Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 90

Thread: First Five Games (Smith vs. Sanchez)

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,624

    First Five Games (Smith vs. Sanchez)

    Decided to look at their first five games:


    Sanchez

    The team had a 3-2 record, they won their first 3 then lost their last 2

    Comp: 75
    Att: 134
    Yds: 916
    %: 56
    TD: 5
    INT: 5


    Smith

    Record is 3-2 also

    Comp: 94
    Att: 156
    Yds: 1289
    %: 60
    TD: 7
    INT: 8

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Big Green Apple
    Posts
    1,217
    obviously a small sample but no question i'd take smith's numbers even with the interceptions over sanchez's.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,887
    Eye test through first 5 games tells me Geno is the better prospect of the 2....

    Geno has turned the ball over more in the first 5 games (Sanchez became a turnover machine after the 5int game in Buff) but he's made some throws that Sanchez can't make in his dreams (and I'm factoring in that Sanchez had a better arm as a rookie, I'm in the camp that thinks he suffered a shoulder injury a couple of seasons ago and has since affected his throwing strength/velocity)

    You put Geno in the draft with Sanchez in 2009 and I trade up to get Geno....not Sanchez...

  4. #4
    Eh not much to take from just the numbers. Who knows how it would've looked if Sanchez had MM.

    But I agree, the eye test tells me more then enough. Sanchez's mistakes were much worse then what Geno has done (aside from that around the back fumble).

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Eye test through first 5 games tells me Geno is the better prospect of the 2....

    Geno has turned the ball over more in the first 5 games (Sanchez became a turnover machine after the 5int game in Buff) but he's made some throws that Sanchez can't make in his dreams (and I'm factoring in that Sanchez had a better arm as a rookie, I'm in the camp that thinks he suffered a shoulder injury a couple of seasons ago and has since affected his throwing strength/velocity)

    You put Geno in the draft with Sanchez in 2009 and I trade up to get Geno....not Sanchez...
    Geno's arm is better than Sanchez's at any point in time. Geno has just about elite strength. Sanchez had a good arm but it was questioned coming out of school and many thought he would struggle mightily in the winter at the Meadowlands, turns out he just struggled all the time...everywhere.

  6. #6
    KRL- appreciate your contributions to the board, but why are we still bringing up someone who will never suit up for us again?

    I was a big supporter of Sanchez and hated the Geno pick, but afterthe injury, supporting Geno was my only recourse; even if begrudgedly. After Monday night, I'm officially excited about Geno. Let's keep Sanchez in the past with a lot of great memories and numerous heartbreaks.
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 10-09-2013 at 01:55 PM.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    obviously a small sample but no question i'd take smith's numbers even with the interceptions over sanchez's.
    The Sanchez stalwarts will not be able to play this game after next week as Sanchez threw 5 interceptions in week six.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Winters and Howard each look very good in all of these clips.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,499
    A few major aspects that Geno has over Mark that make me hink he'll be better.

    His ability to escape the pocket and get positive yards and steal first downs.

    His head- the guy is smart, very cerebral and knows situational football

    Accuracy

    Arm strength

  11. #11
    Would have loved to see Geno with the supporting cast Sanchez had that 2009 season too.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    A few major aspects that Geno has over Mark that make me hink he'll be better.

    His ability to escape the pocket and get positive yards and steal first downs.

    His head- the guy is smart, very cerebral and knows situational football

    Accuracy

    Arm strength
    Not to pile on, but also:

    Touch (on Winslow pass)
    Footspeed
    Ability to slide or avoid the hit by going out of bounds (Sanchez seems to go headfirst all too often)
    Calmness
    Balls (the testicular kind)

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    A few major aspects that Geno has over Mark that make me hink he'll be better.

    His ability to escape the pocket and get positive yards and steal first downs.

    His head- the guy is smart, very cerebral and knows situational football

    Accuracy

    Arm strength
    His body language... LOL, joking aside, I'm serious. Geno is more like Flacco, unflappable. Sanchez from day one was and has always emotionally expressive of everything that went against him, flailing his arms, pouting his lips, he never acted bigger than his mistakes or the twists and turns of the game.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Winters and Howard each look very good in all of these clips.
    Agreed. A few moments where their guy would start to get a little leverage, but they eventually fought them off.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,624
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    KRL- appreciate your contributions to the board, but why are we still bringing up someone who will never suit up for us again?

    I was a big supporter of Sanchez and hated the Geno pick, but afterthe injury, supporting Geno was my only recourse; even if begrudgedly. After Monday night, I'm officially excited about Geno. Let's keep Sanchez in the past with a lot of great memories and numerous heartbreaks.
    Noted, here's something more relevant. The stats between Russell Wilson and Smith in their first 5 games:


    Wilson

    SEA also had a 3-2 record

    Comp: 79
    Att: 125
    Yds: 815
    %: 63
    TD: 5
    INT: 6


    Smith

    Comp: 94
    Att: 156
    Yds: 1289
    %: 60
    TD: 7
    INT: 8

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    A few major aspects that Geno has over Mark that make me hink he'll be better.

    His ability to escape the pocket and get positive yards and steal first downs.

    His head- the guy is smart, very cerebral and knows situational football

    Accuracy

    Arm strength
    I think of the ball he floated to Winslow in the back of the endzone. Sanchez never showed that kind of touch.

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,398
    Pretty even but also to early to tell. Everyone loved Sanchez then. To be honest I dont get what people see in Geno that makes them think he is such a better proslect. Time will tell. Its also hard to compare because we have two totally different offenses here.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Noted, here's something more relevant. The stats between Russell Wilson and Smith in their first 5 games:


    Wilson

    SEA also had a 3-2 record

    Comp: 79
    Att: 125
    Yds: 815
    %: 63
    TD: 5
    INT: 6


    Smith

    Comp: 94
    Att: 156
    Yds: 1289
    %: 60
    TD: 7
    INT: 8
    Lots of safe and easy throws for Wilson and less attempts.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,887
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Noted, here's something more relevant. The stats between Russell Wilson and Smith in their first 5 games:


    Wilson

    SEA also had a 3-2 record

    Comp: 79
    Att: 125
    Yds: 815
    %: 63
    TD: 5
    INT: 6


    Smith

    Comp: 94
    Att: 156
    Yds: 1289
    %: 60
    TD: 7
    INT: 8
    Geno plays in a much more open system than Wilson did his first 5 games keep that in mind.....

  20. #20
    The real test comes after teams have a significant amount of film on you and start to exploit any weaknesses they are able to identify.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us