Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Five Games (Smith vs. Sanchez)

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    KRL- appreciate your contributions to the board, but why are we still bringing up someone who will never suit up for us again?

I was a big supporter of Sanchez and hated the Geno pick, but afterthe injury, supporting Geno was my only recourse; even if begrudgedly. After Monday night, I'm officially excited about Geno. Let's keep Sanchez in the past with a lot of great memories and numerous heartbreaks.
    I can't for the life of me understand this line of thinking. You have a starting QB who is complete garbage game after game for years and you are a big "supporter" of him and hated drafting a QB? What I would do to get into the brain of these "jets fans" to understand this line of thinking. How could they possibly watch this guy stink so bad and want him to continue to bring the team you are supposedly a fan of down? The only logic I can think of is they are casual "fans" who don't really care about winning but get some weird emotional bond with the player who they saw carried to the playoffs in his first 2 years.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    This comparison gets really really bad for Sanchez after the next game because he threw 5 interceptions and became saddled with the red/green/yellow armband.

I would like a Sanchez supporter to point out what Sanchez is better than Geno at. Maybe drop-back footwork? (though Geno's is improving). People would have said knowledge of the playbook, but clearly with the ridiculous number of formations and plays from Monday that would not be true either. To me Geno:

is more accurate, especially short and deep
    has more touch
    has a much bigger arm
    throws a much better deep ball
    is much more elusive
    can make plays with his legs
    calmer in the pocket
    more resilient
    MUCH MUCH more dynamic
    Can put the team on his back and win games

So please tell me in what area Sanchez is or has ever been a better product. He played on the best college team in the nation with the best weapons in a pro offense. And was seriously seriously overrated coming out because of it
    I still await their response but i'll be objectionable and answer for them.....

go look at Mark in 09...his footwork was great...prob better than Geno's at this point....but that's as far as it goes.....Geno's arm is better and is more athletic.....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I can't for the life of me understand this line of thinking. You have a starting QB who is complete garbage game after game for years and you are a big "supporter" of him and hated drafting a QB? What I would do to get into the brain of these "jets fans" to understand this line of thinking. How could they possibly watch this guy stink so bad and want him to continue to bring the team you are supposedly a fan of down? The only logic I can think of is they are casual "fans" who don't really care about winning but get some weird emotional bond with the player who they saw carried to the playoffs in his first 2 years.
    Keep in mind that there are a substantial number of people who still think that Tebow should be starting in the NFL. It is all about emotion, not logic, even when you basically have to ignore what you have been looking at over the past couple of years.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I think of the ball he floated to Winslow in the back of the endzone. Sanchez never showed that kind of touch.
    It may be easy (and fashionable) to forget but he absolutely did have that kind of touch once.

Look at the TD to Holmes at 0:18 in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfWDQxQkvqE

The long pass to Edwards right before that (first play on this clip) was a long and pretty pass just like the ones we are praising Geno for now.

There was a time when we were very excited about Sanchez and rightly so. Just because it didn't work out is no reason to rewrite history completely.
    Last edited by nycdan; 10-09-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    It may be easy (and fashionable) to forget but he absolutely did have that kind of touch once.

The long pass to Edwards right before that (first play on this clip) was a long and pretty pass just like the ones we are praising Geno for now.

There was a time when we were very excited about Sanchez and rightly so. Just because it didn't work out is no reason to rewrite history completely.
    I think everyone would agree that was Sanchez best game ever. But he never repeated that really. It was a great pass to Santonio, but Geno's is probably better. No one ever actually backs up their Sanchez arguments all we ever get are links to the Houston game and declarations about how he "led" us to 2 Championship games.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I think everyone would agree that was Sanchez best game ever. But he never repeated that really. It was a great pass to Santonio, but Geno's is probably better. No one ever actually backs up their Sanchez arguments all we ever get are links to the Houston game and declarations about how he "led" us to 2 Championship games.
    So we also won't count the playoff win over the Patriots (3 TDs) or the regular season win over the Pats just before that (3 TDs). I recall some incredible scrambling to set up throws against the Browns.

I'm not trying to defend his entire body of work, but to write him off as having never had a good game (or then saying he never had more than one good game) isn't really accurate. He didn't have any after the first BUF game last season (3 TDs). That much I'll agree with.

Although their numbers are the same, when you consider that Gino was asked to do more, I think you got to give him the edge.
    Also, Jets had a lot more proven talent on offense back then.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    Although their numbers are the same, when you consider that Gino was asked to do more, I think you got to give him the edge.
    Also, Jets had a lot more proven talent on offense back then.
    Agreed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Geno has had more responsibility on offense and has played better than Sanchez.

