Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Should Namath be in the Hall of Fame?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    Okay, I've been holding back but let me set this guy straight on Joe Namath......Joe came along at a time in American culture when people were resisting change and young people were about to let their voices be heard loud and clear. Vietnam was going on, the peace movement was kicking in and going against the norm was taking off. Namath was flashy, provocative, hip, and most of all, extremely talented! Big arm. super quick release, cocky, scanned the field left to right in a second and a half at most. I was ten years old and to me he was the coolest athlete I had ever seen! You have to understand this time in history to get it! Every kid that cool meant anything to in sports, was Joe Namath! And he was Broadway Joe! In New York on top of that! Was so popular he was staring in movies with hot babes like Ann Margaret who was at the time, SMOKIN! Elvis Presley introduced Joe Namath to the crowd at one of his Las Vegas shows as the greatest QB ever! Joe was in the audience.

He was a trend setter! Wore white shoes when everybody else wore black. Long hair when everybody else wore short hair. Fur coats on the sideline, drunk and hammered with the ladies the night before games and played the next day! HOF you ask? Yes his numbers say no but his mere existence in the NFL was revolutionary! He was an outstanding athlete at Alabama and in the NFL was as tough as they came. All the coaches that had to play against him in the NFL during his glory days are the ones who say he belongs in the HOF. John Madden leading the way! It's not even a question if his knees weren't destroyed. You already know or should know the impact of the AFL winning super bowl III. Joe Namath is a icon. Love him or hate him, he changed the game. HOF........NO DOUBT!
    Nice post.

I might add that Clyde Frazier was pretty cool too! He brought the swag as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Emmitt Smith won the Rushing title in 95 what's next Martin used the least toilet paper after taking a dump?? He always needed more carries to do what other did on less.. BTW Tiki Barber had 2 seasons after 30 of 1860 and 1662 and avg over 5 ypc each year..
    Emmit Smith averaged 4.2 ypc in his career,Martin 4 ypc.Martin by far averaged the fewest fumbles per carry in his era.The only one close was Priest Holmes

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sperm Edwards View Post
    so if Wilt Chamberlain gets hurt or plain quits the year after he drops 50 points a game he's not an HOF member either?
    After only 3 years in the league? I think you know the answer to that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Well since Vinny has more yardage and TD's then Montana I'll be looking for him real soon then..
    I said longevity is "A" factor. Not the only factor.

Emmitt Smith won the Rushing title in 95 what's next Martin used the least toilet paper after taking a dump?? He always needed more carries to do what other did on less.. BTW Tiki Barber had 2 seasons after 30 of 1860 and 1662 and avg over 5 ypc each year..
    Martin isnt because he needed more carries but then you mention Smith? Smith is the all time touches leader. Great RBs get touches. He was 31, Walter Payton had more at at 30 and had fewer yards. He was a workhorse that is what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Martin isnt because he needed more carries but then you mention Smith? Smith is the all time touches leader. Great RBs get touches. He was 31, Walter Payton had more at at 30 and had fewer yards. He was a workhorse that is what he did.
    Jusdt posted both of thier ypc stats.Tiny difference

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Jusdt posted both of thier ypc stats.Tiny difference
    Tiny difference is also Emmit did it on one of the best teams ever assembled. Martin did it with teams that couldnt win without him.

Tiny difference is also Emmit did it on one of the best teams ever assembled. Martin did it with teams that couldnt win without him.
    When i went to check out those stats, i found out that martin played two full seasons with torn ligaments in his knee. A warrior

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Want to play that game?? In 96 Martin was on the Bowl bound Pats but was out rushed by a back on the 1-15 Jets who had less carries named Murrell.. Oh and Murrell avg 4.1ypc and Martin 3.6

When i went to check out those stats, i found out that martin played two full seasons with torn ligaments in his knee. A warrior
    Priest and Martin are two guys that didnt know when to quit. Neither will be able to walk when they get older because of it. They gave the game all they had and more. Martin had had heart like Chrebet. 2 of my favorite players ever because of their heart.

Want to play that game?? In 96 Martin was on the Bowl bound Pats but was out rushed by a back on the 1-15 Jets who had less carries named Murrell.. Oh and Murrell avg 4.1ypc and Martin 3.6
    What? Not even getting your point.

Oh please. one game, or even one season doesn't mean squat. Whats your point, that Murrell was a better back than Martin

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Oh please. one game, or even one season doesn't mean squat. Whats your point, that Murrell was a better back than Martin
    Not at all he just wasn't this Great all time back that you make him out to be.. Before his old college coach became the OC in 2001 in his first 6 years Martin didn't avg 4 ypc in 3 of them after he was never under..Why do you think that was?? What was your favorite playoff game in Martins Jet career??

Not at all he just wasn't this Great all time back that you make him out to be.. Before his old college coach became the OC in 2001 in his first 6 years Martin didn't avg 4 ypc in 3 of them after he was never under..Why do you think that was?? What was your favorite playoff game in Martins Jet career??
    I think taking everything into consideration, Martins well deserving on being in the Hall.Where there more exiting backs that i'd rather watch, of course.A bunch.O.J was as exiting a back you'll ever see, no playoffs.I can't hold that against Martin.Even though that fumble against Detroit killed me.LOL

Maybe it is because the Pat OL sucked until 2001 when they brought in like 6 guys to play with Woody.

Hall Of Fame
    If a RB is going to have a short HoF career he needs to have like 5 or 6 dominant seasons. If Adrian Peterson retired today he is probably a HoFer. Martin was never the best RB or most exciting RB in the NFL but he played at a high-level for a long period of time. He is definitely a HoFer. I can't believe we are even having this conversation. He was nearly a first-ballot HoFer.

VT is not a HoFer b.c although he put up numbers, he had too many peaks and valleys. Longevity? Yes. Consistency? Not so much.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Maybe it is because the Pat OL sucked until 2001 when they brought in like 6 guys to play with Woody.
    See this is the excuse crap I hate.. In 97 behind the Jet line with O'Donnell as the QB Murrell had 7 td's on 300 carries and avg 3.6 ypc. IN 98 with Vinny having the best QB Stats in Jet History and the addition of Fabini and Mawae, Martin avg 3.5 8 tds on 69 more carries.. When excuses are needed no one does it better then Martinette's.. Oh and who can beat 14 yds rushing in the AFCCG??

Jets Insider VIP
    If Gale Sayers is in the Hall of Fame so should Namath -

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    If Gale Sayers is in the Hall of Fame so should Namath -

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If a RB is going to have a short HoF career he needs to have like 5 or 6 dominant seasons. If Adrian Peterson retired today he is probably a HoFer. Martin was never the best RB or most exciting RB in the NFL but he played at a high-level for a long period of time. He is definitely a HoFer. I can't believe we are even having this conversation. He was nearly a first-ballot HoFer.

VT is not a HoFer b.c although he put up numbers, he had too many peaks and valleys. Longevity? Yes. Consistency? Not so much.
    If Curtis wasn't a Jet and had a similar career elsewhere, people may have a different opinion.