Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can we please just stick to the long term rebuild plan and back Geno?

Harrier, you are only wrong on one point in your opening post. After reading 3 pages I find that most posters are with you, as I am, while a few very loud and opinionated people are in opposition. Enough to give me faith in the majority of the fan base.

Is Geno the answer? I don't know and neither does anyone else. We'll just have to wait and see. I agree we don't wait for 4 years, but certainly more than 4 games.

I can't take anyone seriously who quotes Nawrocki. That's not scraping the bottom of the barrel, that's lifting the barrel and scraping beneath it.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Harrier, you are only wrong on one point in your opening post. After reading 3 pages I find that most posters are with you, as I am, while a few very loud and opinionated people are in opposition. Enough to give me faith in the majority of the fan base.

Is Geno the answer? I don't know and neither does anyone else. We'll just have to wait and see. I agree we don't wait for 4 years, but certainly more than 4 games.

I can't take anyone seriously who quotes Nawrocki. That's not scraping the bottom of the barrel, that's lifting the barrel and scraping beneath it.
    Winning buys time, hopefully it will come.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post

Funny how the ones that do not agree with you are opinionated.

Geno has made some big plays and some horrible mistakes.

The jury is out on him.

Rookie or not there is no way to know whether Geno Smith will be the face of this franchise four or five years from now.

He needs experience but also needs time to develop.

Benching him for a series, a quarter, or for a game does not equate to pulling the plug on the Geno Smith experiment at QB.

I think Geno would be a lot more careful if he knew that three strikes (turnovers) means riding the bench for the remainder of the game.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    I think people who think Idzik is married to Geno for the year are mistaken. He was part of an organization that traded for Flynn, then drafted a QB in the 3rd round, then had the balls to start him. I'm sure they traded for Flynn and assumed he would be the starter. Then Wilson opened their eyes in training camp and preseason and made the switch. I bet if Wilson struggled through his first 6-8 games they would have went to Flynn because he was a viable option. At this point in their careers, Simms is a viable option in my opinion if Geno continues to struggle.
    A viable option????? He hasn't started one NFL game. Ridiculous. Geno Smith via injury, luck, bad planning, or whatever you want to call it, has a full season to prove to the front office that he has what it takes to be a productive NFL QB. If he flops, we lose nothing by drafting another QB next year. Pulling him at any point this season would be a mistake, especially given the alternatives. This is a trial by fire, plain and simple.

While I don't see us in the BIG games this year and realize that team development is a "process" I have questioned from the start Geno's ability to be a star in this league. First the good point is that I have been pleasantly surprised at his ability to throw the ball but disappointed at his pocket awareness, slow release which I pointed out early on, carelessness with his handling of the ball and pocket movement and believe he should sit for a game and we should take a look at Phil's kid. We took Geno in the second round which was probably a reasonable spot for him but all can see his inflated stats were in some measure enhanced by his all world receiver. His release needs work as well. From ESPN analysis after the draft on Smith "but there are holes in his games -- shaky pocket presence, reading defenses, handling adversity" all of which have unfortunately been shown to be correct.

Richardson may turn out to be a steal and Bohanan a very pleasant surprise. Have not seen Winters so the jury is still out but he should be in there-Ducasse has had enough chances.

The biggest problem is that Rex is fighting for his job and seems fearful that if he shuts down the "I" man's toy it would be another nail in his jet coaching coffin. And the GM seems to have the ear and full endorsement of an owner who's sole claim to fame is the good fortune to have been born to the right parents (notice they didn't even want him around J&J (thank goodness for that-I have a few sharres of the stock)

As fans all we can do is hope that the team makes the right decision. I have faith in MM, i think he is a good judge of talent and he will be able to tell if Geno is the future of this team. with that being said, i dont think the jets will be in position to draft a franchise QB next season coming off an 8-8 or so season...so not sure what the alternatives are.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckkieB View Post
    A viable option????? He hasn't started one NFL game. Ridiculous. Geno Smith via injury, luck, bad planning, or whatever you want to call it, has a full season to prove to the front office that he has what it takes to be a productive NFL QB. If he flops, we lose nothing by drafting another QB next year. Pulling him at any point this season would be a mistake, especially given the alternatives. This is a trial by fire, plain and simple.
    Smith didn't have a start in the NFL until he was named the starter by default. What you did in college dictates where you wind up in the draft. Before the rookie wage deal you were married to 1st round and to a lesser degree 2d round draft picks. Simms played well in the preseason. They have already benched Milliner and Ducasse....it wouldn't shock me to see Geno get benched if he can't reduce his turnovers.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Smith didn't have a start in the NFL until he was named the starter by default. What you did in college dictates where you wind up in the draft. Before the rookie wage deal you were married to 1st round and to a lesser degree 2d round draft picks. Simms played well in the preseason. They have already benched Milliner and Ducasse....it wouldn't shock me to see Geno get benched if he can't reduce his turnovers.
    If Geno consistently sh1ts the bed game after game then of course he should be taken out, but for a quarter, a half, or even the duration of a game. However, to bench him in favor of Simms for even one game would be a mistake. The front office needs to see what Geno's got, and playing through adversity and dealing with crappy personel and stupid mistakes is all part of it. I don't think there's any chance that Simms will be given an extended look at any time this season.

