Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we please just stick to the long term rebuild plan and back Geno?

Smile Can we please just stick to the long term rebuild plan and back Geno?

Look yesterday was hard to stomach and we are all frustrated, but this is just a massive overreaction to a bad loss and as usual the QB is the scapegoat.

We hired Idzik to do a job and that was to provide long term sustainable success and change the culture of short-sighted quick fix plans by the previous regime under Tanny.

We cried for change and we got it, Idzik's first port of call was to address the shambolic level of play we have all witnessed at the QB position the last few years and we came out with a potential star in Geno.

Now we are all entitled to our opinions and evaluations but can we just be a little more realistic when evaluating Geno? He has showed flashes of brilliance and was always going to turn the ball over in a pass heavy system that is not designed to protect him.

This year is about Geno taking his lumps and putting his experiences in the memory bank, we go into 2014 loaded in the draft and in a good cap situation to be aggressive in free agency.

Everything points towards building an offence around a more polished Geno in 2014 so can we please just give the guy some growing room and accept that days like yesterday was always going to happen when you fully buy into a rebuild with a rookie QB.

One more thing can we please drop the Simms as a viable option charade, this guy will take the same lumps Geno will until we again call for change once he hits his 1st spell of adversity.

We run the risk of ruining Geno if we continue to give him a short leash, he needs to play free and loose and without fear of making mistakes or he will go into a shell and not play to his strengths.

We have something here fellas, now come on and get behind the kid, he needs our support now more then ever.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Good post. I think our 2-1 start and the promise Geno showed against the Bills raised everyone's expectations. A good showing & win against Tenn would've put us at 3-1 and legitimized us. The reality is our team isn't quite ready for prime time and that Geno is a rookie, and there will be certain weeks where he looks painfully like one. I'm still hoping for .500 this year, but yesterday was a brutal reality check about where our team is at.

Hall Of Fame
    Great post Harrier

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Look yesterday was hard to stomach and we are all frustrated, but this is just a massive overreaction to a bad loss and as usual the QB is the scapegoat.

We hired Idzik to do a job and that was to provide long term sustainable success and change the culture of short-sighted quick fix plans by the previous regime under Tanny.

We cried for change and we got it, Idzik's first port of call was to address the shambolic level of play we have all witnessed at the QB position the last few years and we came out with a potential star in Geno.

Now we are all entitled to our opinions and evaluations but can we just be a little more realistic when evaluating Geno? He has showed flashes of brilliance and was always going to turn the ball over in a pass heavy system that is not designed to protect him.

This year is about Geno taking his lumps and putting his experiences in the memory bank, we go into 2014 loaded in the draft and in a good cap situation to be aggressive in free agency.

Everything points towards building an offence around a more polished Geno in 2014 so can we please just give the guy some growing room and accept that days like yesterday was always going to happen when you fully buy into a rebuild with a rookie QB.

One more thing can we please drop the Simms as a viable option charade, this guy will take the same lumps Geno will until we again call for change once he hits his 1st spell of adversity.

We run the risk of ruining Geno if we continue to give him a short leash, he needs to play free and loose and without fear of making mistakes or he will go into a shell and not play to his strengths.

We have something here fellas, now come on and get behind the kid, he needs our support now more then ever.
    Laughable. Geno is a second round pick. No one wanted him UNTIL he happens to fall to us and the value was right. Nothing more nothing less. He is NOT the face of the franchise nor is he a great QB. He doesn't make rookie mistakes, he makes STUPID mistakes. Things you learn in peewee not to do. Build around Geno, yeah okay...........

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Good post. I think our 2-1 start and the promise Geno showed against the Bills raised everyone's expectations. A good showing & win against Tenn would've put us at 3-1 and legitimized us. The reality is our team isn't quite ready for prime time and that Geno is a rookie, and there will be certain weeks where he looks painfully like one. I'm still hoping for .500 this year, but yesterday was a brutal reality check about where our team is at.
    I agree, I just don't feel that pressing reset everytime the chips are down is the right thing to do.

We are 2-2, and are showing positive signs of building out of Tanny's mess.

Successful teams with good front offices have a plan and don't deviate from it.

If we pull the plug on Geno we will regret it.

All League
    +1

Bingo!

Jets fans, as they tend to do, jumped too early instead of waiting. And now they want everything changed again.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    Laughable. Geno is a second round pick. No one wanted him UNTIL he happens to fall to us and the value was right. Nothing more nothing less. He is NOT the face of the franchise nor is he a great QB. He doesn't make rookie mistakes, he makes STUPID mistakes. Things you learn in peewee not to do. Build around Geno, yeah okay...........
    Hmmm And Wilson was a 3rd rd pick and had a total of 10 picks as a rookie Geno at 8 is closing in fast..

Only thing laughable is this mess of a post you just constructed.

