Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Why Seven Rounds Is Not Enough

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    He did.

He did.

Unreasonable. A group of angry motorcyclists were pounding on his SUV, slashing his tires, and threatening his family. He was greatly outnumbered and dealing with an clearly hostile mob.
    +1....and the word "accident" is used pretty casually in this discussion while it clearly doesnt describe what I saw.

And its not like the old clche' where the guy bumps the bikes parked in front of the bar and they all come running out.

From the victims perspective we have a biker pull up alongside his vehicle and glance in (coward was looking to see what he was dealing with and thought he had a couple of soft Asian stooges) then carefully pulls in front of his truck and slows down suddenly to a near stop, while other bikers pull up and around vehicle as well...then boom. THe victim doesnt know the reasoning behind the biker pulling in front of him (apparently, a badly executed attempt to create a road block so they could film a mass stunt up the highway, hence the cameras)

I wouldnt interpret this as an "accident"...and apparently niether did the victim...I would interpret this as some sort of "set up" and the bikers swarming, pounding, punching his vehicle after he STOPPED and CALLED 911.

No other motorists around, no police, things escalating, wife..toddler in the car...tires now being slashed...

ANyone who says they would have remained idle in the vehicle until the mob actually got inside...is disingenuous/delusional or lying.

Period.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    He did.

He did.

Unreasonable. A group of angry motorcyclists were pounding on his SUV, slashing his tires, and threatening his family. He was greatly outnumbered and dealing with an clearly hostile mob.
    Moreover.... the police, even if they take 3 to 5 minutes to respond, that3 to 5 minutes could be life or death.

Our understanding is that the police received upwards of 100 calls from many motorists on the west side highway.

Not sure why/how or even if policy is involved or whether the police were in route etc... but in the motorists mind, he and his family were in danger and waiting for the 911 call to be dispatched and then wait for a cop was not reasonable.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Perhaps he should have stopped after he bumped the cycle, kept his windows up while calling 911, and then rolled the window down to apologize to the biker and inform them that the police were on their way?

You know, like any other vehicular accident?

Once again we have a case where fear of some action that had not actually occured yet is used to justify attempted vehicular homicide and felony hit & run.

Because, IMO, no one likes Crotch-Rocket Bike Groups, even OTHER Bike Groups. Prejudged as to what they'd do, hence it's ok to run them all down in the street (as many here seem to say they'd have done, trying for maximum killing).

Sorry if I opt out of the majority here. I maintain the Bikers are getting their just deserts for their assault, but that the SUV driver should also be facing charges today.

With that said, a true entertainment last night was hearing a Progressive Talk Show Host defend the SUV driver using the exact same language they denounced as bullship when it was used to defend George Zimmerman. True lols.
    Me thinks you're creating a straw man here. No one is looking for maximum killing as some type of proportional punishment for being a biker. But when a mass of thugs start converging on your car and appear to be putting you in serious and imminent danger, its not unreasonable to be fleeing the scene.

I'm not suggesting that the guy who got hit deserved what he got (others are - you can address that with them), but it seems pretty clear that the RR driver did what he did based on an actual fear for his and his families' safety. Its sad that someone got hurt, but that doesn't make the situation, as it stands now, felony hit and run.

And you can change the facts and create a group of school children directly in the way, but that's not what happened here. He ran someone over who was ostensibly part of the very mob that was threatening him and his family.

I don't know what that guy was specifically doing when he got run over so I'll refrain from calling him a criminal - he could have been just idly observing the situation - hardly heroic but not as disdain-worthy as some of the other behavior involved. But, the very nature of this event was to take over the highway from other traffic so its pretty much impossible for there to be an innocent bystander.
    Last edited by crasherino; 10-11-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I don't buy the scenario where you hit the gas pedal and go 100 mph and mow everyone down. If I saw guns then YES. No guns, then I maneuver around and maybe sideswipe someone to get around them .

I also heard that Mr. Lien entered the biker group from an entry ramp at a high rate of speed. That's what initially pissed the group off. Why would an off duty detective chase the SUV and be so pissed at him that he participates in the SUV smashing windows etc. endangering his job/pension etc.?
    Except he didn't go 100 mph and mow "everyone" down. In close quarters, hemmed in, hows he going to maneuver around? Maybe the bikers should have pulled over on the shoulder... oh wait, they didn't, and why?

He may have not yielded at the entry ramp, true. Drive much lately? 9 times out of 10 yahoos around here don't know how to yield coming on to a highway. I don't stop them, pound on their car, slash their tires, etc. because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Perhaps he should have stopped after he bumped the cycle, kept his windows up while calling 911, and then rolled the window down to apologize to the biker and inform them that the police were on their way?

You know, like any other vehicular accident?

Once again we have a case where fear of some action that had not actually occured yet is used to justify attempted vehicular homicide and felony hit & run.

Because, IMO, no one likes Crotch-Rocket Bike Groups, even OTHER Bike Groups. Prejudged as to what they'd do, hence it's ok to run them all down in the street (as many here seem to say they'd have done, trying for maximum killing).

Sorry if I opt out of the majority here. I maintain the Bikers are getting their just deserts for their assault, but that the SUV driver should also be facing charges today.

With that said, a true entertainment last night was hearing a Progressive Talk Show Host defend the SUV driver using the exact same language they denounced as bullship when it was used to defend George Zimmerman. True lols.
    He did stop. And he did call 911. Within minutes there are multiple people hitting your car and from reports, trying to slash your tires. You're going to roll the window down and talk?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    No one is looking for maximum killing as some type of proportional punishment for being a biker.
    actually, I was. That situation? All bets are off for civility, and survival instincts take over.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    actually, I was. That situation? All bets are off for civility, and survival instincts take over.
    Survival is one thing. You're looking to get your family the fuk out of that situation. You aren't looking to spin back around and take out as many of them as possible. The guy peeled out and fled the mob. In the process, he took a guy out. Unfortunate and regretable (IMO), but it doesn't make his actions unjustified.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Survival is one thing. You're looking to get your family the fuk out of that situation. You aren't looking to spin back around and take out as many of them as possible. The guy peeled out and fled the mob. In the process, he took a guy out. Unfortunate and regretable (IMO), but it doesn't make his actions unjustified.
    Its all about intent and context in this case, hence.....no victim arrest.

This whole outrageous assertion that anyone supporting this view has a prejudice against "bikers" is laughable.

This wasnt a cute ride in the country that took a bad turn; This was illegally launched from the outset, and rife with dangerous and reckless behavior that culminated in this beating. You cant tell me that one participant, including the dooshbag off-duty cops, wasnt there for the thrill of breaking... then evading the law... through the anonymity of sheer numbers and the knowledge that due to civil concerns, the NYPD is reluctant to pursue bikes.

I just love the irony that in their determination to document their foolishness for broadcast on the internets...they sealed their own fates by creating a virtual hi-lite reel for the D.A.

-
    Last edited by 32green; 10-11-2013 at 05:16 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Its all about intent and context in this case, hence.....no victim arrest.
    +1

A person who runs into a burning building to save another person doesn't get charged with trespassing.