Show biz kids making movies
    Of themselves you know they
    Don't give a **** about anybody else
    [lost wages....lost wages...]

Jets Insider VIP
    OBTW - I got the Steely Dan tshirt

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I went last night Beacon Theater for their greatest hits show... in a word outfreakinstanding!

These old effers still sound great and the backing band was excellent.

Commence with the Steely Dan abuse, flame suit on.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4
    Call me Deacon Blues.....

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The opposing views on this thread remind me a bit of similar positions that I have heard about Squeeze (who I loved BTW)
    Squeeze and all the others.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    can you descibe what you don't like.His voice, musics too smooth and polite.I don't know what you listen too usually?
    If "douchiness" had a sound, it would be created by Steely Dan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    If "douchiness" had a sound, it would be created by Steely Dan.

I can see by what you carry that you come from Barrytown

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    +1.

My 2 cents -- I don't mind Steely Dan at all . . as long Jim Hodder or David Palmer are singing lead vocals. I'm willing to concede that this probably means that I do not really like Steely Dan.
    That would be correct. However, Can't Buy a Thrill (the only album on which those cats sing) is, like every other Becker-Fagen-Katz-Nichols offering, a songwriting clinic and sonic masterpiece.

All League
    In my youthier, smouthier days I recall my imp of the perverse initiatiating the infamous Steely Dan-Pink Floyd Band-Off of 2011. The Floyd contingent came on dark and angry that day, like an old man who'd just watched a Game of Thrones episode sending back soup at a deli. It was looking bleak for the Dan until damn-the-torpedoes PK weighed in. Then Kevin mentioned his 8-track, and the battle was joined.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...-vs-Steely-Dan
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 10-09-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Also this thread has me playing my Steely Dan playlist, so I'll be posting lyrics all day
    I have an iTunes SD playlist; I use my rig as the computer soundcard...easy to play along with all those great tunes. Bad Sneakers little solo; Bodhisattva...I really ike Only a Fool Would Say That and The Fez...the melody turns out to be based on the diminished scale; at least under my fingers it is.

Borgo could be a real tool LOL

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    In my youthier, smouthier days I recall my imp of the perverse initiatiating the infamous Steely Dan-Pink Floyd Band-Off of 2011. The Floyd contingent came on dark and angry that day, like an old man who'd just watched a Game of Thrones episode sending back soup at a deli. It was looking bleak for the Dan until damn-the-torpedoes PK weighed in.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...-vs-Steely-Dan
    lol I <3 this thread...

oh noes

Quote Originally Posted by shakin
    Yes, I know Steely Dan ain't the Monkees, or even the Beatles, but it's definitely one of the first 8-tracks I reach for when I want music that makes me feel good.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 10-09-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    for all you non haters

http://pastdaily.com/2013/09/28/stee...stage-weekend/

excellent live show from the early days

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I have an iTunes SD playlist; I use my rig as the computer soundcard...easy to play along with all those great tunes. Bad Sneakers little solo; Bodhisattva...I really ike Only a Fool Would Say That and The Fez...the melody turns out to be based on the diminished scale; at least under my fingers it is.

Borgo could be a real tool LOL
    My take on Borgo's virulent dislike of Steely Dan...I always suspected that it had its roots in sheer competitiveness. Like somewhere deep in his psyche he recognized their musicianship as existing on a whole other plane than his. And he secretly resented the hell out of them for that. I don't hold that against him. We're all of us ****ed up in our own way. I just thought it was funny.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

My take on Borgo's virulent dislike of Steely Dan...I always suspected that it had its roots in sheer competitiveness. Like somewhere deep in his psyche he recognized their musicianship as existing on a whole other plane than his. And he secretly resented the hell out of them for that. I don't hold that against him. We're all of us ****ed up in our own way. I just thought it was funny.
    It could be that. Or it could have been because he actually had good taste in music.

One or the other.

All League
    It could be that. Or it could have been because he actually had good taste in music.

One or the other.
    You're allowed to dislike them for your own reasons. I didn't mean disliking Steely Dan means your taste in music is suspect. Just for Borgo, given all else we knew about him, and how much he seemed to hate them, it seemed odd.

You don' like Steely Dan. Noted. How many times do you need to say it?
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 10-09-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You're allowed to dislike them for your own reasons. I didn't mean disliking Steely Dan means your taste in music is suspect. Just for Borgo, given all else we knew about him, and how much he seemed to hate them, it seemed odd.

You don' like Steely Dan. Noted. How many times do you need to say it?

1. I'm defending someone who is not here to defend himself.
    2. It's not at all odd. Steely Dan is HORRIBLE. And I'll be more blunt. If you like them, YOU'RE taste is suspect. It hurts my soul to know that some people think otherwise.
    3. I'll express this natural fact as often and as many ways as it pleases me.

All League
    2. It's not at all odd. Steely Dan is HORRIBLE. And I'll be more blunt. If you like them, YOU'RE taste is suspect. It hurts my soul to know that some people think otherwise.
    OK sure. You wife's a lucky woman. Don't let her near butter knives.

It is definitely odd for a musician like BG not to be able to appreciate the cool harmonic, melodic and rhythmic things going on in your typical Steely Dan song (for eg, Doctor Wu). Maybe, if all one heard was "Reeling in the Years", "Rikki", and "Do it Again", those soundtracks to the supermarket aisles could form a negative impression of the band, but those are some of the worst songs in the Steely Dan catalogue, and were written before the "band" really found their identity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hit Stick View Post
    It is definitely odd for a musician like BG not to be able to appreciate the cool harmonic, melodic and rhythmic things going on in your typical Steely Dan song (for eg, Doctor Wu). Maybe, if all one heard was "Reeling in the Years", "Rikki", and "Do it Again", those soundtracks to the supermarket aisles could form a negative impression of the band, but those are some of the worst songs in the Steely Dan catalogue, and were written before the "band" really found their identity.
    The musicianship is off the charts good. I don't think anyone can seriously dispute that. The problem in my case is the listenability of the vocals. Fagen's vocals, that is.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Excellent fishing technique

Lol

Borgo come out come out wherever you are

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Excellent fishing technique

Lol

Borgo come out come out wherever you are

You need to fish with bait....that means a scantily clad Asian.