Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Browns might be willing to trade Josh Gordon for 2nd?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Browns might be willing to trade Josh Gordon for 2nd?

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
    Browns aren't shopping their stars. But they have talked to teams about Josh Gordon, including #49ers. They'd like a 2nd rounder in return.

I'd give them a 2nd in a heartbeat. He's a true #1 WR... a 1st round talent with 2nd round b.s.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too expensive given the baggage. Love his ability though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sevomd View Post
    I'd give them a 2nd in a heartbeat.
    Without even blinking.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 10-07-2013 at 06:33 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a heart beat

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the Browns should be thinking about trading anybody right now. They are in a tight divisional race.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is one fun night in NYC away from sitting a year. Very talented player but we would have to baby sit him like Jones did with Dez.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would do a 3, but two is pushing it, especially if we don't win much and it ends up being a high 2. But if they take say the conditional pick from the Revis deal, I'd do it, pretty easily.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    lets draft the next Gordon without the drug problems

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Their stars?? Didn't know Cleveland had any

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He is one fun night in NYC away from sitting a year. Very talented player but we would have to baby sit him like Jones did with Dez.
    Conditions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2d round WRs have way less than a 50-50 shot of becoming significant. If we could get him for a 2d, you gotta do it, assuming you can trust that the drug issues are behind him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    2d round WRs have way less than a 50-50 shot of becoming significant. If we could get him for a 2d, you gotta do it, assuming you can trust that the drug issues are behind him.
    Im way out of the loop......just out of curiosity, what kind of drugs are we talking about?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
    Browns aren't shopping their stars. But they have talked to teams about Josh Gordon, including #49ers. They'd like a 2nd rounder in return.

I'd give them a 2nd in a heartbeat. He's a true #1 WR... a 1st round talent with 2nd round b.s.
    Every GM has to make at least 1 gamble right

I would do it.....kid is talented

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Im way out of the loop......just out of curiosity, what kind of drugs are we talking about?
    stretches back to college. The 2-game suspension was codeine. Next violation will be for a full year suspension (like Holmes). Read this to get the full background:

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns receiver Josh Gordon confirmed Monday that he's facing banishment from the NFL for at least a year if he violates the substance abuse policy again.

"I think that's what it is,'' he said. "I believe so.''

Cleveland.com reported in June that Gordon, who was suspended two games for a positive codeine test that he said was in his cough syrup prescription, faced a year's suspension with another failed test. In that case, he'd have to apply for reinstatement from Commissioner Roger Goodell.

But why will it be different for a player who failed three marijuana tests in college and who already has two strikes against him in the NFL, including the failed codeine test?

"For the simple fact that there’s no chances,'' Gordon said. "There's not too many chances really left out there, no room for mistakes for me. It’s either get it right or that’s it."

It echoed CEO Joe Banner's words in June, when he noted, "Gordon knows that the rope that's left isn't long."

Gordon, acquired in 2012's supplemental draft, knows that not only is his future with the Browns at stake, but with the entire NFL.

“I feel like it’s a last chance opportunity for the league,'' he said. "Nobody just wants a problematic type of person in their program or their organization because of how they’re perceived to be. So I definitely want to stay away from controversy as long as I can, forever. That’s definitely my No. 1 priority."

But Gordon doesn't feel the Browns should have to follow his every move.

"Nobody should be a caretaker for me at this point in my life,'' he said. "I should be seen as a grown man and have the responsibility for the actions I'm taking and I have to look at it that way. I can't expect to have to somebody there for me, to be in my ear to do this and do that. You've just got to know right from wrong.''

But that sentiment -- and his looming suspension -- weren't enough to keep Gordon from revving his camouflage-painted sports car up to 98 mph in a 60 zone one night midway through training camp. He was ticketed and paid a $150 fine last week.

"It's something I have to deal with, and it's a mistake I made that I definitely shouldn't do ever again,'' Gordon said. "It's a little hard to gauge the speed. It might jump from 70 to 80 to 90 sometimes in the faster cars. I drive a pretty fast car.''

