Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When did you lose your faith in Rex Ryan as a head coach?

When did you lose your faith in Rex Ryan as a head coach?

When did you lose your faith in Rex Ryan as a head coach? I know its not a simple question, but I was wondering how you guys felt about this. When was the most critical point of Rex Ryan's 4+ years tenure as head coach of the Jets that caused you to lose faith in his ability to ever lead the team to a super bowl victory? This is hard to post about coming from me since I was always a huge Rex Ryan. I always supported him because I thought it was short sighted to say hes not a good head coach simply because he is a defensive guru who doesn't have the first clue about offense, since around 90% of head coaches in the league I would say only know one side of the ball. But I know its time to move on soon.

I figure I would ask now since this will very likely be his last season. I figured I would ask this juncture in the season since 3 out of the last 4 games dating back to the preseason Rex has made some coaching decisions that I would not expect a pee wee football coach to make, even if he was brain dead. The ones I am referring to are putting your potential starting QB or at least backup QB in a preseason game with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter against 3rd stringers, blowing the game against TB in week 1 with horrid clock management (only to be saved by an even more moronic opponent penalty), and calling two punt returns last week with no returners.

These are the ones that come to mind, in order of most critical to least critical:

1. AFC Championship game against Pitt- Having absolutely no contingency plan whatsoever in the biggest game of your head coaching career to date in the event that the QB's headsets malfunction. Costing your team crucial minutes regarding this issue that would very likely have given the team another possession to make it to the super bowl.

2. Putting your most likely starting QB in a week 3 preseason game with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter against 3rd string defenders leaving him susceptible to injury in a meaningless game against most players who will never appear in an NFL game again. Then admitting after the game that you wanted to win the game.

3. Blowing the game against TB in week 1 this season by wasting 14 seconds before timeouts on back to back plays on the opponent's last drive giving yourself a much lower chance to have a last drive.

I know no coach is perfect, but I am beginning to see recurring issues even with his forte, defense. I cant even count how many times the defense has been so great all game yet cant get a stop or at least prevent the opponent from milking the clock on their final drive (see just this year against TB and NE). It also really bothers me how I have repeatedly seen games where the opponent only has one receiver who is any good, yet Revis was not covering him on every play in past years, or at least Cromartie this year. Why the heck did we have a linebacker guarding Julian Edelman on the Pats last offensive drive on 3rd time that all but sealed the game.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

havent

People will lose their faith in everyone at some point. Fact is, Rex is a good coach. He has ups and downs. No one was complaining when the Jets went to two straight AFC championship games, but now we want to fire him and bring in the next coach, who we will run out of town shortly at the first sign of trouble.

You're complaining about Edelman, and the Jets defense holding Brady and company to 13 points, but nothing said about the Jets offense not being able to score, and turning the ball over 4 times?

With an average offense this Jets team is playoff bound. I don't like a lot of decisions made, but damn it, the Jets have a good - no great defense. Revis is an afterthought at this point. Rex is a good coach, and although I'm disappointed at some of his actions or inactions, I'm glad he's here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I haven't lost all faith, don't want him fired, but do think be should be on the hot seat. That said, a tipping point for me was the final game of the 2011 season against Miami. Playoff spot on the line, playing our most-hated rivals, and the players completely mailed it in. Rex didn't even know that our $50 million receiver wasnt in the game. Made me furious then and still does a few years later tbh.

When did you stop beating your wife?

All League
    I love Rex, best thing to happen to the Jets since Herm.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Best coach we've had since Bill!

Jets Insider VIP
    If Rex would stay as Defensive Coordinator I would be all for it.

He certainly has his ups and downs. I'm still hoping he is our HC in 2014.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I haven't lost all faith, don't want him fired, but do think be should be on the hot seat. That said, a tipping point for me was the final game of the 2011 season against Miami. Playoff spot on the line, playing our most-hated rivals, and the players completely mailed it in. Rex didn't even know that our $50 million receiver wasnt in the game. Made me furious then and still does a few years later tbh.
    This closely spells out how I feel. I am dumbfounded by his keeping Mark in the game many times in 2012 when the game was over, Edelman last week and others but look around the league. he is a top 12 to 15 coach and can get better.

