Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside evaluations of Geno Smith

Veteran

Outside evaluations of Geno Smith

Joe Caporoso - Iíve been impressed with Geno Smithís arm strength and athletic ability but most importantly his poise on the field. The game doesnít seem too big for him and he has a very even-keeled approach which combined with a short memory are terrific attributes for a New York quarterback to have. Smith seems to have a natural confidence about his game and isnít rattled by his mistakes.

Now, the mistakes have been ugly at times. Six interceptions in three games is way, way too many and he is still prone to sloppy mechanics and occasional poor decision making. I donít expect that to disappear but hopefully it will slow down or be limited as the season progresses. Through three games, I find it hard not to feel confident that Smith will be the guy for the rest of the season, gradually improve and be the opening day starter in 2014.

Mike Nolan - So far in the NFL, Geno has been extremely similar to what he was at West Virginia: inconsistent. At times Geno looks great. The most important thing Iíve seen from him is poise. He doesnít seem to get rattled in big moments or when things go wrong and has delivered a lot of throws while taking some big hits. Also, his deep ball has been one of the best in the NFL through 3 weeks. Other times, heís not so great. He struggles going through his progressions and tends to hold the ball too long. He has also had some bad turnovers mostly resulting from when he abandons his technique and doesnít drive off his back leg; leading to under throws. he good news is heís played 3 total games in his NFL career and will continue to develop his game moving forward. Genoís best game was clearly against Buffalo. He needs to build off of this momentum and limit turnovers in order to keep this offense rolling.

TJ Rosenthal - The difference between Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith wonít be found in the stats necessarily. They can be found in demeanor and responses after mistakes and team letdowns. Itís early. Three games in. Smith though, shows us that he is willing to attack downfield and throw with conviction even after undesirable outcomes on previous drives.

He has shown flashes of awareness in escaping the pocket, nice timing on screen plays and a confidence throwing deep. It hasnít been perfect, but we like what we see so far.

Cole Patterson - So far, Geno Smith has been a mixed bag. The good news is that Smith is not just ďnot Mark Sanchez.Ē Following Sanchezís injury and Smithís crowning as the starter, many feared that Smith was awarded the job for simply being the devil we didnít know. After three weeks, Smith has proved otherwise. Smith has many valuable attributes that Sanchez has always lacked, including: pure arm talent, mobility, poise, and leadership. Most importantly, Smith has shown the potential to win games on his own.

However, Smith is second in the NFL with six interceptions (second only to Eli Manningís eight). These turnovers can be attributed to unrefined read progression and poor decision making (failure to throw the ball away). This is an issue that needs to be fixed, fast. A turnover prone QB wonít keep his job long in this league. He also tends to hold on to the ball for too long, which is a symptom of indecisiveness.

The good news is that Smith has improved in every NFL game so far. Mistakes he made against the Bucs were absent against the Patriots. New mistakes reared their head against the Pats and he looked to address those against the Bills. Based on his drive to improve alone, the sky is the limit for #7. Its just a matter of him putting it together.

Mike OíConnor - I really love the steps that Geno is already making. In these days, we talk far too much about game-managers and ďsafeĒ quarterbacks. Smith isnít either of those, and thatís not necessarily a bad thing. Not only does that type of role not fit his skillset, but Marty Mornhinweg wonít allow him to be that type of quarterback in his offense, anyway. Smith isnít refined as a decision-maker, and his reads are even kind of slow. However, the point is, heís making up for the rookie mistakes that you get with him. Metaphorically, heís not falling face first when he throws a pick or misses a receiver, heís stumbling, then regaining balance and making up for it with a big-time throw. The accuracy has been respectable, and the timing has been inconsistent. Yet, at the end of the day, Geno Smith is proving that he has the pure arm talent and smarts to not only keep his team in games, but to be an electrifying player and win them himself. Sure, quarterbacks have bad games, but I feel confident in saying that Smith can only get better from here.

