Thread: Article: Drafting Geno was a dream come true for Hill.

Hall Of Fame

Article: Drafting Geno was a dream come true for Hill.

Seth Walder ‏@SethWalderNYDN
    The drafting of Geno Smith was a dream-come-true for Stephen Hill -- literally. #nyj | Story: http://nydn.us/1fr8L0j

Geno Smith is a dream come true for Jets WR Stephen Hill.

When the Jets drafted Geno Smith in the second round this past April, it was a dream come true for Stephen Hill literally.

The second-year wide receiver was home watching the draft, saw the Jets select Smith and then dozed off. When he woke up a few minutes later, he couldn’t remember if the Smith selection had actually happened.

“I thought I was dreaming, for a minute. I saw it, and then I went asleep,” Hill recalled. “I woke up, and I was like, ‘We drafted a quarterback... right?’ My fiancé was like, ‘Yeah.’

“‘We drafted Geno? For real?,’” he said afterward.”I thought it was a dream. It was a good one.”

RELATED: MEHTA: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS? ALMOST TIME TO TALK FOR JETS

For Hill, the reality of a young receiver partnering up with a young quarterback is better than he could have imagined. Hill made three catches for 108 yards, including a beautifully thrown 54-yard TD pass from Smith, in the Jets’ 27-20 win over the Bills on Sunday. That performance has not only fired up Hill, it’s given the organization hope Smith can be the Jets’ franchise quarterback.

“Oh yeah definitely. Especially when he first came in, I was... definitely looking ahead. Especially because JK’s (Jeremy Kerley) still here,” Hill said. “Yeah, we got a young quarterback. Hopefully he can get that chance to start, which he got now. Now, we’re just looking forward to him keeping it up. He’s doing a good job.

“He wants to be the franchise quarterback, so we’re definitely behind him with that. We got more years with him, so this is good.”

When told of Hill’s scenario, Smith preferred not to dream, but live in the now.

RELATED: JETS INSIDER: SANTONIO ISN'T HOLMES FREE YET

“You don’t want to look too far ahead,” Smith said. “We’re young guys, we’re unproven players, but we’d rather come out and practice and prove it in practice.”

The optimism surrounding Smith comes from his ability to throw the deep ball — especially in Sunday’s win.

That vertical passing game is what Rex Ryan imagined when, at the conclusion of last season, he said he wanted the offense to mirror the Jets’ aggressive defensive style. The coach claimed Wednesday that Marty Mornhinweg’s downfield approach was exactly what he was looking for.

“Absolutely,” Ryan said. “Hey, we’re going to attack you with the run, but if you stick ’em all down there, that’s going to allow us to have some one-on-one opportunities on the outside and we’re absolutely going to take shots down the field.”

Hall Of Fame
    You have to like all the positive things Geno's team mates are saying about him. From Colon to Holmes, now Hill, it really seems like the offensive players are confident in Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You have to like all the positive things Geno's team mates are saying about him. From Colon to Holmes, now Hill, it really seems like the offensive players are confident in Geno.
    QBs have to produce on the field. You can say all the right things in meetings and pressers but the respect of your peers is ultimately won on the field. I think all the players like Mark as a person and appreciated that he worked hard but at the end of the day it is a results based business.

Jets Insider VIP
    Feel bad for Shonn Greene. Guy had 10 guys in the box on every snap he took for the last 2 years.

LOL he kinda smacked Mark around with that comment.

Fcuk the NYDN and Manish.

That said, thanks for posting.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Fcuk the NYDN and Manish.

That said, thanks for posting.
    Seth Walder is actually pretty good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Feel bad for Shonn Greene. Guy had 10 guys in the box on every snap he took for the last 2 years.
    He played well come playoff time..

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I agree, I've always said it was impossible for Hill as a rook to be successful in that dogsh1t system Sparano was running.

As for Greene it sure makes you respect him as a physical runner, like you say nobody respected our passing game last year so he was running into a stacked box all the time and still managed to rack up a 1000 yards.

That said I'm still not sorry to see the back of him either.