Thread: White had a setback against the Pats

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

White had a setback against the Pats

Surprised nobody started a thread about this:

Falcons | Roddy White had setback Fri, 04 Oct 2013 12:05:52 -0700
    Atlanta Falcons WR Roddy White (ankle) suffered a setback in his recovery from a high ankle sprain in Week 4, although he played 74 of the team's 76 offensive snaps. "Yeah, and I learned a very valuable lesson from that," White said. "I ain't where I need to be yet." He has 10 catches for 84 yards and no touchdowns this year.
    Fantasy Tip: We'd still expect White to play in Week 5 against the New York Jets on Monday night, but don't expect a whole lot from him. With the bye week coming, the Falcons will likely do everything in their power to have White be 100 percent healthy for Week 7.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/7/nfl/atlan...#ixzz2got3S3jH

Pretty big news, seems as if the team and White could be looking ahead with the Falcons having a bye week after this week's game against the Jets, it could be a sign he might not play to give him two full weeks off to get him to 100%.

I would think this is something to keep an eye on as the game gets closer.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cro is clearly going to be on Jones. That could be a tough matchup as Cro hasn't looked 100% yet. Who the heck is going to be on Gonzalez??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Cro is clearly going to be on Jones. That could be a tough matchup as Cro hasn't looked 100% yet. Who the heck is going to be on Gonzalez??
    Before watching the Miami game, I was thinking, at 37, 38, Gonzo has to be a shell of himself, but man, he did look pretty good, he doesn't age, he's a tough match-up still.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Walls still has some tough work to do even if White is only 80% or so. Sad that Millner will be out, I think he would have helped us a ton in this game. Walls I was not impressed with especially on that TD pass early at Titans, can't lose those simple jump balls. I'm willing to give him another shot though, he does carry a ton of hype from this board.

As for gonzo I hope Wilson and lankster are ready.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully Matt Ryan doesn't have too much time to feed Gonzo all day for significant gains...
    We have possibly the best D-line in the NFL and it will get better (which is crazy to think about) and Atl's O-line is all kinds of busted up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gonzalez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Non conference game which in normal circumstances he wouldn't even play, but the Falcons are desparate to keep up with the Saints so White will suit up.
    Usually, when a player announces that he's hurting or has a setback, it's a cry out that he would like to sit so he can heal up.
    Smith is under tremendous pressure this year, so he won't even think about sitting White, he'll just use him as a decoy.
    Hopefully White is like 60% so we can use a scrub on him & be able to cover Jones & Gonzo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HighJetsFan View Post
    Walls still has some tough work to do even if White is only 80% or so. Sad that Millner will be out, I think he would have helped us a ton in this game. Walls I was not impressed with especially on that TD pass early at Titans, can't lose those simple jump balls. I'm willing to give him another shot though, he does carry a ton of hype from this board.

As for gonzo I hope Wilson and lankster are ready.
    Just for perspective on the jump ball vs walls, he had great coverage on the play, he just was covering a guy who is 6'5 230+ - thats a tough play on a jump ball no matter who the CB is.

As for white being hurt and Cro being on Julio, I kinda think we should go the other way.

80% of Roddy White is still a good player, so put cro on him and ensure he is taken completely out of the game (yes I think Cro can completely shut out an injured white).

Then that leaves Tony G and Julio.

From what I read about the Falcons, apparently Rob Ryan used 2 guys on Gonzalez at the line (similar to a gunner on the punt team facing 2 guys) to prevent him from getting off the line. Gonzalez had a TD, but only 3 catches for 36 yards vs the saints against that coverage. The pats then went to the same coverage on the last drive sun night and apparently helped slow him down as he had completely gashed them the whole game.

We can run that type of coverage against him as our front 4 should be able to handle the run, even if we "give up" a player to double gonzalez. A combo of demario and antonio allen (who should be decent in coverage vs the TE as gonzalez's games isnt based on speed anymore) should be able to slow him down.

As for Julio, there shouldnt be a single play where he isn't covered by walls and either wilson or landry. He will get his catches and yards, but either way, we should be able to double him the entire game and if we can slow him down in his patterns, it will give our dline (who should have a big advantage vs their Oline) that extra second to get to Ryan.

If that is the "big picture" game plan, our defense would basically be a 4 man line with harris as MLB, double coverage with allen in the box and demario as an "OLB" on Gonzalez. Single coverage on white, double coverage with the extra DB on julio, and Landry as the "deep safety" covering. Not a terrible matchup for us

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Just for perspective on the jump ball vs walls, he had great coverage on the play, he just was covering a guy who is 6'5 230+ - thats a tough play on a jump ball no matter who the CB is.

As for white being hurt and Cro being on Julio, I kinda think we should go the other way.

80% of Roddy White is still a good player, so put cro on him and ensure he is taken completely out of the game (yes I think Cro can completely shut out an injured white).

Then that leaves Tony G and Julio.

From what I read about the Falcons, apparently Rob Ryan used 2 guys on Gonzalez at the line (similar to a gunner on the punt team facing 2 guys) to prevent him from getting off the line. Gonzalez had a TD, but only 3 catches for 36 yards vs the saints against that coverage. The pats then went to the same coverage on the last drive sun night and apparently helped slow him down as he had completely gashed them the whole game.

We can run that type of coverage against him as our front 4 should be able to handle the run, even if we "give up" a player to double gonzalez. A combo of demario and antonio allen (who should be decent in coverage vs the TE as gonzalez's games isnt based on speed anymore) should be able to slow him down.

As for Julio, there shouldnt be a single play where he isn't covered by walls and either wilson or landry. He will get his catches and yards, but either way, we should be able to double him the entire game and if we can slow him down in his patterns, it will give our dline (who should have a big advantage vs their Oline) that extra second to get to Ryan.

If that is the "big picture" game plan, our defense would basically be a 4 man line with harris as MLB, double coverage with allen in the box and demario as an "OLB" on Gonzalez. Single coverage on white, double coverage with the extra DB on julio, and Landry as the "deep safety" covering. Not a terrible matchup for us

I agree, double Jones at all times with a CB underneath and a safety over the top, let Cro cover White one on one and hammer Gonzo at the line with LBs and have a safety over him as well. The Falcons run game is nothing special.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Itwas in one of Kelly's threads.

It will be good for our D. Hopefully make a difference.