Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Jets sign mamoth NT TJ Barnes, all 6.6 370 pounds of him...

  1. #21
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    True, though I don't recall seeing the names of Wilfork and Washington being bandied about in any threads about Douzable.

    To be fair, I don't believe anyone was talking about Wilfork and Washington, as far as ability to play the position..... I'm pretty sure it was strictly a size comparison. Regardless, who cares..... is talking about Washington and Wilfork considered blasphemous?

  2. #22
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    257
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like most of his weight is in his lower half, which is good. Showed good enough lateral athleticism, though, he's slow as all hell. Purely a developmental prospect. must lose weight and gain speed or else he'll do nothing at the nfl level.

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    To be fair, I don't believe anyone was talking about Wilfork and Washington, as far as ability to play the position..... I'm pretty sure it was strictly a size comparison. Regardless, who cares..... is talking about Washington and Wilfork considered blasphemous?
    Not blasphemous. Just a tad . . . optimistic.

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    19,410
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he could drop about 40 lbs or so, physically, he would be an ideal sized 3-4 DE.

  5. #25
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Not blasphemous. Just a tad . . . optimistic.
    Nothing wrong with optimism. This team has been getting sh*t on, for a long time, for their personnel moves...... but, no one ever says when they were wrong. At the draft, they were made a joke of, for taking Richardson and Smith..... the only guy I've seen admit he was wrong was Ray Lucas. They found and developed Harrison and Douzable, who've become pretty good rotational players. As far as finding and developing defensive talent, this group has had some recent success..... so, why not be optimistic? Jets' fans don't need Pats' fans to manage their optimism and expectations. Were you the optimism police, when Pats' fans were talking about Sudfeld as the next Gronk?

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Wow, what a find! I agree...could be the next Ted Washington or Vince Wilfork!


    (By the way, why did all 32 teams in the NFL pass on using one of their 7 chances to draft this guy?)
    And then none of those 32 teams signed him as a undrafted free agent.

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Jets sign mamoth NT TJ Barnes, all 6.6 370 pounds of him...

    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    And then none of those 32 teams signed him as a undrafted free agent.
    Jacksonville did. He made it to the final cuts. Sounds like a few teams had interest


    Barnes (6-7, 345) is a big dreamer. Back 'Bama way, he's been known to lay under the night skies at his family's rural property, look upward and ponder. Now, he's looking south. Thursday, he'll head to Jacksonville for a rookie mini-camp with the Jags. There, he will begin chasing his dream in earnest.

    "John Henderson was my idol growing up, one of the first people that I started watching," Barnes said Saturday evening. "He started with the Jaguars, so I was like I'm going to start with the Jaguars."

    Henderson was extra large, and made a habit of mucking up the middle while playing defensive tackle for the Jags from 2002-'09 and the Oakland Raiders in 2010-'11.

    The former All-American from the University of Tennessee was a two-time Pro Bowl player in the NFL and Barnes figured from afar that he had a pretty good gig.

    So as the seventh round of the NFL draft was winding down Saturday, and big Barnes was pondering the chance that he would go unselected, he reviewed his options.

    NFL teams don't always wait until the draft ends to begin the free agent signing frenzy. They set the table ahead of time, and long before the final pick Saturday afternoon Barnes knew he would have opportunities with the Jags, Steelers, Chiefs, Cowboys.

    He'd already spoken with representatives from all those teams, and they each indicated interest in the event Barnes went undrafted.

    A form of fate led him to choose Jacksonville. "Around the sixth and seventh round, I knew what the whole deal was," Barnes said.
    Last edited by C Mart; 10-09-2013 at 06:57 PM.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Nothing wrong with optimism. This team has been getting sh*t on, for a long time, for their personnel moves...... but, no one ever says when they were wrong. At the draft, they were made a joke of, for taking Richardson and Smith..... the only guy I've seen admit he was wrong was Ray Lucas. They found and developed Harrison and Douzable, who've become pretty good rotational players. As far as finding and developing defensive talent, this group has had some recent success..... so, why not be optimistic? Jets' fans don't need Pats' fans to manage their optimism and expectations. Were you the optimism police, when Pats' fans were talking about Sudfeld as the next Gronk?
    He IS the next Gronk. And now the Jets have this future HOF-er on their roster. Nothing wrong with a little optimism.

  9. #29
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    He IS the next Gronk. And now the Jets have this future HOF-er on their roster. Nothing wrong with a little optimism.
    Well done.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    True, though I don't recall seeing the names of Wilfork and Washington being bandied about in any threads about Douzable.
    well, duh...

    that's because Douzable is a DE and Wilfork and Washington were NT's.

    Douzable reminds me more of a Richard Seymour or JJ Watt type of player

  11. #31
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    well, duh...

    that's because Douzable is a DE and Wilfork and Washington were NT's.

    Douzable reminds me more of a Richard Seymour or JJ Watt type of player
    I see more of a combo, between Deacon Jones and Richard Dent......... but, to each his own.

  12. #32
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,679
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

    Douzable reminds me more of JJ Watt type of player
    Yep. Bigger and faster JJ Watt.

  13. #33
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    well, duh...

    that's because Douzable is a DE and Wilfork and Washington were NT's.

    Douzable reminds me more of a Richard Seymour or JJ Watt type of player
    LOL.

    Kidding aside, the Jets have the best DL in the AFC East by a wide margin. If anyone can develop a guy like Barnes into a serviceable player, the Jets, more than most teams, deserve the benefit of the doubt.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    LOL.

    Kidding aside, the Jets have the best DL in the AFC East by a wide margin. If anyone can develop a guy like Barnes into a serviceable player, the Jets, more than most teams, deserve the benefit of the doubt.
    with Rex Ryan and Karl Dunbar, we have some of the best minds in football in terms of teaching and developing DL.

    Barnes may get cut next week for all we know, but like you said, the Jets have earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to evaluating DL talent.

  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    I see more of a combo, between Deacon Jones and Richard Dent......... but, to each his own.
    lol, i didn't want to sound too optimistic.

  16. #36
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    It is probably worth mentioning somewhere in this thread that he was unable to crack the Jaguars stellar roster.
    Nah, keep it to yourself. Although he'd be better than any receiver Brady has.

  17. #37
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    You DON'T want to be in the room when this guy farts.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    19,410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    And then none of those 32 teams signed him as a undrafted free agent.
    The same can be said about Damon "Snacks" Harrison.

    How'd that work out?

  19. #39
    All League
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    3,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    It is probably worth mentioning somewhere in this thread that he was unable to crack the Jaguars stellar roster.
    I was gonna ask where he came from...we shall see. The Jags don't seem to do anything right, so maybe they failed to get this guy up to his potential. We'll see though...not expecting any miracles.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us