Connor Rogers - Pros: Excellent command of the offense, ďno fearĒ attitude, good leadership. Seems to be improving on reading coverages each week, as displayed against the Bills with excellent deep throws. Real tough kid, rarely displays pain and has taken a lot of big hits in order to get off big throws.

- Can make every NFL throw, possesses a top flight arm. Never afraid to give his receivers a chance to make a play on the ball. Reads when he needs to move, but rarely overreacts or spins out of control. Productive and efficient runner that forces defenses to contain him or pay the price.

Cons:

- Accuracy has been an issue at times as displayed in the multiple interception games. Shorter throws are ironically when he gets off target. Can be a victim of staring down his targets leading to safeties shifting over in coverage.

- Learning when to throw the ball away but at times tries too hard to make the big play. Needs to learn basic situational stuff, as shown with risky throw while in field goal range down by three in New England.

Dalbin Osorio - Geno Smith has looked better than I expected. When watching the draft, I hoped Jets didnít take him with one of their first round picks because there wouldíve been too much pressure to play him right away and I didnít know if he could succeed. Plus, he played predominantly in the shotgun at West Virginia, so I figured thereíd be a learning curve. The 6 interceptions are brutal but none can be qualified as anything other than rookie mistakes.

I know that Geno doesnít like to use that as an excuse, but Iíll use it for him. However, the kid can sling it. His deep throw to Santonio Holmes was a beautiful throw, and he has made alot of them so far. Alot of credit goes to Marty Morningwheg for realizing that Geno feels more comfortable in the shotgun and putting him in the gun repeatedly, but Geno still has to make the plays. His poise is something that Iíve been impressed with as well, because heís been able to bounce back and not hang his head (something that his predecessor repeatedly did) and continue to lead his team.

The one thing thatís impressed me the most about Geno is that heís been able to improve so quickly in terms of knowing when to throw the ball away. The game against the Patriots couldíve been a win instead of a loss if Geno, after rolling to the left, just throws the ball away instead of forcing the pass to Santonio Holmes. Faced with a similar situation against the Bills the following week, Geno rolled to his right and threw the ball away. His short term memory has been on display this season. You knew thereíd be growing pains, but I didnít expect him to look this good so fast. When the game starts to slow down for him, I absolutely believe he can be one of the better QBs in the league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

1) You lifted this from the Jet fan website 'Turn on the Jets'. At least link to the article.

2) These are not 'outside' evaluations of Geno Smith. They're the evaluations of a bunch of 20-something year old Jets fans who write for a blog. I know the sister of one of the writers you have quoted above. Want to know his football expertise? Zero. Want to know how old he is? 23. He probably also posts here.
    Last edited by shuler82; 09-26-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Veteran
    1) I didn't "lift" it I cut a pasted an article as do many people here, should i have included the link?
    2) the only name I recognized was Mike Nolan, who I assumed was the DC in Atlanta. I realized some were bloggers but given my former assumption, thought that it was just a diverse group.

These people do not know more than any of us who watch the game.

His footwork/balance/weight transfer is what leads to the majority of turnovers. The first 2 are the only ones who mention it I believe.

I also do not like when MM has him roll out to the short side of the field. Those plays need to be scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by requiem View Post
    These people do not know more than any of us who watch the game.

His footwork/balance/weight transfer is what leads to the majority of turnovers. The first 2 are the only ones who mention it I believe.

I also do not like when MM has him roll out to the short side of the field. Those plays need to be scrapped.
    I think some plays are simply bait.
    At some point NE or some other team is gonna think they know exactly what play MM is running and they are gonna get burned for a TD.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    1) I didn't "lift" it I cut a pasted an article as do many people here, should i have included the link?
    Including an article written elsewhere without sourcing where it's from is indeed lifting.

2) the only name I recognized was Mike Nolan, who I assumed was the DC in Atlanta. I realized some were bloggers but given my former assumption, thought that it was just a diverse group.
    http://turnonthejets.com/about-2/

I'm sure they're a group of nice guys, but its just a group of fans on a blog. I don't mean to come across harsh, but your post would make it seem as if these were scouts or coaches commenting on our QB (which it seems you actually thought you were posting)

Yes - you should have included the link. Preferably at the top.

