Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GAME FILM: Game winning drive (@ATL)

Practice Squad
    What I like so much about that drive is that Geno made the right decision on each play. Very good job. A better D though, would have made it a lot more difficult.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    it would be great to rewatch the full game like this you actually evaluate the players.
    Yes that would be great...More people should actually do that around here.

All League
    Didn't realize just how much room Gates had. He really is terrible.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    Two things from watching the tape:

1) That's a great call on the first pass. Atlanta is playing zone, and Geno is looking to the right. The slot corner on Hill dictates that play, because if he's playing man, and follows Hill, there is a slant route about a second later behind Hill for a larger completion. If Atlanta is playing zone, then Hill is open (which is what happened). But that's the sort of scheme were the OC is setting you up to succeed. That deeper slant comes only after you read the Hill slant, so when you move to the second read, the ball can still be thrown on time coming out of the slant and not late. That's a great call by MM there.

2) The Geno run, seems like a weird call. All the WRs ran go routes there. The checkdown option (I'm assuming Powell) gets held up at the line because he gets sandwhiched between two players, and thus becomes a broken play. Not having a viable secondary option there is a bit puzzling. Although the call would've worked out great if Powell got through, because it was one on one with a LB for 15 yards around him. Nice play by Geno to make something out of nothing there once Powell was stopped.
    The run was because that was the only play where Atlanta plays man to man. Geno notices that everyone has their backs to him, and correctly takes off for the corner. What I really like about him is that he has guys open, but he always takes the deep option when it's there. Most QBs, at least around here take the easy completion.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The run was because that was the only play where Atlanta plays man to man. Geno notices that everyone has their backs to him, and correctly takes off for the corner. What I really like about him is that he has guys open, but he always takes the deep option when it's there. Most QBs, at least around here take the easy completion.
    Yeah, possibly, although a zone on all go routes will most likely have them covered too since the CBs would just be dropping straight back. I think that's from the Air Raid, where the first read is the deep route, then the intermediate, the short, and finally the check down route. I think MM probably has similar reads in place for Geno.

Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    It is called learning from his mistakes and great situational awareness. How fun was it watching him fight for an extra yard earlier this year only to have the ball ripped away from him? At that point in the game you take no risks of a possible fumble, you get down and get back to the LOS for the next play.
    Exactly. His goal was to get the first down, and then once he had it, he went down so the next play could be executed.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    What's so nice about him falling down like a QB in front of a tackler? Why doesn't he use his size to plow through for a couple more yards? Who does he think he is, Pussington?
    Because he's nursing a concussion?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    LOL. We ran the same slats play out of the same formation multiple times and they still couldn't stop it.
    That's what Brady does to us ie., a bang bang play and the timing is perfect. You can't defend it when the play is rehearsed to perfection.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah, possibly, although a zone on all go routes will most likely have them covered too since the CBs would just be dropping straight back. I think that's from the Air Raid, where the first read is the deep route, then the intermediate, the short, and finally the check down route. I think MM probably has similar reads in place for Geno.
    One of my favorite plays is the Patriots "All Go TE DEEP IN" Drives every out and goes for a big gain to the TE every time. It is a Man to Man killer

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    What's so nice about him falling down like a QB in front of a tackler? Why doesn't he use his size to plow through for a couple more yards? Who does he think he is, Pussington?
    Hill is of no use if he gets another concussion...Hill while tall and fast, isn't a middle of the field break a tackle WR.

Sidelines? fight for a yd...middle of the field with LB's and S's around, protect the ball and fall down.

Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt made a career of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    One of my favorite plays is the Patriots "All Go TE DEEP IN" Drives every out and goes for a big gain to the TE every time. It is a Man to Man killer
    I think a lot of high octane offenses use the all go routes, it was just a bit weird that they didn't have any kind of checkdowns in that situation given the circumstances.

The Pats with the 2 TE formation and Brady were almost impossible to scheme against because of their versatility. Most regular defenses wouldn't stand much of a chance because Brady would see where the weak link in the defense was, and then had three options to exploit it. I think the reason why the Jets in certain games, and to some extent the Ravens have had success against him because of the blitzes and exotic packages that make it harder to determine where the weakness is at the line. And with the Giants, they really just pressured with their front 4 fast enough that the playmakers didn't have as much time to get open.

Two things from watching the tape:

1) That's a great call on the first pass. Atlanta is playing zone, and Geno is looking to the right. The slot corner on Hill dictates that play, because if he's playing man, and follows Hill, there is a slant route about a second later behind Hill for a larger completion. If Atlanta is playing zone, then Hill is open (which is what happened). But that's the sort of scheme were the OC is setting you up to succeed. That deeper slant comes only after you read the Hill slant, so when you move to the second read, the ball can still be thrown on time coming out of the slant and not late. That's a great call by MM there.

2) The Geno run, seems like a weird call. All the WRs ran go routes there. The checkdown option (I'm assuming Powell) gets held up at the line because he gets sandwhiched between two players, and thus becomes a broken play. Not having a viable secondary option there is a bit puzzling. Although the call would've worked out great if Powell got through, because it was one on one with a LB for 15 yards around him. Nice play by Geno to make something out of nothing there once Powell was stopped.
    Noticed the same thing. It seemed almost like a designed run. Both runners on the bottom of the screen run go patterns and the two WRs on the tap of the screen ran really long dig routes. All of the WRs were well covered so even if it wasn't a designed play, it was clearly the only option Geno had.

Thanks for posting this WINTERS was a road grader!

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Noticed the same thing. It seemed almost like a designed run. Both runners on the bottom of the screen run go patterns and the two WRs on the tap of the screen ran really long dig routes. All of the WRs were well covered so even if it wasn't a designed play, it was clearly the only option Geno had.
    Yeah, Geno had no other option on that, but to run. But it was good to see him beat Osi to the side line and turn up a bit. Also shows pretty good field awareness and situation awareness to know that he can run there, and that going out of bounds means that there isn't as much time taken off the clock. It makes sense to us or anyone watching, but to know it in the heat of the moment in a broken play is pretty good. I think most rookie QBs throw the ball away, or try to force something.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    That drive was Geno and Powell....I can't recall the last time a 6 yard run was so important.....I love the different dimensions in all three running backs....wait till Goodson really gets into game shape.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    NFL.COM NFL Rewind....I bought the package during pre season....you can also see all games going back to 2009....the subscription ends in 2014 after the superbowl. You can also see EVERY game of the season....I watch the jet game rewinds and also the games of our foes. I watched the steelers vs Vikings in london last night....steelers o line is worse than the falcons. tonight I watched the bengals-patriots game.

Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    You can if you get it from NFL.com.