Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coples as trade bait.

There's no reason for this team to trade a 1st rounder for Graham. Once again, that's a move you only make if you feel you're 1 player away. In all other scenarios, you keep the 1st rounder and continue to build your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Don't get me wrong I would love Graham on this roster just not at the expense of Q.

Do you think they would consider one of our other 1st rounders? Say Wilson
    We have Wilkerson Douzable,and Richardson. What if there were a few OLB's that Ryan had a conviction on who would be available in RD2, or 3??

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    There's no reason for this team to trade a 1st rounder for Graham. Once again, that's a move you only make if you feel you're 1 player away. In all other scenarios, you keep the 1st rounder and continue to build your team.
    Grahan will be an impact guy for a while. Would we really be taking a step back. We would lose a little youth on defense,and that 1st rounder is a total unknown. Look at what were dealing with Millner

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Isn't Graham a free agent this offseason????

Coples has looked good at OLB last 2 weeks just off an injury.
    GOOD? As a 3-4 OLB his main job is to rush the passer and so far he's looked below average doing that. Pace was even more effective and made more plays and that guy sucks. Coples run defense is decent but he needs to get after the QB. Without good pass rush from the OLB the 3-4 is basically useless. We're just lucky we got Sheldon & Wilk on the line to make up for it otherwise we'd be getting killed.

And NO I wouldn't trade Coples, especially not for a TE. Winslow is doing pretty good, he can be a 10 rec. 150 yd TE here if we get him the ball enough times and we got that guy for free. No way in hell do you pay a big price for a different TE who might be a little more productive. It's not like Graham would guarantee us anything, the QB still needs to get the ball to him. A #1 + Coples? Makes no sense. I wouldn't even do it straight up for Coples. The TE position is FINE. We need to worry about the QB position if you're gonna give up your former #1 pick and a 1st round draft choice. Hell, we could get a franchise QB (when tagged) for 2 1st rounders. Why basically give up the same for a TE? Makes no sense. 2nd round pick maybe.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Here i go again. the drafting of Richardson, has really left Coples without a position. Its still early, but he looks like a fish out of water so far at OLB. If the Saints franchise Graham, would the Jets consider, Dangling Coples and a #1, for Graham???If so, would the Saints take the bait??????
    When we have a new coach next year we will have a formal 4-3.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    GOOD? As a 3-4 OLB his main job is to rush the passer and so far he's looked below average doing that. Pace was even more effective and made more plays and that guy sucks. Coples run defense is decent but he needs to get after the QB. Without good pass rush from the OLB the 3-4 is basically useless. We're just lucky we got Sheldon & Wilk on the line to make up for it otherwise we'd be getting killed.

And NO I wouldn't trade Coples, especially not for a TE. Winslow is doing pretty good, he can be a 10 rec. 150 yd TE here if we get him the ball enough times and we got that guy for free. No way in hell do you pay a big price for a different TE who might be a little more productive. It's not like Graham would guarantee us anything, the QB still needs to get the ball to him. A #1 + Coples? Makes no sense. I wouldn't even do it straight up for Coples. The TE position is FINE. We need to worry about the QB position if you're gonna give up your former #1 pick and a 1st round draft choice. Hell, we could get a franchise QB (when tagged) for 2 1st rounders. Why basically give up the same for a TE? Makes no sense. 2nd round pick maybe.
    Were not talking about your ordinary tight end.This guy commands double teams on every down.You have to commit a linebacker to him all the time.One of the reasons Sproles is such a good weapon.Like i said, itsl early, but i don't see any explosion from Coples standing up.Not a surprise considering he's 290 lbs.

If the saints franchise him, and somebody wants him, be perpared to pay the price.
    But what does that have to do with the jets trading Coples and what may very well be a top 12 pick for Graham? Graham is going to want 8+ and your giving up two young cheap players to get him. What if he does not want to play on a rebuilding team with a young QB?

The trade makes no sense.

