Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The WR problem

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We need to draft at least two wr's this off season.
    True. Lots of good Wrs in this draft. Right now my dream scenario to improve this offense would be to draft:

First round: Watkins Wr Clemson
    2nd: Seastrunk RB Baylor
    3rd: Beckham Jr. WR LSU
    3rd: Amaro TE Texas Tech.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still have to go BPA on your board IMO.

I wouldn't mind Austin Seferian-Jenkins or Mike Evans IF we're picking mid-late 1st.

BPA or trade down in the top 10. I don't believe in taking a WR that early unless we're talking Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones etc.. Lee and Watkins are not on that tier and will not be BPA at that time.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets really should over-address the WR situation in the offseason. They are severely lacking talent at the position and it's being compounded by concussions and injuries in general. Even when healthy outside of Kerley all of our receivers are being relied on to fill a role higher than they're capable of. Holmes is our best receiver but on a team with proper WR talent in todays NFL he's a #2 receiver at best. Hill? He's a #3 or #4 guy, not a #2. Forget about the other WR's on the roster. They aren't NFL WRs and when they're forced into action it's a disaster. I'll leave Nelson out too because I haven't seen him play yet after coming back from injury.

Throw in an injury and you've got guys being asked to play 2 levels above what they're capable of. When you ask someone to do something they aren't capable of it's your fault, not there's. /rant

Looking at the projected 2014 FA WR's, I'd try to get Hakeem Nicks to at least temporarily fill the #1 spot. He's not the ideal #1, but good enough and much better than anything we have now IMO. It would be nice to get him and also try to land one of Jacoby Jones or Jeremy Maclin.

Even then I'd like to see them make WR a priority in the draft. They need to try to find a guy that is capable of filling the #1 spot and has both the physical attributes and resume to back that up.
    Last edited by nyjfollower; 10-05-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Shaquelle Evans out of UCLA

I think he will last to rounds 4-5
    he is not that tall but is fast and have great hands

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True. Lots of good Wrs in this draft. Right now my dream scenario to improve this offense would be to draft:

First round: Watkins Wr Clemson
    2nd: Seastrunk RB Baylor
    3rd: Beckham Jr. WR LSU
    3rd: Amaro TE Texas Tech.
    Watkins & Seastrunk would satisfy me on offense for the whole off-season. Also, try to go hard for Jimmy Graham at TE.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    I'm all in for Hakeem Nicks and drafting a WR and TE.
    This ! Been saying this to all my friends who are gint dans no way they pay nicks with all the help they need at oline and defense and limited money

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    This ! Been saying this to all my friends who are gint dans no way they pay nicks with all the help they need at oline and defense and limited money

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    How much is Nicks gonna be expecting to make?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    How much is Nicks gonna be expecting to make?
    We shouldnt consider nicks because right now he is not winning 1 on 1 matchups and we would pay him #1? Money and he will be doubled so it makes no sense. We should draft 2 wrs in the first 4 rounds

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets4everFlying View Post
    We shouldnt consider nicks because right now he is not winning 1 on 1 matchups and we would pay him #1? Money and he will be doubled so it makes no sense. We should draft 2 wrs in the first 4 rounds
    I certainly wouldn't want them overpaying for him...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

