Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets: # 2 Defense, # 14 Offense

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    And your need to be a tough guy on the internet is even more comical.
    Me calling you out for what you are is being an internet tough guy? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Where does the Jets D rank with holding the lead with 2 minutes to go in the game?

So far this year their success rate is 1 of 3.
    And in the 2 where they failed to hold the lead, the opposing D did as well. It's the rules, not the D. Any decent QB has a great shot at scoring with under 4 minutes left in today's NFL--- 4 downs to get 10 yards against a 2 deep zone?... child's play. The clock is the enemy, not the D.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Instead of calling you a SOJF loser like I normally do, for once I'm going to try to get into your head and figure out what makes you say some of this stuff. What makes you think that the jets have a lack of talent on offense? Can you honestly say that after what we did to Atlanta two nights ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Oh my god, if you even need to argue that point then it is obvious that YOU are a SOJF..... A sold out Jets fans that is...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    And in the 2 where they failed to hold the lead, the opposing D did as well. It's the rules, not the D. Any decent QB has a great shot at scoring with under 4 minutes left in today's NFL--- 4 downs to get 10 yards against a 2 deep zone?... child's play. The clock is the enemy, not the D.
    Fair enough. But then at what point do we stop calling this defense elite and Rex an elite defensive coach. If everyone is the same and giving up points bc of the rules then nobody is elite.

Cant have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Guys like me? Really? I make an observation about how our defenders could maybe change their strip move and you come up with that? LOL at you.
    So its 3rd and ten, Heath Miller catches a 5 yard pass and Davis goes for the strip and misses which allows Miller to break the tackle and get a first down on the way to a TD Drive, you would be cool with that?

So yeah, i think someone that questions the way the coaches teach players to "create turnovers" would likely complain about the missed tackle. We could have easily had 4/5 turn overs last week with a little luck against Matt Ryan. Many times turnovers are a result of luck. You force a fumble and the ball bounces towards a defender or offensive player and not a product of a lack of coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    Rex cannot catch the ball for guys when it hits them in the hands. He can't recover fumbles for them either.
    Exactly, but he should be coaching about stripping the ball when sacking the QB, jumping routes when the defender knows they have Safety help over the top and a lead to play with. And I do see players doing that. Cro does. Wilk successfully stripped Ryan two nights ago. But the players on a whole do not look like they are coached to do that. This being Rex's fifth season in NY, our turnover totals have to be rather disappointing, especially when you consider how dominant those defenses have been during the same time span.

Fair enough. But then at what point do we stop calling this defense elite and Rex an elite defensive coach. If everyone is the same and giving up points bc of the rules then nobody is elite.

Cant have it both ways.
    LOL, its elite based on the stats. Have you not watched every RB get stoned by the jets defense?

What he is saying, is that its tough for ALL teams to stop a guy like matt Ryan from driving the length of the field when given 4 downs. Again, the Seahawks and the Broncos gave up 4th qtr leads this week. Do you now think any less of the Seahawks defense? maybe you would prefer the Jaguars or Giants units.

Cant have it both ways.
    I did not call them "elite". IMO there is no such thing anymore. Frisco and Seattle had the consensus best D's coming into the season and they've had a very difficult time (Frisco in most of their games and Seattle in some) keeping opposing O's out of the end zone. In my view, the most you can hope for is a D that suffocates bad teams and keeps games against quality opponents close enough that your O can win it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    LOL, its elite based on the stats. Have you not watched every RB get stoned by the jets defense?

What he is saying, is that its tough for ALL teams to stop a guy like matt Ryan from driving the length of the field when given 4 downs. Again, the Seahawks and the Broncos gave up 4th qtr leads this week. Do you now think any less of the Seahawks defense? maybe you would prefer the Jaguars or Giants units.
    We are stout against the run in a passing league. Forgive me for not jizzing all over myself bc of our #1 run D.

What I would prefer is a defense with a conventional pass rush that is opportunistic. And I would like to be able to hold a 2 score lead in the 4th. I don't care if we rack up stats for the first 50 or 55 minutes bc when we spit the bit in the last 5 minutes none of that matters.

