Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets: # 2 Defense, # 14 Offense

Veteran

Jets: # 2 Defense, # 14 Offense

With 7 new starters on defense and a rookie QB leading the offense, I couldn't be happier with where we stand right now. The future is looking bright.

Rookie
    Well actually now the pressure is on. I know I've thought it a million times and I've heard it said here over and over too. If we only had an average offense we'd be a perennial playoff team. Well, here we are. Go Jets!

Veteran
    Some clowns here are actually disappointed with our defense.

Veteran
    we have a good defense, i think they give up too many points though.

Defense is a dying breed in the NFL. Our D does give up more points than a great D years ago would, but the rules are so slanted towards the offense now I wonder if we'll ever see great defenses like that again. The league wants more points scored - it sells to the casual fans of which there are many more of than the die-hards.

I don't think there's a question that watching our defense compared to much of the league that we're a very good defense this year.
    Last edited by nyjfollower; 10-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Where does the Jets D rank with holding the lead with 2 minutes to go in the game?

So far this year their success rate is 1 of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Where does the Jets D rank with holding the lead with 2 minutes to go in the game?

meh - overzealous refs throwing phantom holding penalties is part of the slant towards offense. They stopped the Falcons IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    we have a good defense, i think they give up too many points though.
    In todays passy happy NFL where all the rules are slated towards the offense, you're never going to see another defense like the '85 Bears, '76 Steelers, or '00 Ravens.

It's just the way it is.

I couldn't ask for much more from our front seven.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I would sign up for that at the end of season in a heartbeat

I was saying all pre-season long that if our offense can be middle of the pack (ranked 15 or so), we will make the playoffs. Of course, at that time the notion of our offense being ranked 14th was comical to most (including myself). If we keep it up on offense, we will be very hard to beat.

Jets Insider VIP

Fair point. 2 of the 3 wins (Tampa, Atlanta) were victories snatched from the jaws of defeat by Geno and Nick Folk.

Lol, do you not watch other NFL games? This isn't 1984 when a 13 point 4th quarter lead was insurmountable.

Seattle, the best defense in the league and favorite to win the NFC, blew a 4th quarter lead last week to the Colts as well.

The Broncos, the favorite to win the AFC, blew a 4th quarter lead last week to the Cowboys.

some good points in the thread. i was looking at the stats and was going to post the same thing. these rankings are actually consistent and the titans game is the real aberration so far. the one detracting stat is turnover ratio.

if they stay the same and we improve on turnovers - and we beat a couple very good teams on the schedule - this team will go down to the wire for the division and wildcard.

Nothing is guaranteed this year. Nothing is out of the picture.

We have the best run D in the NFL. 1st in yards per carry allowed (3.0), and 2nd in rushing yards per game allowed (Denver is 1st because they play from ahead so much)

Hall Of Fame

You're a clown.

Practice Squad
    #2...really? wow. That's pretty awesome.

If we start winning turn over battles we will be #1.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Lol, do you not watch other NFL games? This isn't 1984 when a 13 point 4th quarter lead was insurmountable.

Seattle, the best defense in the league and favorite to win the NFC, blew a 4th quarter lead last week to the Colts as well.

The Broncos, the favorite to win the AFC, blew a 4th quarter lead last week to the Cowboys.
    True, but if we follow that logic and concede that even the best defenses give up leads and give up points in the 4th quarter, then how would having just an average offense be adequate to make the playoffs every year, and advance deep in those playoffs?

Seems to me that having an above offense is more important than having an above average defense. If you have a top 5 defense and are still giving up 4th quarter leads, then it is pretty obvious you better have an offense that score a lot and score quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Well actually now the pressure is on. I know I've thought it a million times and I've heard it said here over and over too. If we only had an average offense we'd be a perennial playoff team. Well, here we are. Go Jets!
    It's scary how quickly things can change, ugh? Last year we all thought this team was a mess and it would be a long road back to contention. Well, only 5 games into the following season and they just may be on their way to the playoffs?

I don't see this team as a playoff team. With the lack in talent that they have on offense, I would only believe they would make the playoffs when I saw them do it. But just the same it is impossible to simply ignore how well they have played thus far. I figured 5 games into this season they would be 1-4 or even 0-5.

This is very encouraging and I couldn't he happier.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

Ah so it's okay and expected to cough up a 13 point lead, I get it. This is why the Jets are a good not great defense. Consistently the last two years they have failed to hold leads. We don't get enough turnovers as well. The Jets D has the potential to be the best in the league but by no means are they there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Some clowns here are actually disappointed with our defense.
    I don't think anyone is disappointed with the defense, they are just disappointed with various facets of the defense. For me it's not forcing turnovers. This team could easily be 4-1 if they were better at rattling the QB and forcing him into mistakes. They are also penalty prone at times. They also go through periods where poor tackling becomes an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the defense. How could you not be? I just think they are capable of playing better. I just hope we see it as the season goes on.