Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggs: Goodell Behind Superbowl Blackout

Sorry for the misspellings i tried to edit the post but couldnt save the changes.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    The fact that every team board out there thinks that Goodell is out to get them and favors their rivals probably means that the guy isn't biased at all.
    Umm... That's VERY far from fact.

Pasts* fans never cease to amaze me!

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I think it's silly to think Goodell pulled the switch on the blackout. Having said that, his handling of the NE tapes was highly suspect. Beyond highly suspect. I have no doubt those tapes had some seriously incriminating video that would have become one of the biggest scandals in sports history, and he destroyed them to cover it up and protect the game.
    this is all you need to know about how good of a commish he is. If that is not showing favoritism what is? Never mind a league where they make billions but do not have full time refs?
    It is funny since the they were caught they have not won a sb since? That does not show they needed the tapes to win big games?
    Dude is crooked as the day is long

Veteran
    Suggs' accusation is a reach. However, I am not so quick to dismiss it. The logical reason is that the "show" known as the SB required more power than the building had. Another conspiracy reason is that the blackout allowed more companies to get in their 30 seconds of prime advertising.
    As another pointed out; Goodell burned the tapes. Unlikely Goodell had anything to do with the blackout, but not that outrageous an idea.

anyone who thinks that Patriot games are not officiated completely one sided in their favor based on Goodell's and Kraft's relationship, is nuts

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    Suggs' accusation is a reach. However, I am not so quick to dismiss it. The logical reason is that the "show" known as the SB required more power than the building had. Another conspiracy reason is that the blackout allowed more companies to get in their 30 seconds of prime advertising.
    As another pointed out; Goodell burned the tapes. Unlikely Goodell had anything to do with the blackout, but not that outrageous an idea.
    Only problem is that blackout time is not prime time.

And again, no one has come up with how it helps the league, a team whatever for there to be a blackout.

Other than to say someone wouldnt put it past him

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Love this. Even if it's not true, I appreciate Suggs raising the issue that the top NFL execs have players and teams they see as marketable. Colin K. vs. Flacco: Who is more likely to get on the cover of a magazine?
    Why didn't the NFL start rigging games for this marketable guy to start winning Super Bowls?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Why didn't the NFL start rigging games for this marketable guy to start winning Super Bowls?

So you find him extremely attractive... Great. Nobody cares WTF you think.
    You're shltty at being a Pasts* troll, which is the WORST kind of Pasts* fan.

All League
    how would cutting the power possibly help the 49ers? its not like it was a ravens home game and took the wind out of the sails of the crowd.

plus at that point of the game, when one team is dominating and the game gets delayed, i'm sure the ratings took a hit and some people didn't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by rammagen View Post
    this is all you need to know about how good of a commish he is. If that is not showing favoritism what is? Never mind a league where they make billions but do not have full time refs?
    It is funny since the they were caught they have not won a sb since? That does not show they needed the tapes to win big games?
    Dude is crooked as the day is long
    Thing is I don't necessarily think his actions were playing favorites to the Pats, I think he was trying to protect the entire NFL brand. Look at what's happening with baseball. Goodell wanted nothing to do with that type of scandal. I have no doubt if those tapes were made public there would be quite the outrage. There was talk they videotaped the Rams walkthrough, and frankly I believe it. Imagine the outrage if that became public knowledge. You're talking a demand to strip titles and alter history for that period of the game. That's one giant shaming scandal that frankly the NFL wants no part of. It's one thing for the NFL to come out and punish guys like Payton and Williams for Bounties. That puts the NFL in a good light that they are trying to protect their players in an era where player safety is becoming paramount. Punishing the offense puts the NFL in a better light. Punishing the Spygate offense only serves to expose that there was major cheating in the game that ultimately may have resulted in false SB wins and flase records in history. While the NFL would have been praised for exposing and punishing the offense, the shame of the fact that it happened and the doubt it would cast on the sanctity of the game was greater. Hence they destroy the tapes immediately, claim there was nothing on them to warrant keeping them, and leave no trace of any possibility of it coming back to light short of hearsay commentary by people they can then try and discredit as suspect sources.

Veteran
    This was part of an E:60 segment and Suggs mentioned the favoritism of the NFL towards to Pats as well. Damning accusations for sure but what he said made me think a bit more about the Commish's relationship with certain teams.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Terrell Suggs once held his wife and baby down on the floor and poured bleach on them.

Buy yeah, Goodell is a bad dude.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    A blowout Super Bowl is a nightmare for the league. I think it's a BILLION people watching - the league wants all those people that watch one game a year to get hooked on the excitement and become fans that start watching every game. I'm not usually a conspiracy theory guy but I do think the blackout was orchestrated
    This

OR

I think it was Eddie D. Debartalo was the former owner of the 5 and 0 Fortyniners. His old school, Youngstown connected union bosses are the only who can get the plug pulled in a venue such as the superdome. Eddie D ordered the hit. It almost worked.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Terrell Suggs once held his wife and baby down on the floor and poured bleach on them.

Buy yeah, Goodell is a bad dude.
    It worked for Michael Jackson..

Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    This was part of an E:60 segment and Suggs mentioned the favoritism of the NFL towards to Pats as well. Damning accusations for sure but what he said made me think a bit more about the Commish's relationship with certain teams.

“I am convinced Roger is the right person to lead the NFL into the next decade,” Kraft said.

Kraft called Goodell a “dear friend” and someone who leads by example.

“Robert Kraft has given this area and this region a lot to cheer for,” Goodell said.

Goodell called Kraft a “friend and mentor.” Goodell said that as commissioner, sometimes he is a “royal pain in the you know what,” but his job is to resolve conflicts. "

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

http://blogs.eagletribune.com/staff/...-robert-kraft/

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    “I am convinced Roger is the right person to lead the NFL into the next decade,” Kraft said.

Kraft called Goodell a “dear friend” and someone who leads by example.

“Robert Kraft has given this area and this region a lot to cheer for,” Goodell said.

Goodell called Kraft a “friend and mentor.” Goodell said that as commissioner, sometimes he is a “royal pain in the you know what,” but his job is to resolve conflicts. "

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

http://blogs.eagletribune.com/staff/...-robert-kraft/
    Damnit, you figured us out. As the first fan to reveal these problems, I am required to turn the key and open the Patriots Vault of Cheating. There it is in all its glory. Bask in it, study it.

Hall Of Fame
    Amazing that some people are even entertaining this. He is basically saying that Goodell put people's lives in danger to make the game more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Amazing that some people are even entertaining this. He is basically saying that Goodell put people's lives in danger to make the game more interesting.
    It's goofy conspiracy theory stuff but it feeds into a couple of ongoing themes about Goodell's popularity and how he cheats in favor of [insert a given board's arch rival here] so people want him to be corrupt so he'll be replaced.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    It's goofy conspiracy theory stuff but it feeds into a couple of ongoing themes about Goodell's popularity and how he cheats in favor of [insert a given board's arch rival here] so people want him to be corrupt so he'll be replaced.
    The NFL revenue`s are worth abouth 25 Billion dolllars these days, I don`t believe they threw the switch but lord knows they have enough cash for someone to look the other way when it tripped.

All Pro
    The blackout during the Superbowl was a huge embarrassment for the NFL in front of billions of viewers around the world and directly affected billions of dollars worth of advertisements from sponsors. It is absurd to think that the commissioner of the league played a part in such a self-deprecating act all in the name of some alleged favoritism and theoretical advantage.