BTW, turnonthejets is a great site. Much better articles than what you see from the beat writers...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    1) You lifted this from the Jet fan website 'Turn on the Jets'. At least link to the article.

2) These are not 'outside' evaluations of Geno Smith. They're the evaluations of a bunch of 20-something year old Jets fans who write for a blog. I know the sister of one of the writers you have quoted above. Want to know his football expertise? Zero. Want to know how old he is? 23. He probably also posts here.

LMAO!!!! Good stuff.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Including an article written elsewhere without sourcing where it's from is indeed lifting.

I'm sure they're a group of nice guys, but its just a group of fans on a blog. I don't mean to come across harsh, but your post would make it seem as if these were scouts or coaches commenting on our QB (which it seems you actually thought you were posting)
    Thanks for the clarification. Some of those names - especially Mike Nolan, seemed familiar so I assumed that those were scouts in the bidness. I didn't know it was Mike Nolan from Canarsie and TJ Rosenthal from Lawrence....High school.

Seems sorta like Boiler Room. "Hi this is Mike Lowenthal from JT Marlin in Manhattan - I'm sure you heard of us."

Who cares? I honestly do not.

What's being said is nothing more than what we probably all think about Geno's performance. So now you are concerned about things like footnoting sources? Give it up.

Jimmy Carter asked his daughter Amy about what she thought about Geno. She likes him.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Jimmy Carter asked his daughter Amy about what she thought about Geno. She likes him.
    Amy pic please

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Who cares? I honestly do not.

What's being said is nothing more than what we probably all think about Geno's performance. So now you are concerned about things like footnoting sources? Give it up.
    footnoting sources is a common courtesy online. And yes, when a thread is titled 'outside evaluations of Geno Smith' the first thing I'd be interested in is WHO is giving these evaluations. Quite a difference when the OP thinks he's quoting ex coach Mike Nolan, when he's actually quoting one time NFL films production assistant Mike Nolan.

edit: that being said, i do read their website. i can appreciate any Jets fans devoted enough to provide Jets analysis.. but I take it for what it is- fellow fans giving an opinion.
    Last edited by shuler82; 09-26-2013 at 06:33 PM.

footnoting sources is a common courtesy online. And yes, when a thread is titled 'outside evaluations of Geno Smith' the first thing I'd be interested in is WHO is giving these evaluations. Quite a difference when the OP thinks he's quoting ex coach Mike Nolan, when he's actually quoting one time NFL films production assistant Mike Nolan.

edit: that being said, i do read their website. i can appreciate any Jets fans devoted enough to provide Jets analysis.. but I take it for what it is- fellow fans giving an opinion.
    But why do you need the common courtesy of providing links to articles you have already read? I think you're just trying to call him out or make him feel stupid?

Some people do not know what they should think about information until they know where it came from first.

Veteran

Actually "Outside evaluations of Geno Smith", commits to nothing other than people probably not on the board. I could have included posts from a patriots board, opinions from various GMs around the league, or quotes from Skip Bayless and co., and the post title would have been equally accurate.

As far as neglecting the link, my apologies. I was not attemptimg to plagiarise the "20-something year old Jets fans" that your are so admirably defending. sheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Some people do not know what they should think about information until they know where it came from first.
    Exactly my point. Does anyone really need the media to spoon feed your beliefs to you to the point that you need the source. The internet is the wild west. Get used to it. You're a big boy, you can generate your own opinion. So why do we need someone policing articles posted on the wild west?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Good point. I will definitely take that into account.

Good point. I will definitely take that into account.
    Personally, I liked the article... Haven't seen it before, and didn't really care where it originated from.

Not exactly earth-shattering news on Geno for those of us who know, but the kid deserves some REAL info about him after all of the tabloid lies from everyone else.