Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex Ryan earned a contract extension last night

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex Ryan earned a contract extension last night

His gameplan was perfect. Rex's adjustments to rectify the penalty issues worked out marvelously. Winters played well considering last night was his first game starting. Dare I say better than Vlad would have played? The defense played possessed. The offense played great. The ST's arrived last night. Geno looked like a seasoned pro last night. His play was absolutely immaculate. He had the team completely prepared last night. Every single player that saw action left it out on the field.

I had not seen that kind of performance out of the Jets since 2010.

IMO, last night proved that Rex is the right guy to rebuild this team. The players respond to him as their HC. They hit on all cylinders last night.

As much as I hope John Idzik can add some offensive weapons for Geno to use next season, I also hope he opts to extend Rex Ryan. Rex Ryan is a very good HC and deserves an extension.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woah woah, I like Rex and I am rooting for him, but lets finish the season first.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    His gameplan was perfect. Rex's adjustments to rectify the penalty issues worked out marvelously. Winters played well considering last night was his first game starting. Dare I say better than Vlad would have played? The defense played possessed. The offense played great. The ST's arrived last night. Geno looked like a seasoned pro last night. His play was absolutely immaculate. He had the team completely prepared last night. Every single player that saw action left it out on the field.

IMO, last night proved that Rex is the right guy to rebuild this team. The players respond to him as their HC. They hit on all cylinders last night.

As much as I hope John Idzik can add some offensive weapons for Geno to use next season, I also hope he opts to extend Rex Ryan. Rex Ryan is a very good HC and deserves an extension.
    I appreciate and respect your posts, but I am not all in on this topic. I think the team has a lot of growth in its future; I do feel the HC has not developed over a 4 year period. But - I agree to respect each others opinions at this point in time.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex and Marty are the perfect combo

Rex is very good football coach, still learning to be a HC, but agree he should be extended

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, and he un-earned it vs. the Patriots.

Gimme a break, it's ONE win vs. a 1-win team with injuries all over the place... and we eeked past them.

Perspective, get some.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Rex and Marty are the perfect combo

Rex is very good football coach, still learning to be a HC, but agree he should be extended
    with all respect, when does the growing process end for a man who has been in football (and his family) for an entire life time? Maybe, just maybe he is not a HC, but a damned good DC. But like I said in the post above, opinions are opinions. I think it is a tad too early to be extending contracts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Woah woah, I like Rex and I am rooting for him, but lets finish the season first.
    I don't need to. And IMO it's the wrong message to send having Rex operate under his existing contract. What does he have 2 years left? Or one? Either way that is dead man walking territory and I think it is disrespectful to a guy that deserves more. Rex has done a lot of good for this organization since arriving in 2009 and I think way too many people ignore all the good things he has done.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    LOL, and he un-earned it vs. the Patriots.

Gimme a break, it's ONE win vs. a 1-win team with injuries all over the place... and we eeked past them.

Perspective, get some.
    NO. He RE-EARNED it last night according to your ridiculous logic. You know how you cannot UN-earn something if that event takes place BEFORE he has a GREAT game?

Logic, common sense, get some.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep the carrot in front of his nose. I like rex a lot but if their is any advantage to be gained by making him continue to earn an extension idzik should use it. He has 2 years on his deal still.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has two seasons left on his contract, there is no need to extend his deal until at the very least the end of the season.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO. He RE-EARNED it last night according to your ridiculous logic. You know how you cannot UN-earn something if that event takes place BEFORE he has a GREAT game?

Oy, are you really this stupid?

The chronology doesn't matter - he needs to be evaluated based on his whole body of work. My point was that for the good work he did this week, there's equally bad work he's got to be held accountable for from this season as well. So, rather than saying "earned" and "un-earned" and "re-earned", lets put it in simpler terms that don't get your dumb brains all hung up on semantics... the Pats loss was a -1 and the Falcons win was a +1.

Ideally, he'll have more +1 performances (even if they aren't all losses). I say the Patriots loss was a -1 because he got out-coached, the offense abandoning the run, the absence of punt returns, are a couple of the main gaffs he exhibited in that game that make it a -1 performance in my book.

You know what kind of front office hands out extensions on an emotional whim? One headed by Mike Tannenbaum.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

You chide me about logic when you started a thread advocating giving a head coach an extension for his performance in ONE game, after 2 seasons of complete meltdowns? GFY

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    Keep the carrot in front of his nose. I like rex a lot but if their is any advantage to be gained by making him continue to earn an extension idzik should use it. He has 2 years on his deal still.
    This guy gets it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex should be extended. Getting effort from one of the least talented teams on paper in the NFL.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    Rex should be extended. Getting effort from one of the least talented teams on paper in the NFL.
    Paper clearly has as much authenticity as plastic.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    All in; right here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

But....but....He messed up Tanny's drafts

But....but...he's only a glorified D-Coordinator

But....buuutt......he lost the team in 2011

"I hate Rex Ryan because he's not a dry piece of toast like me "

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on board with Rex, but to say last night earned an extension is being foolhardy.

The next 2 weeks will tell the tale. PIT, and a potentially 4-2 Patriots at home in NY... come out of that 5-2 and then I'll buy the combo.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

How about Marty? Lock this guy up right now...otherwise he is free to walk right after season.. Both should be extended together..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we do this:

Steelers W
    Patriots W (split)
    Bengals L
    Saints L
    Bills W
    Ravens W
    Dolphins L
    Raiders W
    Panthers W
    Browns W
    Dolphins W

Then I say extend him on the spot. I'm assuming here we split with the Pats and Dolphins, and win every game we have vs. below .500 teams and steal another game or two vs. flawed teams like the Ravens and Browns.

Finishing like this can and should put us in the playoffs.

Evaluate Rex on the whole, not on an emotional whim after one win.