Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Revis falls off cliff as top cornerback

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Sure he did but he wanted 16 million.. That's why he was traded.
    I guess Sanchez will be going there also. LOL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    my point was that he didn't CHOOSE to be in a zone system. That's where he wound up for the money. It will be most interesting to see if Tampa is willing to spend the same money next year or will let him go and have him for only one year for a 1st and 4th. Either way, Tampa is somewhat burned by this trade..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    my point was that he didn't CHOOSE to be in a zone system. That's where he wound up for the money. It will be most interesting to see if Tampa is willing to spend the same money next year or will let him go and have him for only one year for a 1st and 4th. Either way, Tampa is somewhat burned by this trade..
    Revis said the game plan was for him to line up against Fitzgerald.. If Tampa has a clue you play a guy like Revis at what he does best shut down the top W/R on the other team.. Maybe they are coming around to that I'm sure Revis has been telling them that. Tampa may have a new GM and HC next year and most likely the Mercenary we know as Mevis the Mighty will be moving on down the road..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Let it go already, you're like a guy stalking his ex GF. Besides when did Peter King become an expert at evaluating players.
    thank you

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have always thought Revis was a great player what I take issue with is the feeling he's a god that can't be beat or if he is it's not his fault.. I could stand it when he was a Jet but not when he plays for another team.. I don't need rewind I'll go by what Revis said..
    I don't think he's a god or anything, but he was arguably the best CB the NFL has seen when he was here. When you consider the wide open offenses and all the penalties on defenders, the argument could be made that he was the best. But he's not the Revis of old when he was with us, right now. I think he's rusty, but he's also still one of the better CBs in the game right now. Peter King has Talib as one of the best, when Talib got beat by Stephen Hill in the Pats game (fumbled on a weird play, but it wasn't like Talib was trying to kick it out, just inadvertently happened). Revis isn't the Revis of old, but to say 3 of the 4 guys that were named ahead of him by Peter King here seems a bit premature because Revis is still good. Revis was a me-first player, and in the end it was probably better to move on from him, but he's still a very good player.

On the zone coverage:

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/10/2/...t-appear-to-be

It says they were in zone about half the time, so they are still playing zone out there, and Revis wasn't just sitting one on one with Fitz.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Still the best CB in the game, just playing in the wrong system for a chaotic mess of a team.
    Yep. Whereas here he was playing in the RIGHT system for a chaotic mess of a team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis said the game plan was for him to line up against Fitzgerald.. If Tampa has a clue you play a guy like Revis at what he does best shut down the top W/R on the other team.. Maybe they are coming around to that I'm sure Revis has been telling them that. Tampa may have a new GM and HC next year and most likely the Mercenary we know as Mevis the Mighty will be moving on down the road..
    that's the difference between a hack like schiano who will only do things his way, and a guy like rex who will take revis and adjust his scheme to utilize him correctly.

it's kind of amazing that tampa would trade 2 picks for revis, pay him what, 15/16 million, and then not know how to use him correctly, when all they needed to do was ask revis how he should be used.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    I don't think he's a god or anything, but he was arguably the best CB the NFL has seen when he was here. When you consider the wide open offenses and all the penalties on defenders, the argument could be made that he was the best. But he's not the Revis of old when he was with us, right now. I think he's rusty, but he's also still one of the better CBs in the game right now. Peter King has Talib as one of the best, when Talib got beat by Stephen Hill in the Pats game (fumbled on a weird play, but it wasn't like Talib was trying to kick it out, just inadvertently happened). Revis isn't the Revis of old, but to say 3 of the 4 guys that were named ahead of him by Peter King here seems a bit premature because Revis is still good. Revis was a me-first player, and in the end it was probably better to move on from him, but he's still a very good player.

