Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CNN Celebrating Former Enemies: "Vietnam general who beat U.S. dies."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    If you believe that there is such a thing as "Tea Party textbooks", that they would exist in public schools, or that the current crusade of fiscal conservatism has anything to do with Vietnam, then yes, you are in fact a moonbat libtard.
    I think you missed the Key word "Future".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So much fail in this thread brought to us by the usual leftwing know-less-than-nothing
    dopes who get their news from Pravda-happy to splooge over anything that suggests American weakness/failure

The US never lost a single battle to Giap or N. Viet Nam Army

Tet was not a defeat, it was series of insurgencies that were all turned back but reported
    to the American public by an anti-American, anti-war creep and other media Marxists as defeats
    - and the fathers and grandfathers of today's all-day suckers bought it

Per lib media, these noble 3rd worlders practically willed themselves up out of their rice-paddied muck and mire
    to victory vs the French and Americans-never mind the metric tonnes of supplies fed to Ho Chi Minh
    by the PRC/USSR aka the axis of evil 1.0, to establish their own hegemony

Robert E. Lee and the Confederacy were memorialized by the Southern Establishment aka Democrats-not the
    Republicans or the Tea Party

etc.

Keep the misinformation/laughs coming, nitwits
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 10-05-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    So much fail in this thread brought to us by the usual leftwing know-less-than-nothing
    dopes who get their news from Pravda-happy to splooge over anything that suggests American weakness/failure

The US never lost a single battle to Giap or N. Viet Nam Army

Tet was not a defeat, it was series of insurgencies that were all turned back but reported
    to the American public by an anti-American, anti-war creep and other media Marxists as defeats
    - and the fathers and grandfathers of today's all-day suckers bought it

Per lib media, these noble 3rd worlders practically willed themselves up out of their rice-paddied muck and mire
    to victory vs the French and Americans-never mind the metric tonnes of supplies fed to Ho Chi Minh
    by the PRC/USSR aka the axis of evil 1.0, to establish their own hegemony

Robert E. Lee and the Confederacy were memorialized by the Southern Establishment aka Democrats-not the
    Republicans or the Tea Party

etc.

Keep the misinformation/laughs coming, nitwits

We lost battles during Vietnam. And whether we won the "WAR/AID MISSION" is subjective to what a person defines as winning. But if you like I can name some battles.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    I think you missed the Key word "Future".
    You think wrong (as if that would change the point anyway )

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We lost battles during Vietnam. And whether we won the "WAR/AID MISSION" is subjective to what a person defines as winning. But if you like I can name some battles.
    Go away Trashton, a skirmish or a Viet Cong raid is not a battle. The decisive battle was a Commie US Congress pulling funding.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go away Trashton, a skirmish or a Viet Cong raid is not a battle. The decisive battle was a Commie US Congress pulling funding.
    Trashton ?? hmmmm nice one. I see your the Vietnam expert of the board. Preach on oh holy one. lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trashton ?? hmmmm nice one. I see your the Vietnam expert of the board. Preach on oh holy one. lol
    I'd be interested in your list, specifically the battle(s) in which Giap defeated American forces.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be interested in your list, specifically the battle(s) in which Giap defeated American forces.
    If it was a discussion in which a REAL two way dialogue could be attained I'd be game. but getting flamed isn't my thing. you obviously have access to the net.simply look it up. "Battles US lost in Vietnam". Enjoy your research.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should have never been in Nam it was another Civil War. How many thousands of young men did we want to lose. I have a brother who I haven't spoken to in twenty years because of that friggin war. No more fighting other peoples wars!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Who here thinks we should have been in Vietnam?

If the answer is no, then why can't we respect a former enemy from a war most Americans believe was not justified?
    How much 'respect' do you have for Saddam? Or did you think the Iraq war was justified?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mluongo View Post
    How much 'respect' do you have for Saddam? Or did you think the Iraq war was justified?
    To answer your question:

The first one? Justified.

The second? No.

But more to the point; read at these two and tell me it's not completely apparent the two men are not comparable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vo_Nguyen_Giap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you believe that there is such a thing as "Tea Party textbooks", that they would exist in public schools, or that the current crusade of fiscal conservatism has anything to do with Vietnam, then yes, you are in fact a moonbat libtard.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1224157.html

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...with-textbooks

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The US never lost a single battle to Giap or N. Viet Nam Army.
    You're a funny guy but posts like this expose you as a fraud.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    You're a funny guy but posts like this expose you as a fraud.
    Which Battles, puke. You name one. Starlite? Hue'? Khe Sanh?