forgetting someone...?
    DAMN FORGOT ROBINSON FROM PENN STATE .... This Class is loaded at wideout ... This ain't counting the wideouts from smaller schools ...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Nicks, I would take him in a heartbeat if the money is right but I was always of the opinion he is a wee bit overrated and sort of injury prone ala last year...with that in mind what about Maclin? Idk if the Eagles are interested in paying him and coming off a serious injury we might be able to get him for cheaps...still gotta go hard on WR in the draft tho...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the jetropolitan ranger View Post
    I agree with Nicks, I would take him in a heartbeat if the money is right but I was always of the opinion he is a wee bit overrated and sort of injury prone ala last year...with that in mind what about Maclin? Idk if the Eagles are interested in paying him and coming off a serious injury we might be able to get him for cheaps...still gotta go hard on WR in the draft tho...
    The issue with Nicks is the standard has been set too high for FA WR. Average guys, the top WR FA have made around 10-12 mil a year on the market every year for a few years now. The fact someone actually gave Harvin the money he got was mind blowing to me. Nicks is easy a better WR then Harvin. At min he gets what Sidney Rice got at 5 years 41 mil and that is if he misses a good part of the year MAYBE. Jenning got 5 years 45 and he barely played the year prior and is like 30. Nicks will be 26, has multiple 1k yard years, and doesnt seem to have any attitude issues I'm aware of. If he doesnt get at least 10 mil a year Id actually be shocked. Assuming he does hit the market. The Giants could very well VJax him for 2-3 years if they want. Given they drafted Randle I dont see it however.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So this offseason do you draft or sign a WR. I say its better to draft one because he is cheaper and will develop with your quarterback. But if you pay a WR big money and you have mo answer at QB its pointless so thats why I see us drafting a WR instead of signing one
    I feel these type of discussions miss the point. I think and hope that under Idzig and going forward from here that this organization drafts BPA regardless of position and goes FA for need. Actually, drafting skill payers is always a crap shoot. I'd prefer to be selective cap wise but tend more towards FA known commodities for skill players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    not even a little bit true
    My apologizes. I assumed something, and posted it before i got the facts straight. i knew last week he hurt his knee, and they were talking, at least Kiffen about how serious it was. i assumed something i shouldn't have. Sorry

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by requiem View Post
    Still have to go BPA on your board IMO.

I wouldn't mind Austin Seferian-Jenkins or Mike Evans IF we're picking mid-late 1st.

BPA or trade down in the top 10. I don't believe in taking a WR that early unless we're talking Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones etc.. Lee and Watkins are not on that tier and will not be BPA at that time.
    By your suggestion (and some others stating the same), what if your BPA on your board is a DL or LT?

I'm guessing alot of teams boards are arranged with players in clusters i.e. 1-6, 7-12,13-18 etc......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No ay to nicks, tanny isn't here anymore plus nicks is on his way down and would be too expensive. I say draft at least one WR in rounds 1-3 and sign a veteran with good hands for depth ( assuming Holmes will be let go)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    They need to be able to CATCH!!!

When the ball hits their hands they must CATCH IT!

And if it bounces off their face or numbers, they should have CAUGHT IT!!!

That shlt is not on the QB.
    +1

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign one, draft one.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    The Jets really should over-address the WR situation in the offseason. They are severely lacking talent at the position and it's being compounded by concussions and injuries in general. Even when healthy outside of Kerley all of our receivers are being relied on to fill a role higher than they're capable of. Holmes is our best receiver but on a team with proper WR talent in todays NFL he's a #2 receiver at best. Hill? He's a #3 or #4 guy, not a #2. Forget about the other WR's on the roster. They aren't NFL WRs and when they're forced into action it's a disaster. I'll leave Nelson out too because I haven't seen him play yet after coming back from injury.

Throw in an injury and you've got guys being asked to play 2 levels above what they're capable of. When you ask someone to do something they aren't capable of it's your fault, not there's. /rant

Looking at the projected 2014 FA WR's, I'd try to get Hakeem Nicks to at least temporarily fill the #1 spot. He's not the ideal #1, but good enough and much better than anything we have now IMO. It would be nice to get him and also try to land one of Jacoby Jones or Jeremy Maclin.

Even then I'd like to see them make WR a priority in the draft. They need to try to find a guy that is capable of filling the #1 spot and has both the physical attributes and resume to back that up.

I still believe Hill will develop into a SOLID #1 receiver. He is and always will be a three year project just like Demaryius Thomas. That said I could see the Jets using their first four picks on WR RB and TE

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    By your suggestion (and some others stating the same), what if your BPA on your board is a DL or LT?

I'm guessing alot of teams boards are arranged with players in clusters i.e. 1-6, 7-12,13-18 etc......
    Thats what Polian has stated. He also said teams never really draft entirely by BPA unless the player is dramatically better than any other player on the board