What's your solution then? Or is it just easier to sh1t all over a rookie now the chips are down? Bet your opinion was different post Buffalo last week!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

What's your solution then? Or is it just easier to sh1t all over a rookie now the chips are down? Bet your opinion was different post Buffalo last week!
    QFT.. The vast majority of the Board needs Prozac on a weekly basis.. We get more threads after a loss then a win.. Some just love to wallow in misery.. You have to play Geno and give him a year for his OJT with Sanchez getting surgery it's going to kill some of the Rex haters that just knew Rex would play him this year..

It's quite simple. He's a stopgap now that Mark is out for the season (as Mark was). UNDERSTAND once and for all. It was a VALUE pick. The true STARTING QB for the Jets is not on the roster yet, hopefully next year. But your ridiculous post of a potential star in Geno is ignorant. Why would my opinion change? Because we beat Buffalo? Geno is a back up (hopefully)- period. A better Pat White.

It's quite simple. He's a stopgap now that Mark is out for the season (as Mark was). UNDERSTAND once and for all. It was a VALUE pick. The true STARTING QB for the Jets is not on the roster yet, hopefully next year. But your ridiculous post of a potential star in Geno is ignorant. Why would my opinion change? Because we beat Buffalo? Geno is a back up (hopefully)- period. A better Pat White.
    I will say this. If he doesn't show significant progress by the end of the year, then get another QB. If he does, don't get one.

All Pro
    I've always been happy to give Geno at least this season, and we'll see where we go from there. Too many people expect us to be able to draft a perfect QB that is Superbowl bound from day one. Life's just not like that.

Showing a bit of belief in a rookie is ignorant....right ok!

So you truly believe that Geno has not shown ability and flashes of great play-making ability?

Speaking of ignorance it seems to me you're labelling Geno a backup based on his draft position? How'd that last high 1st round QB work out for us?

Hall Of Fame
    I agree, I just don't feel that pressing reset everytime the chips are down is the right thing to do.

We are 2-2, and are showing positive signs of building out of Tanny's mess.

Successful teams with good front offices have a plan and don't deviate from it.

If we pull the plug on Geno we will regret it.
    I think this franchise would regret it long term...

We need to find out EXACTLY what we have on personnel and how we need to approach the draft. We need to know who can be developed and who needs to be replaced. Veteran or Rookie.
    We have a lot of money and draft picks to work with and if Geno develops then you're whole strategy changes.
    Fortunately there aren't many things to look at when it comes to one side of the ball... And that's not an easy thing to be able to rely on.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    QFT.. The vast majority of the Board needs Prozac on a weekly basis.. We get more threads after a loss then a win.. Some just love to wallow in misery.. You have to play Geno and give him a year for his OJT with Sanchez getting surgery it's going to kill some of the Rex haters that just knew Rex would play him this year..
    Geno was drafted as a project, who would need time to develop. Then, due to an ankle, he didn't even have a full preseason. Oh, and by the way, he has no superior offensive players around him. No "go to" wide receiver to bail him out. No monster running attack to take the load off.

The Jets were a 6 win team last year, coming into this season with about 30 million in cap space allocated to Revis, Sanchez, and Holmes. We then start a rookie QB, and are surprised when he play poorly? What did you all seriously expect? People screaming "Fire Rex!!" He has the team playing hard, when they do not have the talent needed to play with the big boys.

I say give Geno another 3 starts, if he is still playing this poorly, let Sims play a couple games. Not because I am giving up on Geno, but sometimes players get rushed, and they get benched until the game slows down for them. I wanted Sanchez to play the first half the season at least, to let Geno learn a bit, but obviously that didn't happen.

"Apart from Nawrocki’s critique of Smith’s mechanics, Nawrocki adds this assessment of Smith: “Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.”

Nawrocki then makes a strong prediction about Smith’s future. “Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room,” Nawrocki writes. “Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.”"

Starting to turn out pretty spot on,,,,,,,,,,,

"Apart from Nawrocki’s critique of Smith’s mechanics, Nawrocki adds this assessment of Smith: “Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.”

Nawrocki then makes a strong prediction about Smith’s future. “Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room,” Nawrocki writes. “Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.”"

Starting to turn out pretty spot on,,,,,,,,,,,
    OMG
    Steve Young failed as a rookie
    Tampa Bay looked like azzes letting him get away

Jets Insider VIP
    It is best to evaluate the teams progress in groups of 4 ; after Geno's first 4, he is 2 and 2. He gets a C IMO
    Next evaluation should be in a month from now.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't actually think the Idzik master plan included Geno until he fell to us in the 2nd. If he is a franchise talent then we find that out quickly and move on with him. If not we need to do the opposite fairly quickly as well. None of this holding up the franchise for four years while we find out for sure. I for one am not convinced that he is the one but right now he should be in for the rest of this year IMO so that we have enough data upon which to make a decision. He should be in all the games IMO except ones where he is utterly wetting the bed in which case I do not think it benefits him to keep on trotting him out there. Sit him for a series or two or even the rest of the game to reinforce the idea that everyone on the roster can play themselves out of a spot if their play on any given day is bad enough.

I was in favor of Simms yesterday in the 2nd half because I thought Geno's judgement was shot and I also thought the game was not completely out of hand. Either way we would have gone back to Geno next week. Oh well, opportunity missed on that one I suppose.