Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outside evaluations of Geno Smith

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    Yeah, having written for a site previously, you should really leave a link anytime you are taking most their content word for word. It is essentially, copyright infringement, but when you leave a link, it benefits both parties. And I think the fact that they are regular joe's makes it even more amiss because they aren't making much money if at all, and rely on hits to their websites.

Saying all that, I think it's also important to not dismiss their views just because they aren't established writers. We said it all the time, about how KRL reports of camp were much more informative than the stuff that main stream media was putting out there on a regular basis. Just because you are famous, doesn't mean, your evaluation, or technical advise, is more advanced than some regular person with intellect watching the game. How many main stream media experts shoved it down our throats at the draft that Geno Smith was a dink and dunk guy from the Air Raid, and that we're going to be throwing behind the line of scrimmage more so than we did with Sanchez? And how many non experts who happened to watch Geno Smith and WVU, said, that wasn't the case, and that he had a very strong arm and was very good at throwing downfield? I don't think the dismissal of their opinion based on media exposure is all too wise.

Onto their points: Yes, Geno Smith seems to be improving as the year has moved on and he does have a very good arm. I agree with most of their assessments.
    At least in this case, NONSENSE.

First of all, this is a damn blog. I'm sure the writers of that blog will really get their panties in a bunch because the pasters source was not linked.

Second of all, have you forgotten where you are? This is called the internet, otherwise known as the f*cking wild west. Any one can post anything on the internet. It's called READER BEWARE. Take everything you see on the internet with a grain of salt. You never know if it is actually true.

Now, I'm not trying to be rude here and I'm sure your employers did tell you to link sources, but if does not happen? NO ONE is going to jail or going to be sued.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Why should we worry about legit sources ... Manish & Cimini don't
    Good point

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my worthless ( like writers etc.) early assessment, Geno has a ligit chance of being just as good as McNabb. However, he must be surrounded by the right position players and they do not have to be all world. The other unknown is how tough is he, he doesn't expose himself too much, but what and how many cracks can he take?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

First of all, this is a damn blog. I'm sure the writers of that blog will really get their panties in a bunch because the pasters source was not linked.

Second of all, have you forgotten where you are? This is called the internet, otherwise known as the f*cking wild west. Any one can post anything on the internet. It's called READER BEWARE. Take everything you see on the internet with a grain of salt. You never know if it is actually true.

Now, I'm not trying to be rude here and I'm sure your employers did tell you to link sources, but if does not happen? NO ONE is going to jail or going to be sued.
    Look, all of their content is copyrighted. They may or may not give a ****, but that's not for you to determine. And by taking their content word for word without leaving a link, it violates the terms of rules for JI when you sign up as well. They put it there to protect themselves, so the blame goes to the poster. It is very rare for it to matter, but please don't advocate it as non-existent.

It in all likelihood won't matter, and I didn't say their website is going to be coming after this poster or anything. But please don't post things that are just factually wrong. The internet maybe wild and all, but copyright infringement is true, and there are plenty of cases on all kinds of online content. Yes, YOU can post anything on the internet, not debating that. It's when you post other people's work without proper credit that we're talking about. Again, you do it enough, and they cared enough, then yes there are penalties for copyright infringement.

They aren't going to come after him, and I think anyone who mentioned about the link is more concerned about courtesy. It's not like people here are out with pitchforks to burn the poster or anything. But to say it's nonsense is erroneous.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Look, all of their content is copyrighted. They may or may not give a ****, but that's not for you to determine. And by taking their content word for word without leaving a link, it violates the terms of rules for JI when you sign up as well. They put it there to protect themselves, so the blame goes to the poster. It is very rare for it to matter, but please don't advocate it as non-existent.

It in all likelihood won't matter, and I didn't say their website is going to be coming after this poster or anything. But please don't post things that are just factually wrong. The internet maybe wild and all, but copyright infringement is true, and there are plenty of cases on all kinds of online content. Yes, YOU can post anything on the internet, not debating that. It's when you post other people's work without proper credit that we're talking about. Again, you do it enough, and they cared enough, then yes there are penalties for copyright infringement.

They aren't going to come after him, and I think anyone who mentioned about the link is more concerned about courtesy. It's not like people here are out with pitchforks to burn the poster or anything. But to say it's nonsense is erroneous.
    This. If you exercised a modicum of courtesy, you wouldn't have to worry about the IP implications. If you pull an article, blog entry, etc. from somewhere, post a link or, at minimum, say where its coming from. First off, it allows the reader to put the piece in perspective. Second, it gives the appropriate credit where its due. Pretty simple.

