Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Geno's Backpedal

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Geno's Backpedal

Watching Jets postgame Lucas brings up a good point. Geno has a very bad habit of backpedaling when he see's pressure rather than stepping up or moving laterally. I'm shocked that the coaches haven't been hounding him on this matter. Other teams are going to really start taking advantage of this if it isn't corrected very quickly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes this is a really bad habit of his, he actually does it when no pressure is coming and he is just scanning the field. He always seems to be going backwards

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could be mistaken but I think that was a screen play. And the guy was on him pretty quickly. The two things that ruined that play were Geno's poor mechanics and the blocking. Once he dropped the ball like that he was doomed. Needs to keep the ball above his waist with two hands on it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's actually a problem that a lot of running QBs from shotguns do (you see Vick do this a lot) because backing up prevents you from being bottled up incase you need to run. The only problem is, Geno doesn't run much (and even if he started, it'd be called back for some penalty at this point), nor does he have open field skills to make defenders miss. And the times he's stepping up in the pocket, he's getting drilled. I don't mind him backing up as much, the problem is backing up, and still not deciding what to do. He can back up, and then roll out to throw it away if there is nothing, but don't just keep going backwards.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He sure likes to burp the baby

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not a good habit, but with the amount of immediate pressure in the Guard/Center gap he saw today, sometimes it was necessary to even have a chance.

No mistake about it, this was a huge, huge clunker from Geno(as well as pretty much everyone else) and it showed the holes he's got in his game and the things he needs to develop. Not close to giving up on him, but it's clear(and should have been expected) he's got a long way to go in his development.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically was responsible for what should have been 9 points today.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    Watching Jets postgame Lucas brings up a good point. Geno has a very bad habit of backpedaling when he see's pressure rather than stepping up or moving laterally. I'm shocked that the coaches haven't been hounding him on this matter. Other teams are going to really start taking advantage of this if it isn't corrected very quickly.
    Last week's announcer (whoever it was possibly Mayock who people love to shred here) said that during the game. So good for Lucas for watching and listening to another announcer and repeating it a week later

Also scouts noticed it before the draft
    But late in the year, when teams started pressuring him up the middle and forcing him from the pocket, scouts found that the quarterback's vision, accuracy, poise and decision-making declined sharply. He remained steady and efficient when the pocket was clean and he had time -- flashing outstanding ability as a passer -- but he scuffled otherwise.
    And so the book on Smith changed, with lots of questions popping up about his readiness to deal with NFL defenses. Amid all the hysteria of late, that dynamic -- what happened late in West Virginia's season -- was probably Smith's biggest problem on draft day.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Last week's announcer (whoever it was possibly Mayock who people love to shred here) said that during the game. So good for Lucas for watching and listening to another announcer and repeating it a week later
    Well personally I think both Mayock and Lucas are terrible but this was a good point regardless. It would be nice if one of our brilliant journalists would ask Rex about that in a press conference.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is why many of Geno's passes are easy pick-offs - he's throwing off the back foot, and not getting enough into the throw. When he's moving forward he can throw a strike, but all the backpedal throws are undermining his good plays.

Not something that will be sorted overnight, but I'm sure the coaches are already aware and working on it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    4 games into his pro career, I think that Smith's biggest fault has been his mechanics, which is not surprising considering where he played in college. In the offseason, he is going to have to really drill on his footwork.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    4 games into his pro career, I think that Smith's biggest fault has been his mechanics, which is not surprising considering where he played in college. In the offseason, he is going to have to really drill on his footwork.
    Yea I would like to see him work with a QB guru in the offseason and clean up his mechanics....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    his mechanics are responsible for i'm guessing half the turnovers. sometimes he's not stepping into his throws and the pass isn't as strong as it should be. other times he should step up in the pocket instead of backpeddling, b/c that's when those fumbles happen. he already understands to throw the ball away, and now he needs to learn how to get down on the ground when the pass rush is too intense, keep both hands on the ball and let the punter punt it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Geno. He's calm, cool, and collected. He's got a very strong arm, but IMO this post hits the nail on the head as far as the source of most of his problems. Some say his footwork is bad. In reality he has no footwork. He is a "drifter". He consistently drifts backwards as he scans the field and either drifts so far back that he is in peril of losing a ton of yards or he ends up throwing off his back foot.

The pass play dictates the number of steps for the drop back, and when he gets there he has to stay there and either plant and throw off his front foot or step up in the pocket (assuming Vlad is not whiffing on his black). If he scans his options and no one is open he needs to scramble for yards or throw the ball away. It sounds simple, but the increased speed of the game from college to the NFL is something every player has to get used to, and I understand that it is hard for Geno to work on his "technique" while everything his a happening so fast around him.

That said, Geno, you are not in Morgantown anymore. This is the NFL, where you can not coast on ability alone. If he figures this out and puts in the work to improve his feet, he should be fine. If not, cut bait and move on. As far as I'm concerned, he's got the next 8 games to vastly improve his footwork. The turnovers will fall off with improved footwork.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post

That said, Geno, you are not in Morgantown anymore. This is the NFL, where you can not coast on ability alone. If he figures this out and puts in the work to improve his feet, he should be fine. If not, cut bait and move on. As far as I'm concerned, he's got the next 8 games to vastly improve his footwork. The turnovers will fall off with improved footwork.
    This.

But I am hopeful that he is about as intelligent as he looks calm and composed on the field. I think we all know we should be 1-3 right now were it not for a mistake made by an inexperienced defensive player for Tampa. Let's see how he improves!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    his mechanics are responsible for i'm guessing half the turnovers. sometimes he's not stepping into his throws and the pass isn't as strong as it should be. other times he should step up in the pocket instead of backpeddling, b/c that's when those fumbles happen. he already understands to throw the ball away, and now he needs to learn how to get down on the ground when the pass rush is too intense, keep both hands on the ball and let the punter punt it.
    You simply do not know that. There may be some of that on some throws, but I really think it is more about Geno wanting to throw TO the receiver in tight windows, and late down the middle in the NFL that is a pick. He needs to lead the receiver, throw back shoulder or go to his checkdown in situations like that. All things I am sure the coaching staff is drilling into him right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    You simply do not know that. There may be some of that on some throws, but I really think it is more about Geno wanting to throw TO the receiver in tight windows, and late down the middle in the NFL that is a pick. He needs to lead the receiver, throw back shoulder or go to his checkdown in situations like that. All things I am sure the coaching staff is drilling into him right now.
    mayock said as much at the end of the jet/NE game. they showed a replay of a pick and mayock said it was a pick b/c geno threw off his back foot and didn't throw it hard enough. yesterday's first pick was underthrown, it's happening game after game.