Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees Eliminated From Playoff Contention

Yankees Eliminated From Playoff Contention

Discuss.

curious to see what happens with guys like Teixeira and Arod...i assume they would need to kind of start over as much as the payroll allows. That being said, i think there is zero to none chance they don't spend whatever they need to be competitive.

I heard this was only the second time in 19 years the yanks aren't in.

That's an amazing stat. I am sure they will retool and be right back in the thick of things next year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Jets Insider VIP
    Not a terrible result. Given the ridiculous amount of injuries this year, plus more ARod noise, Girardi did an amazing job keeping them in it until the last week. Actually, this team was more enjoyable to watch this season than many of the ones in previous years. They had a lot of fight in them.

Looking forward to next season Joba-less, Hughes-less and a suspended ARod.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Discuss.
    Older roster. Huge number of injuries. CC with a severely off year.

I was never a Girardi fan, but he did an excellent job of keeping the team in it until the last few weeks. Really, those 2 blown games against the Sox about 3 weeks ago took the air out of them.

Do you need more to discuss, or is that goo?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I heard this was only the second time in 19 years the yanks aren't in.

That's an amazing stat. I am sure they will retool and be right back in the thick of things next year.
    I heard Cano wants 305 million dollars. They are stupid to give him anything close to that. If he leaves, it might take an extra year or 2 to rebuild.

All Pro
    Very hard to complain as a Yanks fan. Hope Arod's suspension is upheld, would be a luxary tax gift. So many teams are able to lock up their young starts now, this farm systems has to produce. I think Tex will be .250/30/90 at best for the next few years, not terrible, no where near worth the money.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I heard Cano wants 305 million dollars. They are stupid to give him anything close to that. If he leaves, it might take an extra year or 2 to rebuild.
    I'm quite certain Cano isn't going to ask anyone for $305 million.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Just reporting what I heard on ESPN radio this morning.

However, if he wants an 8 year, 176 type deal, I would have to think you pass on that. 30 year old players don't age like they did 10 years ago without the PEDs.

What would you give him to resign?

This number is just the first of many trial balloons put out by the Jay Z team.

In an amazing coincidence, it just happens to be a few dollars more than the Arod deal.

No one is giving 10 years contracts to anyone anymore.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    This number is just the first of many trial balloons put out by the Jay Z team.

In an amazing coincidence, it just happens to be a few dollars more than the Arod deal.

No one is giving 10 years contracts to anyone anymore.
    Agreed.

The guy is a talent and a bonafide star, but something about his character and his odd lack of hustle (thats lack of respect for the game in my book) make me uneasy about any huge numbers and years.

With the holes we have to plug, he'd be wasted here in a rebuilding mode for at least a few years anyway, imho, why not cash in on him now and get those younger players in there sooner rather than later.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Just reporting what I heard on ESPN radio this morning.

However, if he wants an 8 year, 176 type deal, I would have to think you pass on that. 30 year old players don't age like they did 10 years ago without the PEDs.

What would you give him to resign?
    I just read that too and still don't believe my eyes. Jay Z is insane. Exposes him for the amateur he is. Obviously you start negotiations at a number higher than you expect to ultimately get, but keep it within reason at least. There isn't a team in baseball that would even consider that. It's completely laughable.

I love Cano. But I wouldn't go more than 5 years. I'd offer him 5/120 to start. If he asks for more than 6 years, enjoy the rest of your career elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Agreed.

The guy is a talent and a bonafide star, but something about his character and his odd lack of hustle (thats lack of respect for the game in my book) make me uneasy about any huge numbers and years.

With the holes we have to plug, he'd be wasted here in a rebuilding mode for at least a few years anyway, imho, why not cash in on him now and get those younger players in there sooner rather than later.

-
    Too late to cash in. Should have traded him in season.

Hall Of Fame
    I love Cano, he is talented but he is also an underachiever. I wouldn't go more than 6/120. Enough with these albatross contracts. He doesn't fill seats or increase YES ratings like ARod did so there is little off-the-field value for the Yanks

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Too late to cash in. Should have traded him in season.
    Not talking about trading him.

-

I can't imagine how lazy Cano will become when he no long er has another contract to work for. It would be crazzy to ffer him more than 6 years.

Not a terrible result. Given the ridiculous amount of injuries this year, plus more ARod noise, Girardi did an amazing job keeping them in it until the last week. Actually, this team was more enjoyable to watch this season than many of the ones in previous years. They had a lot of fight in them.

Looking forward to next season Joba-less, Hughes-less and a suspended ARod.
    Could not agree more, this was one of the more enjoyable seasons to watch as a fan. It will be an interesting offseason, making the playoffs 17 out 19 seasons is an amazing achievement.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Could not agree more, this was one of the more enjoyable seasons to watch as a fan. It will be an interesting offseason, making the playoffs 17 out 19 seasons is an amazing achievement.
    An incredible achievement. And the Yanks would be crazy to let Girardi walk. He is a top manager and he has shown an ability to learn and self-correct. He will only get better. The story of 2013 is injuries and the ineffectiveness of CC, Hughes and even some of the guys in the bullpen. Girardi almost made lemonade out of lemons.

I don't see a massive rebuilding of the Yanks this off-season. I see them scratching and clawing for a WC spot next season, then the spending taking effect for the 2015 season.

Absolute max I'd like to see the Yanks go for Cano is something like 6 years/$150 million. Basic negotiation strategy says you enter with a higher number than you expect to get, but his camp is insane with the figures they're floating out there. You have to keep it within some reason. Cano is a great player, but he's not an A-Rod or Pujols in their prime. He shouldn't even get half of this 10/305 nonsense.