As to the Wilson comparisons, as noted the Seahawks hide him with limited passes, but he is a better runner than Geno. Wilson has also not played well this year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    obviously a small sample but no question i'd take smith's numbers even with the interceptions over sanchez's.
    Geno also has 22 more attempts than Sanchez, so that has to factor into total yards and completion percentage you can probably prorate the TD's and INT's as well.

Geno is practically better at everything other than footwork (and familiarity with a "pro offense"). I think their arm strength were actually pretty similar but Sanchez's went down after his injury. But Smith makes better use of his arm strength from the start because he's more accurate.

As mentioned in another thread, Geno has identical stats to Andrew Luck through 5 games as well from last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Difference in completion percentage and total yds kind of jumps out at you, Geno in my opinion is more poised and has a better arm and more confidence then Sanchez did as a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Noted, here's something more relevant. The stats between Russell Wilson and Smith in their first 5 games:

Wilson

SEA also had a 3-2 record

Comp: 79
    Att: 125
    Yds: 815
    %: 63
    TD: 5
    INT: 6

Smith

Comp: 94
    Att: 156
    Yds: 1289
    %: 60
    TD: 7
    INT: 8
    Wilson: 6.5 YPA
    Geno: 8.2

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post

Memories are very short here

Did Mark Sanchez ever complete 80% of his throws in a game like Geno did Monday night? Geno has also proven that he can throw the ball downfield with accuracy more consistently than Sanchez has.

I don't care about the stats. They are 2 different QB's playing for 2 different teams. If you insist on a statistical comparison, it is worthy to note that Sanchez was given the keys to an offense that was ready to roll, while Smith was name QB of a team that was widely viewed to have no playmakers and holes on the O'line.

What do you eyes tell you?

Mobility - Smith
    Pocket Awareness - push
    Arm Strength - Smith
    Accuracy - Smith

The only other real factors relate to leadership and ability to read D's, which are difficult to evaluate after only 5 games. However, I must say that I'm buying into Geno as a leader. The guy is Cool Hand Luke. He is NEVER rattled. I think that kind of thing rubs off on everyone around him. On Monday night at the start of the final drive, the offense was huddled up waiting for Geno and I was struck by how slow and deliberately he walked to the huddle. No rush. No panic. I felt at that moment, Geno projected to the entire offense that "we got this". The kid has ice water running through his veins. It is a gift. No amount of film study or training will develop it. Either you have it, or you don't.

@DWAZ73Steelers' Mike Tomlin on seeing Geno at WV: "He struck me as a guy who was very even-keeled emotionally, somewhat of a flatliner." #Jets

@DWAZ73RT @AP_NFL: Geno Smith unflappable so far as #Jets' starting QB apne.ws/19mGXov (@DWAZ73) #NFL

@DWAZ73Mo Wilkerson on Geno: "I can't do nothing but praise the guy. I'm at a loss for words." #Jets
    Last edited by McGinley; 10-10-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I don't care about the stats. They are 2 different QB's playing for 2 different teams. If you insist on a statistical comparison, it is worthy to note that Sanchez was given the keys to an offense that was ready to roll, while Smith was name QB of a team that was widely viewed to have no playmakers and holes on the O'line.

What do you eyes tell you?

Mobility - Smith
    Pocket Awareness - push
    Arm Strength - Smith
    Accuracy - Smith

The only other real factors relate to leadership and ability to read D's, which are difficult to evaluate after only 5 games. However, I must say that I'm buying into Geno as a leader. The guy is Cool Hand Luke. He is NEVER rattled. I think that kind of thing rubs off on everyone around him. On Monday night at the start of the final drive, the offense was huddled up waiting for Geno and I was struck by how slow and deliberately he walked to the huddle. No rush. No panic. I felt at that moment, Geno projected to the entire offense that "we got this". The kid has ice water running through his veins. It is a gift. No amount of film study or training will develop it. Either you have it, or you don't.
    Sort of like the final drive Montana had in the Bowl against the Bengals?? He gets the team huddled up and says: Hey look there's John Candy in the stands..

Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    You are out of your f*cking mind.
    I know, how can anyone say Sanchez was the better prospect? Geno was a multiple year starter in college. People talk of the games he lost last year, but neglect to say he put up around 40 points in most of those losses haha.

Sanchez was a 1 year starter in college , as he was in High School, really a huge reach. Joe Namath said Sanchez should have been, at best, a 4th Rd pick.

Geno has every physical attribute required of a top flight QB, Sanchez looks much smaller in many ways.

For anyone trying to make a comparison, just know that Sanchez will never take another snap as a starting QB in the NFL, nor will Christian Ponder in Minnesota...they're basically the same...which is very, very bad.

Sanchez had the better team ('09, '10 only!!), but Geno has the better coaches. How that translates to stats or produce better results I don't know, but I do know is that there are definately more guys running around wide open than I've seen in a few years. I will add that Geno+MM > Sanchez+Schotty/Sanchez+Sparano.