Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets: # 2 Defense, # 14 Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Ah so it's okay and expected to cough up a 13 point lead, I get it. This is why the Jets are a good not great defense. Consistently the last two years they have failed to hold leads. We don't get enough turnovers as well. The Jets D has the potential to be the best in the league but by no means are they there yet.
    +1 I agree. They are playing well, but they have miles more talent than what they have shown. They should be forcing more turnovers. They are good enough to do it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Where does the Jets D rank with holding the lead with 2 minutes to go in the game?

So far this year their success rate is 1 of 3.
    Tainted with a phantom holding call..but keep it up negative nancy.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You're a clown.
    Actually you are the biggest fool here...NOw that sar is gone we can call your cmartjr. You are allowed to have your own identity and opinions. Your need of approval from certain posters is comical. EAD.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Lol, do you not watch other NFL games? This isn't 1984 when a 13 point 4th quarter lead was insurmountable.

Seattle, the best defense in the league and favorite to win the NFC, blew a 4th quarter lead last week to the Colts as well.

The Broncos, the favorite to win the AFC, blew a 4th quarter lead last week to the Cowboys.
    THank you.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I don't think anyone is disappointed with the defense, they are just disappointed with various facets of the defense. For me it's not forcing turnovers. This team could easily be 4-1 if they were better at rattling the QB and forcing him into mistakes. They are also penalty prone at times. They also go through periods where poor tackling becomes an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the defense. How could you not be? I just think they are capable of playing better. I just hope we see it as the season goes on.
    Fair post.

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Tainted with a phantom holding call..but keep it up negative nancy.
    LOL. All I did was ask a question and present a fact.

Signed
    Nancy.

You're a clown.
    Been called worse. LOL.

So, going forward I think we need to find a beast free safety and a monster sack artist OLB. If our line continually gets pressure on the QB they won't have time to go deep very often. If Walls pans out and Milliner improves, you could cut Cro and pick up someone like Byrd for 8mil( not saying Byrd though, that Lisfranc worries me). Then draft the best OLB available. Or draft the best safety and sign a beast OLB, but that will cost 10mil+.

Veteran
    I don't think anyone is disappointed with the defense, they are just disappointed with various facets of the defense. For me it's not forcing turnovers. This team could easily be 4-1 if they were better at rattling the QB and forcing him into mistakes. They are also penalty prone at times. They also go through periods where poor tackling becomes an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the defense. How could you not be? I just think they are capable of playing better. I just hope we see it as the season goes on.
    Sure they're capable of playing better as a defense. The secondary is still somewhat suspect, and our DBs can't seem to catch interceptions even when thrown right to them for a pick 6. However, they are still young, still jelling as a unit, and doing a great job of forcing a lot of 3rd and longs that put the opposing O in a bad spot.

All League
    points allowed is how you rank a defense

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    You have to look at yards too. Points allowed are also a function of the offense and special teams. When you have a rookie qb consistently turning the ball over it doesn't help.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    LOL. All I did was ask a question and present a fact.

Signed
    Nancy.
    Fact is Jets have #2 rated defense despite having 7 new players starting and playing two of the top offenses in the game.
    Fact is the NFL is catered to the offense and in the 2 minute drill it becomes even more difficult to stop these teams with top qbs / offenses.
    Fact you have an agenda.
    FACT - DDNY is your minime

Veteran
    Not true that can be tainted by the offense and special teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    You have to look at yards too. Points allowed are also a function of the offense and special teams. When you have a rookie qb consistently turning the ball over it doesn't help.
    We had this discussion last season and I said the best measure to rank defenses is to use yards allowed, points allowed and turn overs forced. Take the ranking for each and average them out. Thats the best measure IMO to rank a defense, other than wins and losses of course.

Veteran
    +1 I agree. They are playing well, but they have miles more talent than what they have shown. They should be forcing more turnovers. They are good enough to do it.
    unfortunately, i can't remember the last time this defense was good at turning the ball over.

Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Sure they're capable of playing better as a defense. The secondary is still somewhat suspect, and our DBs can't seem to catch interceptions even when thrown right to them for a pick 6. However, they are still young, still jelling as a unit, and doing a great job of forcing a lot of 3rd and longs that put the opposing O in a bad spot.
    Agreed

Veteran
    You're a clown.
    Why is he a clown? Its been a big problem with our Defense for 5 years now. The Offense has won many more games for us than the Defense has in the years under Rex. Thats including when Sanchez was starting. Our D rarely closes out games. The d is much more likely to give up a game winning drive than make a game winning stop.

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    unfortunately, i can't remember the last time this defense was good at turning the ball over.
    That's exactly my point. How many times over the Rex Ryan era have we been satisfied with how many turnovers they force? Is there is any knock on Rex Ryan the defensive mastermind, it is that his defenses do not force turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    Hah, nothing is ever good enough. They could be number 1 but people will still find something to ***** about.

You people on your quest to win every game 50-0 have to realize that will never happen in the real world. Things are not going to be perfect, no matter how much you strive for them to be.

TRUE. The Jets defense is ranked 14th before last Mondays results. Does that give you the warm and fuzzies about our defense?