The OP didn't do anything malicious, but its certainly worthy of noting. We are pretty lax here re posting things from outside sources. Most other sites are much less liberal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

In this case it IS nonsense and that is what we are talking about. We're not talking about official copyrighted material here and you know that just as well as I do. If you want to go all mental on the guy posting ones opinion about a rookie QB, well, I just don't get all of the hysteria. Take a chill pill.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure she's illegitimate.
    Vinny T was probably a PLAYAH back in the day....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    In this case it IS nonsense and that is what we are talking about. We're not talking about official copyrighted material here and you know that just as well as I do. If you want to go all mental on the guy posting ones opinion about a rookie QB, well, I just don't get all of the hysteria. Take a chill pill.
    Actually, we are. You should probably just stop. You're digging a bigger hole.

And no one is getting all hysterical. You just happen to be pontificating on something you know next to nothing about.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As you are no doubt well aware, the "official" copyright fairy waves her magic wand over content when you post it - and then Ding! It's copyrighted.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    This. If you exercised a modicum of courtesy, you wouldn't have to worry about the IP implications. If you pull an article, blog entry, etc. from somewhere, post a link or, at minimum, say where its coming from. First off, it allows the reader to put the piece in perspective. Second, it gives the appropriate credit where its due. Pretty simple.

The OP didn't do anything malicious, but its certainly worthy of noting. We are pretty lax here re posting things from outside sources. Most other sites are much less liberal.
    Yeah, it's really just the courtesy because they took time to put it together, and I'm not even saying the OP did it intentionally.

It is copyrighted.

http://turnonthejets.com/legal-footer/

Lol, I mentioned it's in a way copy right infringement and that people should just post links to give credit where it's due, and moved onto other issues. I'm just responding to you now, because you said it was nonsense and now untrue. Both of which were wrong.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    As you are no doubt well aware, the "official" copyright fairy waves her magic wand over content when you post it - and then Ding! It's copyrighted.

And where did you lift that photo from young lady?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    And where did you lift that photo from young lady?
    exactly- glad you caught the irony

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

You can rant all you want, but why don't you ask Sooth if he'd appreciate you copying full articles and JI blog posts on other sites and not linking back to JI.com? I bet we know the answer.

Sure you CAN do whatever you want. People are just pointing out that there's a right way to do it, and then there's the "**** 'em" way to do it. Its called etiquette. That may be lost on some.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    You just happen to be pontificating on something you know next to nothing about.
    This is new?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Some people do not know what they should think about information until they know where it came from first.
    Well, considering that it's the source of the information that matters when regarding 'outside evaluations' of Geno Smith, I'm not quite sure you're making the point that you think you are. Personally, I'd take an evaluation written by an ex head coach or QB a little more seriously than one written by my kid brother. But hey, that's just me.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What the hell is wrong with putting up a link? I can't believe that some people - who presumably would go @pesh!t if someone stole their property - can't seem to understand the idea of intellectual property. Just put up the link. JFC.

The guys who run that site are huge fans. At least some of them played college football, which means that they know 1000X more about X's and O's than Dick C. and MM. Put up a link in the future.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    You can rant all you want, but why don't you ask Sooth if he'd appreciate you copying full articles and JI blog posts on other sites and not linking back to JI.com? I bet we know the answer.

Sure you CAN do whatever you want. People are just pointing out that there's a right way to do it, and then there's the "**** 'em" way to do it. Its called etiquette. That may be lost on some.
    Why don't YOU go ask the people at turnonthejets.com if they are going to get the police and have CraigFL ARRESTED and prosecuted for copyright infringement?!

I BET WE KNOW THE ANSWER

And that's the point that you and the rest of these dingbats just do not seem to get. It's ONLY copyright infringement if the owner of such property decides it is a problem with that specific person. They see it a million times a day. Do you really think they prosecute everyone that does not post a link to their information?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Why don't YOU go ask the people at turnonthejets.com if they are going to get the police and have CraigFL ARRESTED and prosecuted for copyright infringement?!

I BET WE KNOW THE ANSWER

And that's the point that you and the rest of these dingbats just do not seem to get. It's ONLY copyright infringement if the owner of such property decides it is a problem with that specific person. They see it a million times a day. Do you really think they prosecute everyone that does not post a link to their information?
    holy ****, you're dense.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I like turtles.

©2009 Zombie Kid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love when mainejet argues law.