Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets sign mamoth NT TJ Barnes, all 6.6 370 pounds of him...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets sign mamoth NT TJ Barnes, all 6.6 370 pounds of him...

to the PS. This guy went undrafted out of GTECH, but at that size was able to run a 5.19 at the combine. Was very productive at GTECH playing all four years and never missing a game, solid numbers too for a NT, was thought to be a mid round pick by some.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    to the PS. This guy went undrafted out of GTECH, but at that size was able to run a 5.19 at the combine. Was very productive at GTECH playing all four years and never missing a game, solid numbers too for a NT, was thought to be a mid round pick by some.
    He also plays OG..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He also plays OG..
    I view him as insurance.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our NT picks have been good lately

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a beast. maybe a Vince Wilfork type. never know I guess.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Normally people would spoof off this pickup but with the way Dunbar is coaching up our DLine you have to keep an eye
    on him. Remember nobody knew Damon Harrison. Incredible size

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't now Groh was GaTech's DC...I see he was let go last fall

NFL Draft Scouting Report: DT T.J. Barnes, Georgia Tech
    By Joey Weaver

www.SBNation.com

T.J. Barnes
    Height: 6'6"
    Weight: 369lbs
    Strengths:

• His size. Dude is HUGE. Ideal size for an NFL nose tackle.
    • His athleticism, all things considered. He's obviously no track star, but given his size he can still move fairly well.
    • His intelligence. This is something that came off strong in his interviews at the Combine. Barnes' position is one that typically attracts folks that make their living off of brawn moreso than brains, we'll say. However, Barnes is quite intelligent, and impressed a lot of the scouts who were interviewing players.

Weaknesses:

• Barnes's size, while a strength, works against him as well because his 6'6" frame is tough to get low enough to gain leverage on blockers.
    • His work ethic has been questioned in the past, as has his level of conditioning. This improved his senior year, although he still wasn't able to play as many snaps as most players would be expected to.

System: In college, Barnes largely functioned as a nose-tackle in Al Groh's 3-4 system. While all of the players appeared to struggle in the system, Barnes in particular struggled to pick up on the proper technique when it came to taking on multiple blockers at once. He did show improvement through his senior year, though, and shows promise at the next level should he get a chance. He can function easily as a 3-4 or 4-3 defensive tackle.

Most Memorable Moment: Personally, the most memorable moment I have of T.J. Barnes is in the 2011 Clemson upset on Homecoming. (I was actually at the game, but the next day decided to re-watch the broadcast and relive the awesome night.) There was a play in the first quarter where Clemson QB Tajh Boyd rolled out of the pocket to extend the play. Barnes had shed his blockers and was hot in pursuit of Boyd, actually gaining ground on a QB that's known for his mobility and forcing him to throw the ball away and ultimately suffer an intentional grounding call. To me, that was one of the first moments that Barnes really started opening some eyes on the Flats.
    See the video here: Link.

Bottom Line: Barnes has plenty of upside and potential, but has a lot of room for improvement too. His size makes him special, especially considering the role it plays in his position. In college, Barnes never became a dominant, imposing nose tackle, but put in a solid body of work. In the League, it's unreasonable to think he might start as a rookie (barring injuries), but it's very reasonable to see him as a solid back-up. His size and intelligence are great, although his technique and endurance leave something to be desired, thus indicating to me that he should see time, but not a ton of it at a time. All that said, with only football to concentrate on, it's quite believable that Barnes could develop his technique and stamina enough to become a starter within a short time in the league.

FTRS Projection: 6th-7th Rounds
    NFL Draft Scout Projection: 6th-7th Round (19th-best DT)

http://www.ajc.com/feed/sports/colle...georgia/fHYJy/

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I didn't now Groh was GaTech's DC...I see he was let go last fall

NFL Draft Scouting Report: DT T.J. Barnes, Georgia Tech
    By Joey Weaver

www.SBNation.com

T.J. Barnes
    Height: 6'6"
    Weight: 369lbs
    Strengths:

• His size. Dude is HUGE. Ideal size for an NFL nose tackle.
    • His athleticism, all things considered. He's obviously no track star, but given his size he can still move fairly well.
    • His intelligence. This is something that came off strong in his interviews at the Combine. Barnes' position is one that typically attracts folks that make their living off of brawn moreso than brains, we'll say. However, Barnes is quite intelligent, and impressed a lot of the scouts who were interviewing players.