He said both the suspension and the speeding violation, for which he's been reprimanded by the team, have changed his mindset.

"It definitely has,'' he said. "Just being taken away from (the game), it's a humbling experience for me. You find an appreciation for the game. The absence of it makes the heart grow fonder in a sense. That's really what it's about for me right now.''

He said he hopes he can regain the trust of his teammates, who have gone 0-2 and scored 16 points in his absence. The Browns' passing game has been hamstrung without its premier deep threat, who averaged 46 yards on his five touchdown catches last season.

"I hope that the trust is still there from before,'' he said. "But it's something I'm definitely going to have to earn back I believe through making plays and showing how hard I can go out there during practice and the game, not just myself but everybody. We need to trust together and it's a big commitment thing for me and they have to see that in me."

He's grateful to have the suspension off the books so he can focus on football.

"It's a big deal,'' he said. "I know it was a looming-type cloud just behind me of negativity, so I'm glad to be back on the field and hopefully more people can focus on that."

He added that he hasn't talked to Browns' special advisor Jim Brown about his situation. Instead, Gordon's confided mostly in his brothers and his mom about his ordeal.

"It hurts them just as much as it hurts me,'' he said. "They want to see the best come out of me and they know what I'm capable of doing and possibly becoming. But when I upset them and let them down, it impacts me a lot harder than somebody else talking to me about it."

Unlike Joe Haden, who had to spend his four-game Adderall suspension away from the Browns' facility because it fell under the steroid and related substances policy, Gordon was permitted to work out in Berea and attend team meetings.
    "It was definitely the best thing for me,'' he said. "It was a good thing to be able to stay in the same rhythm and the routine that everybody else goes through and that you normally have. To not fall off too far or step back from where you’ve been. It was a great benefit for me.''

On two occasions during his ban, he visited children from the Boys and Girls Club of Cleveland.

"I spent some time with the less fortunate inner city kids, 55th and Broadway I believe,'' he said. "Being around them helps you humble yourself, come down to earth a little bit to see how much of a blessing it is to do what you do for a living.''

Gordon knows the team is counting on him to inject new life into the sluggish offense -- one that might be without Weeden (sprained thumb) this week -- and he's happy to oblige.

"I'd definitely try to do my best to change the outcome of the game in any way I could, to be a playmaker,'' he said. "The ‘What if?’ game is a hard game to play with that. I can't just say it's myself (that we're 0-2) or anything like that. I definitely want to go out there and help in any way I can and go 100 percent. It's a long season and I definitely think the rhythm will get there and it will get clicking with or without me being the reason why. I just want to be an extra piece of the puzzle to help us put it all together.''

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    If the Jets knew how to do that, Clyde Gates and David Nelson wouldn't be significant contributors.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Their stars?? Didn't know Cleveland had any
    They have more "stars" on offense than the Jets do. I'd take Gordon and Cameron on the Jets any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Also to all the people saying that we can draft another Gordon... he's a proven NFL player whereas drafting one is a definite crapshoot, especially with a 2nd round draft pick.

And who cares if they have to babysit him. I'd take Dez here in a heartbeat as well... just like I would have taken Randy Moss and Chris Carter in their primes replete with all their baggage.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have more "stars" on offense than the Jets do. I'd take Gordon and Cameron on the Jets any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Also to all the people saying that we can draft another Gordon... he's a proven NFL player whereas drafting one is a definite crapshoot, especially with a 2nd round draft pick.

And who cares if they have to babysit him. I'd take Dez here in a heartbeat as well... just like I would have taken Randy Moss and Chris Carter in their primes replete with all their baggage.
    will we be SB winners or contenders with Gordon? Then why trade valuable picks for troubled players?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    stretches back to college. The 2-game suspension was codeine. Next violation will be for a full year suspension (like Holmes). Read this to get the full background:
    Thanks for that.
    Just read a story about the cough syrup addictions, and how it ruined a rapper named Gucci Mane's career. Scary and dare i say stupid stuff.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    STB! Medium money. Conditional contract.