Were not talking about your ordinary tight end.This guy commands double teams on every down.You have to commit a linebacker to him all the time.One of the reasons spoles is such a good weapon.Like i said, itsl early, but i don't see any explosion from Coples standing up.Not a surprise considering he's 290 lbs.
    But we can get the job done with Winslow so the price to pay for an upgrade at TE would be just too steep. Graham is so dangerous because of NO's offense, they have so many weapons and Brees can really pick and choose, even the guys that aren't good make bigplays there because he just sees every little hole and he's always spot on with his accuracy. We can't do that here.

Coples doesn't look good rushing the passer from any spot to be honest. He's a decent run stopping OLB a la Willie McGinest (much later in his career) but I was hoping he'd turn into a Suggs type LB. But he's not a natural pass rusher standing up. He can get it done inside in nickel formations when we line him up as a DT but that's definitely not enough. Right now the only pass rush we're getting @ LB is from Barnes and maybe Pace a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    But what does that have to do with the jets trading Coples and what may very well be a top 12 pick for Graham? Graham is going to want 8+ and your giving up two young cheap players to get him. What if he does not want to play on a rebuilding team with a young QB?

The trade makes no sense.
    I with much respect, diagree. In my view, were trading a defensive lineman a position were stacked at,for a player that will have a huge impact on the offense and geno's growth as a QB. The 1st round pick,is an unknown?Watkins has character concerns, and Lee has injury concerns. As much as i like QC, adding Graham would have more positive impact than the negative effect of losing Coples.

This board, man...

I haven't focused on coples yet but I don't remember ever thinking he looked like a fish out of water. What specifically makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    I haven't focused on coples yet but I don't remember ever thinking he looked like a fish out of water. What specifically makes you say that?
    He's slow to the ball. Its different when your standing up and have more responsibilities.Thats why you want that explosion and first step quickness from an OLB. Look at that play last week, he got fined on. Thats the closest he;'s been to the QB, and he was 3 seconds late. Its early though. Maybe as the season goes on, he'll start playing, and do less thinking out there.
    Last edited by GenoT; 10-06-2013 at 09:17 AM.

All Pro
    Q had two QB hits on EJ. Our pass rush was ineffective against Ten. because they got the ball out so quickly, and their oline is really good, so I can't really judge that one. Pace had a sack, but he was completely unblocked. Obviously Coples was pretty close on the hit that knocked Locker out. You certainly can't judge the man based on his first two games at a new position anyway. Can we give it a little time?

Here i go again. the drafting of Richardson, has really left Coples without a position. Its still early, but he looks like a fish out of water so far at OLB. If the Saints franchise Graham, would the Jets consider, Dangling Coples and a #1, for Graham???If so, would the Saints take the bait??????
    He looks like a fish out of water so far at OLB? What games have you been watching? He's looked good since coming back.

All Pro
    He's slow to the ball. Its different when your standing up and have more responsibilities.Thats why you want that explosion and first step quickness from an OLB. Look at that play last week, he got fined on. Thats the closest he;'s been to the QB, and he was 3 seconds late. Its early though. Maybe as the season goes on, he'll start playing, and do less thinking out there.
    He had two QB knockdowns on EJ. Did you forget to watch that game? Btw he was 3 steps late, not 3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He had two QB knockdowns on EJ. Did you forget to watch that game? Btw he was 3 steps late, not 3 seconds.
    And was being held like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    He looks like a fish out of water so far at OLB? What games have you been watching? He's looked good since coming back.
    Good? In what area?

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Q had two QB hits on EJ. Our pass rush was ineffective against Ten. because they got the ball out so quickly, and their oline is really good, so I can't really judge that one. Pace had a sack, but he was completely unblocked. Obviously Coples was pretty close on the hit that knocked Locker out. You certainly can't judge the man based on his first two games at a new position anyway. Can we give it a little time?
    I agree with you, and i've said so.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    He is ONE man. Historically.... look at great teams. Their talent comes from the draft not trades. Why buck 50 years of history?
    He is a 3rd round pick, Marquis Colston from Hofstra was a 7th. The Saints have a GREAT scouting department. We MUST draft better and develop players better.
    Actually in football there are few trades, teams make trades and win, just not many like other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    And was being held like crazy.
    I love QC.but its a legitimate question whether he's playing out of position