Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OUR NEW HC SHOULD BE A CURRENT OC IN NFL

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    well said Savage. While it is only the first month, some of the luster of Harbaugh and the 49ers has certainly disappeared. Like Rex, year three, thus far, is not working out so well for SF given the lofty expectations. Again, I know it is early, but why isn't the same standard applied to JH as it was to Rex? Afterall, both enjoyed tremendous success in their first 2 seasons.
    Plus JH has had good QB production something Rex never had..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    well said Savage. While it is only the first month, some of the luster of Harbaugh and the 49ers has certainly disappeared. Like Rex, year three, thus far, is not working out so well for SF given the lofty expectations. Again, I know it is early, but why isn't the same standard applied to JH as it was to Rex? Afterall, both enjoyed tremendous success in their first 2 seasons.
    I don't think anyone was calling for Rex's head when the Jets were 2-2 in the 2011 season and nobody is calling for Harbaugh's head after a 2-2 start either. From what I recall it wasn't until the end of the 2011 season when we lost 3 straight and looked terrible in the process that fans started calling for Rex's head. Personally I agree with you - let the season play out, and see where we are at. The time for this discussion is the offseason.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    If Rex is fired at the end of the year, our next HC should be the best available coach out there regardless if he is offensive or defensive oriented coach
    So you want to fire Rex, and then hire him back? Why would you do that?

Our next hc should be Rex Ryan. Yeah, let's name a top OC as head coach so when our defense stinks we pine for the days of Rex. Morhinweg is a great OC, we should name him head coach cause that worked out awesome when he was in Detroit.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    The interim coach is NEVER the new GMs guy. Polian talked about this the other day. Two reasons:

1. If the GM was fired and head coach retained, the GM generally believes a lot of the reason for the GM being fired was the HC and that the HC was retained for contract reasons. Very reluctant to attach their star to someone that may have already gotten one GM fired.

2. The incumbent HC very very rarely aligns philosophically with what the GM wants scheme wise for the team. So he always wants his guy in place to run the scheme that he wants, and evaluate personnel in the same manner as the GM

It is extremely unlikely, barring a playoff run that Rex is coach next year. One only need to look at the situation in Chicago last year which is almost identical to the Jets current situation.
    I don't remember Lovie Smith winning 4 playoff games in his first two years with a rookie QB, and an average at best roster. I also don't remember Lovie having the worst QB in the NFL, or season ending injuries to his best receivers, TE, and CB, yet still winning 6 games. I also don't remember him being 2-2 with a glorified expansion team. Can we see what transpires before you go firing, our winningest HC, for the seemingly greener grass you think is next door? Maybe you don't watch other teams play, but football is a difficult game, and every HC make madding decisions, and they all look like idiots when things don't work. Rex is still a relatively inexperienced HC, and he has won us a lot of games, and we've played meaningful games every December since he's been here. Maybe you don't remember what it was like to be eliminated by Thanksgiving. Chances are around 95% that our next HC will be worse than Rex. I know this from experience. HOF HCs are not lining up outside the door.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    I hear Brian Schottenheimer is an up and comer. Anyone have any intel?
    Haha....good stuff!