Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yankees Eliminated From Playoff Contention

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I just read that too and still don't believe my eyes. Jay Z is insane. Exposes him for the amateur he is. Obviously you start negotiations at a number higher than you expect to ultimately get, but keep it within reason at least. There isn't a team in baseball that would even consider that. It's completely laughable.

I love Cano. But I wouldn't go more than 5 years. I'd offer him 5/120 to start. If he asks for more than 6 years, enjoy the rest of your career elsewhere.
    I don't think Jay Z is actually involved in the negotiations. He's a figurehead, nothing more. Like when he "owned" the Nets.

That being said, that number is bananas. Cano is a really solid player but has a bit of a lazy streak in him that will hurt a bit in regard to the number he is fetching.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. Jay Z is basically a recruiter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I don't think Jay Z is actually involved in the negotiations. He's a figurehead, nothing more. Like when he "owned" the Nets.

That being said, that number is bananas. Cano is a really solid player but has a bit of a lazy streak in him that will hurt a bit in regard to the number he is fetching.
    Well I didn't really mean Jay Z the person, I meant the agency. But yes.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I heard this was only the second time in 19 years the yanks aren't in.

That's an amazing stat. I am sure they will retool and be right back in the thick of things next year.
    And they will finish 2013 with a winning record.

It isn't like the only won 70 games.
    Last edited by Buster; 09-26-2013 at 11:47 PM.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I heard Cano wants 305 million dollars. They are stupid to give him anything close to that. If he leaves, it might take an extra year or 2 to rebuild.
    IMHO, they'd be fools to let him walk.

So they won't

The Lazy thing is overblown. Cano plays in the MLB not NBA, NFL or NHL.
    IMHO, the only real knock against Cano is that he plays 2B. Second base being the infield position where you put your worst infielder.
    Last edited by Buster; 09-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a great send off for MO last night. Everything was done well and he got the farewell he deserves. In this day and age of twatter and social media I dont know if we will ever see a legendary player that is so humble and somewhat understated as MO is and was. He will be missed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    IMHO, they'd be fools to let him walk.

So they won't

The Lazy thing is overblown. Cano plays in the MLB not NBA, NFL or NHL.
    IMHO, the only real knock against Cano is that he plays 2B. Second base being the infield position where you put your worst infielder.
    The fact that he plays 2B is a strength. You don't often get that kind of production out of the middle of the infield. And he is an outstanding defender. No one turns the DP better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think Rivera will be back at some point next season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Just reporting what I heard on ESPN radio this morning.

However, if he wants an 8 year, 176 type deal, I would have to think you pass on that. 30 year old players don't age like they did 10 years ago without the PEDs.

What would you give him to resign?
    10 years 220 which is the absolute most he'd get on the FA market.

Yankees resign Cano, Jeter moves to 3rd next season. We'll see what happens with the luxury tax and if the new owners want to go over it for 1 season. No one will agree with me but I think Rivera comes back one more season he is not even close to done. Yankees need a 1 and 2 starter and Brian McCann they need to be targeting in FA.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    10 years 220 which is the absolute most he'd get on the FA market.

Yankees resign Cano, Jeter moves to 3rd next season. We'll see what happens with the luxury tax and if the new owners want to go over it for 1 season. No one will agree with me but I think Rivera comes back one more season he is not even close to done. Yankees need a 1 and 2 starter and Brian McCann they need to be targeting in FA.
    Rivera has too much class to start Favreing his retirement