As a HC he has never given me a reason to doubt him. He has been great.

All League
    Hasn't happened

Waterboy
    You can point out all the things that Rex has done wrong over the years. But the bottom line is he bought us to 2 AFC championships with Sanchez as QB and Shotty as the OC. That's enough proof for me that he's a good coach. Plus you know every year the D is going to be there

REX went from a breath of fresh air to a load of hot air after his repeated, ridiculous SB predictions. In addition, PT Barnum Ryan always talking about his elite defense
    every year....delusional at this point.

Jets Insider VIP
    When a team is winning the coach gets credit. Jets lost last two season and Rex is looked at under that prism;however, would you want to trade with SB coach Tom Coflin right now ie., Giants lost last 2.

Quote Originally Posted by knightfall72 View Post
    You can point out all the things that Rex has done wrong over the years. But the bottom line is he bought us to 2 AFC championships with Sanchez as QB and Shotty as the OC. That's enough proof for me that he's a good coach. Plus you know every year the D is going to be there
    One of these years when we get the offense right - look out.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Haven't. Love him.

All League
    I also haven't. I lost my faith in Tannenbaum to build a team 2 years ago, and thats the main reason the situation is what it is right now. Hopefully Idzik can fix that. Rex has his faults, one of the being his dedication to certain players, but loyalty like that is why players like to play for him. It's a double edge sword. Greg Schiano is about to find out the opposite side of that philosophy. Rex's ego has taken some serious hits the past 2 seasons, and it's going to make him a better coach, whether it is for the Jets or elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    I also haven't. I lost my faith in Tannenbaum to build a team 2 years ago, and thats the main reason the situation is what it is right now. Hopefully Idzik can fix that. Rex has his faults, one of the being his dedication to certain players, but loyalty like that is why players like to play for him. It's a double edge sword. Greg Schiano is about to find out the opposite side of that philosophy. Rex's ego has taken some serious hits the past 2 seasons, and it's going to make him a better coach, whether it is for the Jets or elsewhere.
    To be honest, I want brash angry Rex back. He's better, and the team is better, when he's like that.

The media has exposed itself. Idzik has a lot to do with that - with the silence the team has displayed.

Now it's time to let Rex loose. Let the team take on his real personality. They play better when they do.

i like Rex as a coach but as a talent evaluator he's god awful. He spoke of Shonn Greene as if he was Jamal Lewis in his prime .. he spoke of Eric Smith as if he was Ed Reed at times. He much rather have a guy not be a playmaker defensively and be super confined following the defensive scheme rather than have a guy go for it (although he let Landry be Landryl last year) ... Sticking with Greene, Eric Smith, Pace, Scott, Leonard (who I liked), Bryan Thomas, & etc ... we should have moved on from a lot of these guys as well as others much sooner and he always talked these guys up and not only kept em here but never took them off the field no matter what the cause was.

Great coaches know when its time for guys to move on and knock on their GM's doors to say "i can't play this guy its hurting us more than helping" and things get done. Rex is way too loyal for his own good. Its a gift and a curse but Rex will defense one of his players at all cost 95% of the time and I have a feeling how he does it to the media is how he lives it behind closed doors. The proof is there with all the guys he stuck with when 95% of other teams would have let these guys go.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    To be honest, I want brash angry Rex back. He's better, and the team is better, when he's like that.

The media has exposed itself. Idzik has a lot to do with that - with the silence the team has displayed.

Now it's time to let Rex loose. Let the team take on his real personality. They play better when they do.
    I want to clarify my statement, because I actually agree. I ultimately would like to see the brash Rex back as well, maybe a slightly less brash, but a far cry from what he is now.

I actually think, and what I was referring to, is that some of the poor seasons opened his eyes to what it truly takes. He is willing to hand over the offense to a proven offensive mind, not a puppet he can force "ground and pound" as much as he likes. He realizes he has to cut ties with "his guys" when they can no longer cut it. He knows better now how to coach to his teams strengths, rather than what he hopes their strengths would be. I just think he's far more rounded as a coach.

But yes, I want fat brash Rex, coupled with the new Rex.