Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggs: Goodell Behind Superbowl Blackout

All League

Suggs: Goodell Behind Superbowl Blackout

Suggs: Goodell Behind Blackout

Ravens LB Terrell Suggs accused NFL commissioner Roger Goodell of having a role in the Super Bowl blackout.
    Tags: Terrell Suggs, Baltimore Ravens, Super Bowl, Blackout, E:60, Lisa Salters, Superdome, Super Bowl XLVII
    Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs accuses NFL commissioner Roger Goodell of having a role in the Super Bowl blackout during an interview on ESPN's "E:60" that will air Tuesday.

The Ravens led the 49ers 28-6 before the lights went out for 34 minutes at the Superdome in the Super Bowl. San Francisco rallied after the blackout, forcing Baltimore to hold on for a tight win.
    "I was like Vegas, parlor tricks, you know what I mean?" Suggs said. "I was like, ahh, Roger Goodell, he never stops, he always has something up his sleeve. He just couldn't let us have this one in a landslide, huh?"

The lights went out early in the third quarter of February's Super Bowl between the Ravens and San Francisco 49ers, shortly after Jacoby Jones' 108-yard kickoff return gave Baltimore a 28-6 lead. The unprecedented Super Bowl moment delayed the game for 34 minutes. San Francisco then scored 17 unanswered points once the game resumed, and the Ravens needed a late fourth-quarter stand in the red zone to prevail.

ESPN NFL commentator and former Raven Ray Lewis brought up a conspiracy theory on the "America's Game" documentary series that the power outage may have been a ploy to help the 49ers regroup, but Suggs pointed the finger directly at Goodell.

"I thought he had a hand in it," Suggs said. "Most definitely, he had a hand in it."

Suggs said he believes Goodell favors some teams over others.

"We walk out of the Denver game, and linebackers are warming up on their sideline, and who do we see talking with John Elway, and it's like hmmm. I thought, your commissioner is supposed to be neutral," Suggs said. "He ain't supposed to be on one side or the other; he's supposed to be in the box. I saw him on their sideline and I was like, huh, I know who he's going for. I think he definitely has his favorites."

Suggs added, "He'll deny it, but, like I said, when I run out of the tunnel and the first thing I see is John Elway laughing it up, I'm definitely going to feel some way about that. You're the commissioner of this league and you're supposed to make sure everything is being played on an even playing field. I definitely don't think he's doing a good job, and I don't think he should be making $10 million a year. That's just my personal opinion."

Goodell actually made $29.49 million in 2012, according to the league's tax return

Hall Of Fame
    Good to see at least SOMEONE calling out this scumbag.

Hopefully he never backs off and more join him.

All League
    Suggs is 100% correct

All Pro
    Gotta love Suggs... and to hell with Godell...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

People actually believe this idiotic accusation by Suggs and the equally stupid Lewis?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    People actually believe this idiotic accusation by Suggs and the equally stupid Lewis?
    No... We believe every single word Goodell says is true. Same with Genius Bill! Goodell destroyed the evidence because they were just blank tapes. There was no evidence.

All League
    Superbowl blackout maybe not. Godell playing favorites and being a crap commissioner? Absolutely.

All Pro
    LMAO.......

The funny part is that Suggs probably isn't that far off base here....not that I believe Goddell himself pulled the plug....but I do find something fishy with the whole situation....

If I remember correctly the blackout occured shortly after the 49ers had a long play. The Ravens got the ball back, and punted. I'm not clear how a blackout would help the 49ers... and the 49ers punted shortly after the blackout and then the Ravens punted shortly after that. Why would the blackout only affect the Ravens. They had a kickoff return for a TD, but I'm not sure why 30 minute stoppage helped the 49ers at all.

Hall Of Fame
    49ers themselves specifically said that the blackout helped their team at that time.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    If I remember correctly the blackout occured shortly after the 49ers had a long play. The Ravens got the ball back, and punted. I'm not clear how a blackout would help the 49ers... and the 49ers punted shortly after the blackout and then the Ravens punted shortly after that. Why would the blackout only affect the Ravens. They had a kickoff return for a TD, but I'm not sure why 30 minute stoppage helped the 49ers at all.
    Jacoby Jones had just ran the opening kickoff of the 2nd half for a backbreaking TD......Ravens were getting ready to wrap things up pretty handily at that point....I have my opinion on the blackout but I'll leave that out of this post....just wanted to set up the scenario prepower outage

Even if it was a ploy, the Ravens defense could have stepped up and stopped them.

The NFL became a bit of a punchline for that blackout, Goodell wouldn't risk that.

Plus what was Goodell afraid of? Nobody schedules against the Super Bowl anyway, so its very likely that there would be nothing to watch anyway. The Super Bowl is more of a national event now then just a football game, as opposed to earlier years.
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 10-01-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    Superbowl blackout maybe not. Godell playing favorites and being a crap commissioner? Absolutely.
    Because playing favorites helps Goodell how?

It's good for Goodell, the NFL, his bosses, revenue how?

The motive is?

You know things have to make sense, otherwise they're pointless accusations by idiots.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    49ers themselves specifically said that the blackout helped their team at that time.
    ARod getting hurt and going away helps the Yankees.

If he gets injured and can't play doesn't mean the Yankees ordered a hit.

Hall Of Fame

The motive is?

You know things have to make sense, otherwise they're pointless accusations by idiots.
    You get VERY defensive when people question the Pasts* or Goodell... Interesting. (not really that interesting actually)

It's like Goodell showing favor to Bob Kraft and New England.

If he does, why haven't they won a Super Bowl in 9 years?

The motive is?

Owners with the most power approve his $29 million a year salary.

He favors key owners, in turn they pay him a lot of money, and the owners get championships.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    It's like Goodell showing favor to Bob Kraft and New England.

If he does, why haven't they won a Super Bowl in 9 years?
    He gets them to the postseason. From there it cant be as obvious as the regular season games are, NE fan.
    I don't expect you to understand this concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    He gets them to the postseason. From there it cant be as obvious as the regular season games are, NE fan.
    I don't expect you to understand this concept.
    They don't need help getting the postseason. They play in a crappy division.