet..Freeman holds the record for most yds in a playoff game.. And Greene has the longest td runs in the playoffs for the Jets..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The most important question here is:

Are we the only fan base that argues AGAINST the inclusion of our team's players in the Hall of Fame?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    The most important question here is:

Are we the only fan base that argues AGAINST the inclusion of our team's players in the Hall of Fame?
    And the person who often argues this point is always on here telling us how Jets fans always find something to complain and whine about. Go figure!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

You wanted Jordan, no one else associated with the Jets did. I don't get how this is Martins fault. The whole argument is flawed, from you thinking the it was Martins fault that every coach he played for idolized him in every way.

You're also flawed in thinking that yardage numbers picked up in garbage time, after a team has been worn down and the game decided equated into what he would do with prime time carries. Evry single back, QB, WR etc wants to be on the field, all the time. Jordan wanted to take carries away from Martin, but thats fine. Martin did the same.

Coaches and the media that votes for the Hall all apparently are Martinettes and are wrong. Sorry, not agreeing. Not doing the number crunching till you puke thing, Martin is what he is, no one can argue, he's a HOF RB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG

can't we all get along and just go back to raggin on Snatchez??