Hall Of Fame

Thats why your point that all the Jets need is an average offense to be a playoff team every year is false. If even the best defenses give up 4th quarter leads and points, then you need to have an offense that can score and score quickly. So in reality it more important to have an above average offense than it is to have an above average defense. Average offenses can not be relied upon to make game winning drives in the 4th quarter on a regular basis. Look at how the Jets offense had to play on Monday night to win that game. They had to play near perfect football, and then still had to rely on a last second FG to win the game. If the offense played average they lose that game.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Not true that can be tainted by the offense and special teams.
    Very true. After that has been considered, points allowed is all that matters.

So its 3rd and ten, Heath Miller catches a 5 yard pass and Davis goes for the strip and misses which allows Miller to break the tackle and get a first down on the way to a TD Drive, you would be cool with that?

So yeah, i think someone that questions the way the coaches teach players to "create turnovers" would likely complain about the missed tackle. We could have easily had 4/5 turn overs last week with a little luck against Matt Ryan. Many times turnovers are a result of luck. You force a fumble and the ball bounces towards a defender or offensive player and not a product of a lack of coaching.
    I don't even know if the coaches are focusing the players on stripping the football when they go to make a tackle, and neither do you. I do know the Bears do, it was talked about on one of the pregame shows a few weeks ago. You can still wrap a guy up if you go for the strip. You can go for the strip with an underhand punch or an overhand chop and still grab the guy around the waist. Focusing on the ball at the expense of a tackle is just poor execution/coaching. So yeah, if a guy did one of those lame slap at the ball and disregard the tackle, I would complain. So would everyone else on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats why your point that all the Jets need is an average offense to be a playoff team every year is false. If even the best defenses give up 4th quarter leads and points, then you need to have an offense that score and score quickly. So in reality it more important to have an above average offense than it is to have an above average defense. Average offenses can not be relied upon to make game winning drives in the 4th quarter on a regular basis. Look at how the Jets offense had to play on Monday night to win that game. They had to play near perfect football, and then still had to rely on a last second FG to win the game. If the offense played average they lose that game.
    And BB figured this out years ago.
    Last edited by SONNY WERBLIN; 10-09-2013 at 01:56 PM.

All Pro
    Defense is a dying breed in the NFL. Our D does give up more points than a great D years ago would, but the rules are so slanted towards the offense now I wonder if we'll ever see great defenses like that again. The league wants more points scored - it sells to the casual fans of which there are many more of than the die-hards.

I don't think there's a question that watching our defense compared to much of the league that we're a very good defense this year.
    Exactly.....our defense I think is elite in 2013 factoring in all of the rule changes slanted towards the offense.

meh - overzealous refs throwing phantom holding penalties is part of the slant towards offense. They stopped the Falcons IMO.
    AND the Pasts*

Total BS. But Geno stepped up and played like a man!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    And BB figured this out years ago.
    No BB got TB..

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    No BB got TB..
    Exactly. It's disgusting how many people think Belichick is some great coach. Good yes, but many others are good as well.

You give Andy Reid or Fisher Tom Brady and they are winning more super bowls over a 10+ year period.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Exactly. It's disgusting how many people think Belichick is some great coach. Good yes, but many others are good as well.

You give Andy Reid or Fisher Tom Brady and they are winning more super bowls over a 10+ year period.
    I wouldn't go that far I do think brady fits bellicheats system perfectly, but you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats why your point that all the Jets need is an average offense to be a playoff team every year is false. If even the best defenses give up 4th quarter leads and points, then you need to have an offense that can score and score quickly. So in reality it more important to have an above average offense than it is to have an above average defense. Average offenses can not be relied upon to make game winning drives in the 4th quarter on a regular basis. Look at how the Jets offense had to play on Monday night to win that game. They had to play near perfect football, and then still had to rely on a last second FG to win the game. If the offense played average they lose that game.
    How about this angle, we are 3-2 despite having a QB with far more turnovers than TDs. If we had an average defense we would be 0-5 or 1-4 right now. Defense can keep you in games when your offense faulters.

I do agree, that its better to have a great offense lead by Peyton Manning than a great defense lead by Mo Wilk. But that isn't breaking news. Franchise QBs win super bowls is also not a novel idea.

But until you find a franchise QB, you need to find ways to win and I contend that if our offense is average and our defense is 1 or 2, there is no reason why we can't make the playoffs this year. Personally, I don't think Flacco/Elli are that great, but they had good runs with excellent defenses. Since 2005 the Patriots haven't won a super bowl despite having one of the greatest QBs of all time and arguably, the best QB of All time, peyton has only 1 super bowl in his career. Both of those facts are due to the teams inability to play quality defense.

If you go by points we are about average.