Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coples as trade bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Actually in football there are few trades, teams make trades and win, just not many like other sports.
    I agree, so lets get Graham, and draft an impact OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I agree, so lets get Graham, and draft an impact OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    NOt for a first and Coples.

Thats way to much to give up.

When I look at our team the one thing I do not say is "wow, we're just a TE away."

I with much respect, diagree. In my view, were trading a defensive lineman a position were stacked at,for a player that will have a huge impact on the offense and geno's growth as a QB. The 1st round pick,is an unknown?Watkins has character concerns, and Lee has injury concerns. As much as i like QC, adding Graham would have more positive impact than the negative effect of losing Coples.
    What do you mean your stacked at it? Ellis and Wilkenson are both FA after next year and you want 8 mill less in the kitty to sign them and also create a need at the defensive line. You don't know if you will be running a 3-4 or a 4-3 next year? What if the season falls apart and the jets draft top 6?

Trading #1s are for teams that are that close, not for teams trying to build something.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What do you mean your stacked at it? Ellis and Wilkenson are both FA after next year and you want 8 mill less in the kitty to sign them and also create a need at the defensive line. You don't know if you will be running a 3-4 or a 4-3 next year? What if the season falls apart and the jets draft top 6?

Trading #1s are for teams that are that close, not for teams trying to build something.
    If you were a young QB, wouldn't Graham make it alot easier on you.A 6'7",tight end with deep speed.I disagree with us not being close, sorry.Thats what Jags fans and Raiders fans should be saying,not us.

Hall Of Fame
    Jimmy Graham will never be as good outside that offense as he is inside it. Great player but he is going to get more than Gronk did. Pass.

@ this thread

All Pro
    Here i go again. the drafting of Richardson, has really left Coples without a position. Its still early, but he looks like a fish out of water so far at OLB. If the Saints franchise Graham, would the Jets consider, Dangling Coples and a #1, for Graham???If so, would the Saints take the bait??????
    this was actually a rational thought.............. nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo way would i ever even consider this unless we were getting a 24 year old calvin johnson.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Here i go again. the drafting of Richardson, has really left Coples without a position. Its still early, but he looks like a fish out of water so far at OLB. If the Saints franchise Graham, would the Jets consider, Dangling Coples and a #1, for Graham???If so, would the Saints take the bait??????
    Oh you can bet some of our D is most likely going to be trade bait in some fashion, at some point but not that scenario. That's where our abundance of talent lies.

Jets Insider VIP
    Graham is on his way to being the best tight end of all time. And you think they would tade him where the main player they get in return is quintin coples?

Hahahahahahahaha.

Thanks for the laugh.

As reported by several media outlets, the Saints have begun to explore a contract extension for standout tight end Jimmy Graham, who will earn a little over $1.3 million this season in the final year of his rookie contract. The talks, though, are progressing (using that term generously) very slowly. What could be interesting, if there is no extension and the Saints are forced to use a “franchise” tag on Graham. There is some thought that agent Jimmy Sexton, citing the frequency with which Graham is “flexed” off the line, will attempt to argue that his client should receive a franchise tender at the wide receiver level. That has not yet been an element of any contract talks

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...medium=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed. GenoT is behaving Like MikeT. The reason we are where we are is trading away picks. NO WAY I trade away Coples and a number 1 for Graham..not sure the Saints would either.

Id rather trade Coples for a pick if at all and get even MORE picks. The DRAFT is the ONLY way to build a team. Jets have sucked at it for 40 years and accordingly here we are.
    Oh give me a break with this SOJF garbage. Aside from a few bad picks there has been NOTHING wrong with their drafting over the years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspennyfan View Post
    When I look at our team the one thing I do not say is "wow, we're just a TE away."
    So in your opinion, what do the jets need to win the championship this year?

QC looks promising so far and just needs time, dont agree w the underlying premise here. Also, dont see the saints trading graham....

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspennyfan View Post
    Exactly. When you get manhandled by an average, at best, team like the Titans, you are two to three time zones away.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Oh give me a break with this SOJF garbage. Aside from a few bad picks there has been NOTHING wrong with their drafting over the years!

+1...

And nevermind most of the trades Mike T made were good ones..Yes, the Tebow trade was stupid (at the time and after the fact) and most likely cost him his job, and rightfully so...

The good: Revis, Harris, Sanchez, Greene (he did help get to AFCCGs and most likely will bring back a Comp pick), Edwards, Holmes, Cro, Kerley.....The misses: Kevin Barlow, Connor (trade up-A Rex pick)...TBD: Hill
    Last edited by C Mart; 10-06-2013 at 10:24 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post

Problem with the Jets draft, IMO, is not the quality of the picks, it is the quantity of them. We only had 4 picks in '07, 6 picks in '08, 3 picks in '09 and 4 picks in 2010. In a four year span when the average team had 28 picks, the Jets only had 17. I like the 2011 & 2012 drafts and 2013 has the potential to be another strong draft, but the depth on this team today is impacted by the number of picks the Jets had between 2007 & 2010. Not going to kill Mike T because he went all in to try to get to the SB and almost got there. That doesn't change my view that we are paying the price for that strategy right now.
    Last edited by Lithfan; 10-06-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    But what does that have to do with the jets trading Coples and what may very well be a top 12 pick for Graham? Graham is going to want 8+ and your giving up two young cheap players to get him. What if he does not want to play on a rebuilding team with a young QB?

The trade makes no sense.
    I agree with you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Problem with the Jets draft, IMO, is not the quality of the picks, it is the quantity of them. We only had 4 picks in '07, 6 picks in '08, 3 picks in '09 and 4 picks in 2010. In a four year span when the average team had 28 picks, the Jets only had 17. I like the 2011 & 2012 drafts and 2013 has the potential to be another strong draft, but the depth on this team today is impacted by the number of picks the Jets had between 2007 & 2010. Not going to kill Mike T because went all in to try to get to the SB and almost got there. That doesn't change my view that we are paying the price for that strategy right now.
    As history seems to be showing the 2009 Draft has been garbage...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Isn't Graham a free agent this offseason????

Coples has looked good at OLB last 2 weeks just off an injury.
    Saints aren't stupid enough to let him make it to FA....

I hope they are stupid enough to let him reach FA....but even then I don't see Idzy backing the brinks truck up for Jimmy..