On the zone coverage:

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/10/2/...t-appear-to-be

It says they were in zone about half the time, so they are still playing zone out there, and Revis wasn't just sitting one on one with Fitz.
    From the article One thing did change, at least: Darrelle Revis followed Larry Fitzgerald across the field on most man coverage ... Yes they played some zone but the Revis fanatic's just don't want to see their Hero ever beat and still defend him even though he's not a jet.. As I said he's a great CB with a HOF talent but he's not a Jet and I could care less what he does playing for another team.. Oh and Peter King is a jerk..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the article One thing did change, at least: Darrelle Revis followed Larry Fitzgerald across the field on most man coverage ... Yes they played some zone but the Revis fanatic's just don't want to see their Hero ever beat and still defend him even though he's not a jet.. As I said he's a great CB with a HOF talent but he's not a Jet and I could care less what he does playing for another team.. Oh and Peter King is a jerk..
    Yes, but it also says only on some zone plays, so considering that he was in zone in close to 50% of the plays, he may have followed him on 65% of the plays. I'm not really arguing that he got beat, he certainly got beat and isn't the same Revis, as of now, but I'm arguing that he's still better than what Peter King made him out to be, which was leave him out of the top 4, and replace it with three questionable guys. If he had just said, Richard Sherman is better, I would've had no problem whatsoever, but saying Talib or Verner is better was too much. I understand your line of thinking, nothing wrong with it. I'm mostly defending him here because I think King is way off base.

I think Schiano is an idiot. I'm not even sure why this guy was hired. He recruited some really good talent, which helped him beat up on some weak opponents and then surprise in their big matchups, but after that, his team was heading straight downwards. Team was essentially over-rated and he was hired to be an NFL coach.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see Tampa letting Revis go after this off-season and just blowing it up in an all-out rebuild. Fire Schiano, bye bye to Revis and his asinine contract demands, they already cut Freeman.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see Tampa letting Revis go after this off-season and just blowing it up in an all-out rebuild. Fire Schiano, bye bye to Revis and his asinine contract demands, they already cut Freeman.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the GM stays no way Revis gets cut at the end of the year. It would be funny if Rob Ryan gets that job though after Schiano gets whacked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    If the GM stays no way Revis gets cut at the end of the year.
    If the Bucs go 2-14 or 1-15 there's no way that GM keeps his job. This was supposed to be a playoff team this year.

And the Tampa fanbase has zero patience. As unpassionate as that market is about the Rays they are passionate about the Bucs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    and to think the jets got sheldon and another guy next year for him. i wonder why nobody has the guts to write that the jets may actually have done the right thing here.
    LOL. Great spin you got going. Can you even convince yourself we got Sheldon for him? We got Millner for him. Like we would have drafted Millner if Revis was here? We would have had Sheldon either way. To claim otherwise is ridiculous.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they cut Revis, we wouldn't get a 3rd rd pick, correct?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    If they cut Revis, we wouldn't get a 3rd rd pick, correct?
    He needs to last 3 days into the new "league year"

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    King is usually wrong but he's right about Sherman being the best CB in the league. Even with Revis being healthy this year I think Sherman would have surpassed him. He has that Prime Time effect where he could shut you down and not just break up a pass but makes the huge INT. Sherman was a legit shut down guy last year holding some stars down but he also had 8 picks. If you throw at him he has potential to not just break up the pass but make a huge INT. Revis was clutch and I'll always remember how he made REALLY good receivers look ordinary ... probably still top 5 and if he stood healthy would be right behind Sherman IMO but since he's not 100% its not even close. Sherman is by far the CB in Football ... He's a shutdown guy PLUS playmaker.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    King is usually wrong but he's right about Sherman being the best CB in the league. Even with Revis being healthy this year I think Sherman would have surpassed him. He has that Prime Time effect where he could shut you down and not just break up a pass but makes the huge INT. Sherman was a legit shut down guy last year holding some stars down but he also had 8 picks. If you throw at him he has potential to not just break up the pass but make a huge INT. Revis was clutch and I'll always remember how he made REALLY good receivers look ordinary ... probably still top 5 and if he stood healthy would be right behind Sherman IMO but since he's not 100% its not even close. Sherman is by far the CB in Football ... He's a shutdown guy PLUS playmaker.
    Wow how soon we forget. I understand Revis may not be back and honestly may never be back to what he was but what he did for us those three years are off the charts and quite possibly the best a Cb has ever played in this league, bar none. That being said he isnt a Jet and was a pain in the ass when he was here so I am off his jock but I do wish him success.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    Revis makes 30 times what Sherman makes..LOL http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-s...chard-sherman/

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's say Revis gets cut next year. What are the chances the Jets go after Revis for less money and actually bring him back? Imagine having all the draft picks from Revis AND getting back the player you traded only one year later. The Jets would be monsters on defense.