If Geno consistently sh1ts the bed game after game then of course he should be taken out, but for a quarter, a half, or even the duration of a game. However, to bench him in favor of Simms for even one game would be a mistake. The front office needs to see what Geno's got, and playing through adversity and dealing with crappy personel and stupid mistakes is all part of it. I don't think there's any chance that Simms will be given an extended look at any time this season.
    If Geno turns the ball over 8-10 times in the next 3 games I wouldn't be surprised to see Simms. I'm not suggesting we bench Geno, I hope the kid steps up and performs. On the other hand the guy has to improve on his turnovers. And if he does get benched it wouldn't surprise me to see Simms get a shot to see what he can do. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I agree, I just don't feel that pressing reset everytime the chips are down is the right thing to do.

We are 2-2, and are showing positive signs of building out of Tanny's mess.

Successful teams with good front offices have a plan and don't deviate from it.

If we pull the plug on Geno we will regret it.
    The jets aren't pulling the plug on Geno as they don't have anyone better on the roster.( if they did he might be on the bench). Geno Smith will get this year to prove if he should be jet Qb in 2014, or if they need to find another Qb.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    The jets aren't pulling the plug on Geno as they don't have anyone better on the roster.( if they did he might be on the bench). Geno Smith will get this year to prove if he should be jet Qb in 2014, or if they need to find another Qb.
    This could possibly be the only thing you've ever said here that makes any sense.

(but ya kinda copied it... acknowledgement is an important step tho!)

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Look yesterday was hard to stomach and we are all frustrated, but this is just a massive overreaction to a bad loss and as usual the QB is the scapegoat.

We hired Idzik to do a job and that was to provide long term sustainable success and change the culture of short-sighted quick fix plans by the previous regime under Tanny.

We cried for change and we got it, Idzik's first port of call was to address the shambolic level of play we have all witnessed at the QB position the last few years and we came out with a potential star in Geno.

Now we are all entitled to our opinions and evaluations but can we just be a little more realistic when evaluating Geno? He has showed flashes of brilliance and was always going to turn the ball over in a pass heavy system that is not designed to protect him.

This year is about Geno taking his lumps and putting his experiences in the memory bank, we go into 2014 loaded in the draft and in a good cap situation to be aggressive in free agency.

Everything points towards building an offence around a more polished Geno in 2014 so can we please just give the guy some growing room and accept that days like yesterday was always going to happen when you fully buy into a rebuild with a rookie QB.

One more thing can we please drop the Simms as a viable option charade, this guy will take the same lumps Geno will until we again call for change once he hits his 1st spell of adversity.

We run the risk of ruining Geno if we continue to give him a short leash, he needs to play free and loose and without fear of making mistakes or he will go into a shell and not play to his strengths.

We have something here fellas, now come on and get behind the kid, he needs our support now more then ever.
    Well written and said. Unfortunately, Geno may suffer the same fate as Sanchez, because as was the case with Mark, they drafted him as the future and gave him limited to no weapons to aid in his development. In addition, they brought in an OC that is either oblivious to the damage he could do to Geno's development by asking him to constantly throw the ball around or has an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by RamseysWreckers71 View Post
    Well written and said. Unfortunately, Geno may suffer the same fate as Sanchez, because as was the case with Mark, they drafted him as the future and gave him limited to no weapons to aid in his development. In addition, they brought in an OC that is either oblivious to the damage he could do to Geno's development by asking him to constantly throw the ball around or has an agenda.
    This is why I just hope we give him a bit of growing room before we jump on his back.

I know he has to earn the opportunity to be built around but if he does we are in a position to accumulate a talented offence around him this off-season, this is what I thought was an integral part of the rebuild process.

Unless Geno absolutely bombs I can't see Idzik going back to square one and drafting a QB next year, not to mention the potential mortgage of trading up to go get the guy.

See how it pans out I guess.

Sounds to me like somebody is afraid Simms might take the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My take on it is next years class doesnt offer any cant miss guys much better then Geno if at all. Sign a viable BU maybe draft a late rounder like Carr. Give Geno anther year then look for guys like Hundley, Mariota, Driskel, Gardner, Kevin Hogan, Travis Wilson, Winston, Hackenberg, Kiel, Browne, Webb, Goff in 2015-2017 if he fails. I find it hard to believe all the RSO declare this year if any. The QBs only get better after next year so no point in jumping on anther questionable class. Unless your super high on Boyd it is a passable class. If Geno fails I'd want a guy like Winston or Hackenberg next anyway. That 2017 class is all 6'4 200+ guys with cannons for arms.

T"Apart from Nawrocki’s critique of Smith’s mechanics, Nawrocki adds this assessment of Smith: “Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.”

This is total garbage. What a ridiculously off base article. One thing is certain, Geno Smith loves the game and is a major student of the game. Last year, after a huge win, the team went out to celebrate on a Saturday night. Where did Geno go? Back to the field house to watch tape of his next opponent. If you are using that article to assess Geno you really have no idea about the player at all. Here's an idea: why don't you decide for yourself if the kid has talent and not give importance to the agenda driven writers?
    Last edited by Greensleeves; 10-03-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Nope. He is not the one. Backup after this season at best.