You wouldn't know the Gulf of Tonkin from a Tonka truck.

Now stick your head back up your arse before you suffocate from fresh air.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it was a discussion in which a REAL two way dialogue could be attained I'd be game. but getting flamed isn't my thing. you obviously have access to the net.simply look it up. "Battles US lost in Vietnam". Enjoy your research.
    Why backtrack? Did you not just say a couple of posts earlier that "if you like, you can name some battles"?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which Battles, puke. You name one. Starlite? Hue'? Khe Sanh?

You wouldn't know the Gulf of Tonkin from a Tonka truck.

Now stick your head back up your arse before you suffocate from fresh air.
    why bother, I would name them....then you would say the weren't "battles"...they don't count.

it's all so silly. Americans never lose...we just keep score differently! We're like fantasy football owners...our stats are awesome!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why backtrack? Did you not just say a couple of posts earlier that "if you like, you can name some battles"?
    Battle of Kham Duc

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    why bother, I would name them....then you would say the weren't "battles"...they don't count.

it's all so silly. Americans never lose...we just keep score differently! We're like fantasy football owners...our stats are awesome!
    Yup. I named one anyway. but I'll get flamed on how and why it doesn't count. battles become skirmishes and skirmishes become battles fairly quickly in theater. but how would I know.

"Semper Fi"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which Battles, puke. You name one.

Here's a list of 70...I look forward to your explanation why each is wrong. Or you can just call the source a liberal puke.

http://www.g2mil.com/lost_vietnam.htm

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the late replies, again, am not online on weekends currently.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    The cause of defeating terrorism is a worthy goal too, but that doesn't mean every time it's cited as a reason for invasion that the war is just.
    Agreed.

But hey, first this thread was about CNN "celebrating" former enemies, now that the WSJ also "celebrated" this thread is about what exactly?
    I'm not sure why you think the WSJ should sway my view that the core of the article (praising an enemy who killed many of our Soldiers and happily proclaiming our defeat).

I think you may be mistaking me for someone who says "New York Times EVIL, WSJ GOOD!". I'd like to think folks would realize my viewpoints are not formed in such a politically bipolar way.

But hey it's cool, Churchill - "The War was over before I was born, so it's safe to say my feelings on it's being "just" at the time or not is quite irrelevant." - I'll remember that the next time you bring up any part of our history before Vietnam.
    You asked me a morality question I am incappable of answering, and I said as much. Vietnam was not WWII, and I cannot judge as easilty the motivations involved on our side.

I felt I answered tyhe core question rather clearly: Communism (in the real world) is an evil equal to Nazi'ism, and should be fought at every opportunity. The question in Vietnam is more broad, was there a legitimate U.S. interest there. Like most U.S. wars since WWII, that is a VERY questionable issue, and I tend to learn towards no. Communism in Mexico, sure, I could see us fighting over that in 1970. In Vietnam....not so much. But again, having not lived through that era as an adult, it's very difficult to place myself in that spot, where the spread of teh evil of Communism appeared to be something akin to Hitler in 1938, an unstoppable force that would consume all around the USSR, and hence eventually put the U.S. in serious risk.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Well, he did "beat" the USA didn't he? What exactly is your point here? I know you're a fan of military history. Military strategists evaluate past events by looking at them with objective eyes, judging the performance/outcome dispassionately. But here you seem to be reacting emotionally to a headline you've decided is "anti-American" because it credits an adversary with achieving an outcome you don't happen to like.
    My points are 1. Our media is acting inappropriately by praising his so-called defeat of the United States. In the same way I would find a Hitler-led or stalin-led defeat of the U.S. to be something we shouldn't toast, our failure in Vietnam is also somethign I would say should not be praised by our own media. Specificly, I find the fictional history being described (a millitary defeat, as opposed to a political defeat) to be offensive.

Right. The link does not match the article...just there to get clicks. The new journalism.
    Unsurpising, tbqh, right? I think we agree.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Giap was brilliant military strategist and yes this may not get taught to our future generations of children who read Tea Party textbooks but the NVA did in fact win the Vietnam War. I'm not a Vietnam vet but I am a US Army combat veteran and am mature enough to understand not every brilliant military tactician has always been on our side. Cue the "oh your just a libtard moonbat" garbage.
    Yes and no. The U.S. Millitary was not, in fact, defeated. The U.S. Political machine was. Or put differently, If the U.S. lost the War, we we defeated more by our own Political Leaders than by anything the NVA did or did not do.