Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Namath be in the Hall of Fame?

Should Namath be in the Hall of Fame?

I was never old enough to see Namath play and all I ever heard from my dad was how good he was. A few days ago I decided to look at his stats page and I have to say Im not impressed at all. 50 % career completion percentage , 50 more INT than TD and 65 career QB rating. I know it was a different era back in the 60's and 70's but to put it in perspective Ken Obrien has better career stats than Namath. Based on stats alone I have to believe Joe Namath is only in HOF based on super bowl 3. Sort of like Bill Mazeroski is in the HOF based on that 1 home run.

Namath Stats

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by greygoose11 View Post
    I was never old enough to see Namath play

Namath Stats

/ END THREAD.

Everyone knows I don't like Namath the person of today, but he was a pioneer back then. He had the gunslinger approach, and did throw a lot of interceptions, but also had a lot of success with the long ball. He was the first player ever to pass for over 4,000 yards in a season (and that's 14 games), and was one of the special players at the time. Yes, SBIII put him on the upper echelon of QBs, but unlike Eli Manning today who has 2 Superbowls - Joe Namath was a great quarterback for his generation regardless of that victory. Look up some other QB stats around the same time frame, they're not that dissimilar.

To say he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, you may as well take out Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke and Dick Butkus.

He had only two season with more TD's than INT.....Im just not seeing HOF material

Daryl Lamonica had better career stats
    Last edited by greygoose11; 09-25-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    He had only two season with more TD's than INT.....Im just not seeing HOF material

If you need to ask you'll never get it

Jets Insider VIP
    Football was different back then; there was more running and a lot of toughness. Namath had braces on both knees got shot up with pain killers etc. He was a fantastic athlete in general. His arm was phenomenal and he had a touch kinda like Aaron Rodgers of today. Yes he should be in the HOF.

I was never old enough to see Namath play and all I ever heard from my dad was how good he was. A few days ago I decided to look at his stats page and I have to say Im not impressed at all. 50 % career completion percentage , 50 more INT than TD and 65 career QB rating. I know it was a different era back in the 60's and 70's but to put it in perspective Ken Obrien has better career stats than Namath. Based on stats alone I have to believe Joe Namath is only in HOF based on super bowl 3. Sort of like Bill Mazeroski is in the HOF based on that 1 home run.

Namath Stats

I am old enough to have seen Namath play. It was a totally different game back then. If Joe Namath played today, with the rules of the current NFL, he would be unstoppable.

BTW, mentioning O'Brien in the same breath as Namath is laughable.

All Pro

Namath Stats
    ================================================== ====================

You need to stop spending so much time in your bouncy house troll boy.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ================================================== ====================

You need to stop spending so much time in your bouncy house troll boy.
    No troll just young Jet fan asking a question........if you don't like it move on gunnails

No troll just young Jet fan asking a question........if you don't like it move on gunnails
    In addition to the fact that the rules were different back then, he made the QB position a glamour position. More than Unitas, who was a workman at the position. Added to winning one of the most important football games ever.

I understand the rules were different back than. It was more of a run first league and Namath was one of the first to make the QB position what it is today . But based on the fact that he threw 50 plus more INT than TD is average or below average at best in any football era. I ask this question if Jets don't win Super Bowl does Namath get in HOF?

I understand the rules were different back than. It was more of a run first league and Namath was one of the first to make the QB position what it is today . But based on the fact that he threw 50 plus more INT than TD is average or below average at best in any football era. I ask this question if Jets don't win Super Bowl does Namath get in HOF?
    Probably not.

I have always thought no to be honest but the football HOF is not just about stats. He changed the way the game was played. He was a more successful Mike Vick of his time only for Hippies and less or a douch. Although not much less.

This gives me a better understanding of why he is in HOF. Sounds like It was more of how he evolved the game of football than his play on the field.

Namath Stats
    While he was not a GREAT player for many years, his stats are misleading. MOst good QBs back then had underwhelming numbers. Completely different era.

Jesse Owens won the gold in the 100m in germany wind-assisted in 10.3s

So he sucks compared to everyone now, right?

I'm sorry... But you bring it out in me. GFY. Namath is possibly the most important NFL player of the last 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I'm sorry... But you bring it out in me. GFY. Namath is possibly the most important NFL player of the last 50 years.
    I'm sure greygoose won't take it too personally when you told him to GFY. You told *me* that many times before and it's impossible....

...what?

Anyway, Joe is in the HOF because he's GOD and he deserved to be there due to his historic accomplishment.
    Last edited by Vin; 09-25-2013 at 09:19 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    well said.... and can we end this thread? This man is a cornerstone of our history.