Weaknesses:

• Barnes's size, while a strength, works against him as well because his 6'6" frame is tough to get low enough to gain leverage on blockers.
    • His work ethic has been questioned in the past, as has his level of conditioning. This improved his senior year, although he still wasn't able to play as many snaps as most players would be expected to.

System: In college, Barnes largely functioned as a nose-tackle in Al Groh's 3-4 system. While all of the players appeared to struggle in the system, Barnes in particular struggled to pick up on the proper technique when it came to taking on multiple blockers at once. He did show improvement through his senior year, though, and shows promise at the next level should he get a chance. He can function easily as a 3-4 or 4-3 defensive tackle.

Most Memorable Moment: Personally, the most memorable moment I have of T.J. Barnes is in the 2011 Clemson upset on Homecoming. (I was actually at the game, but the next day decided to re-watch the broadcast and relive the awesome night.) There was a play in the first quarter where Clemson QB Tajh Boyd rolled out of the pocket to extend the play. Barnes had shed his blockers and was hot in pursuit of Boyd, actually gaining ground on a QB that's known for his mobility and forcing him to throw the ball away and ultimately suffer an intentional grounding call. To me, that was one of the first moments that Barnes really started opening some eyes on the Flats.
    See the video here: Link.

Bottom Line: Barnes has plenty of upside and potential, but has a lot of room for improvement too. His size makes him special, especially considering the role it plays in his position. In college, Barnes never became a dominant, imposing nose tackle, but put in a solid body of work. In the League, it's unreasonable to think he might start as a rookie (barring injuries), but it's very reasonable to see him as a solid back-up. His size and intelligence are great, although his technique and endurance leave something to be desired, thus indicating to me that he should see time, but not a ton of it at a time. All that said, with only football to concentrate on, it's quite believable that Barnes could develop his technique and stamina enough to become a starter within a short time in the league.

FTRS Projection: 6th-7th Rounds
    NFL Draft Scout Projection: 6th-7th Round (19th-best DT)

http://www.ajc.com/feed/sports/colle...georgia/fHYJy/

You give this guy one year under an NFL type conditioning program, get him to shed some weight, get around 340-350 without losing strength and then watch him go. I like his length, 6.6 with 35 inch arms, good to bat passes down at the line. What a trifecta this can be if we could get Barnes up to speed along with Snacks and Ellis, that's a lot of size up front, these are the types you want fresh in the fourth quarter when everyone is winded.

I like the fact we are looking for these gems even after the season's started, Aumavae was nice, but Barnes has more upside for sure.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    6'6, nearly 370 lbs? Wow. What a behemoth.

#2swag4u

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    6'6, nearly 370 lbs? Wow. What a behemoth.

#2swag4u

Can he be a Ted Washington-type player?

http://www.nfl.com/player/tedwashington/2503558/profile

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is probably worth mentioning somewhere in this thread that he was unable to crack the Jaguars stellar roster.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex and Karl Dunbar are so good at coaching up d-linemen, they probably figure why not take a shot with this guy and see if they can turn him into a beast.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    It is probably worth mentioning somewhere in this thread that he was unable to crack the Jaguars stellar roster.
    LOL. If true, that is disturbing.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a big fat fatty.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    LOL. If true, that is disturbing.
    Well considering how bad the Jags suck, maybe talent evaluation isn't really their strong suit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    the same thing could be said of Leger Douzable, now a key member of our DL rotation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    the same thing could be said of Leger Douzable, now a key member of our DL rotation.
    True, though I don't recall seeing the names of Wilfork and Washington being bandied about in any threads about Douzable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, what a find! I agree...could be the next Ted Washington or Vince Wilfork!

(By the way, why did all 32 teams in the NFL pass on using one of their 7 chances to draft this guy?)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Sounds like a big fat fatty.
    A big fat fatty that could pound your ass into a wad of cookie dough