Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 113

Thread: Pats Gronkowski, "Serious concern" about integrity of bone in forearm

  1. #1

    Pats Gronkowski, "Serious concern" about integrity of bone in forearm

    Hubbuch@HubbuchNYP 14m Sounds ominous. RT @WEEI: Source: ‘Serious concern’ over Tom Gill surgery on Rob Gronkowski http://dlvr.it/46n78F

    Source: ‘Serious concern’ over Tom Gill surgery on Rob Gronkowski
    10.10.13 at 11:01 pm ET

    Patriots team doctor Tom Gill. (AP)


    Rob Gronkowski
    may or may not play this weekend against the Saints. But the Patriots had expected him to play much sooner, a source with direct knowledge of the situation told WEEI.com.

    The Patriots thought the Pro Bowl tight end would make his debut as soon as Week 3 against Tampa Bay.
    However, Gronkowski did not make his debut on Sept. 22, and has yet to step on the field for his first snap of game action. The reason: concern over the stability of his surgically repaired left forearm after a procedure performed by Patriots doctor Tom Gill.

    While it is common practice for team doctors to perform on their own athletes, the Gronkowski family became concerned after repeated surgeries to treat infections in the area of an implement, or device, that was placed in the forearm to expedite the healing process.

    WEEI.com has learned from multiple sources with direct knowledge of the surgery that the arm, injured initially on Nov. 18, 2012, against the Colts, would have healed properly on its own with no surgery necessary. But the team and Gronkowski, looking to hasten his return to the field, decided upon surgery to use an implement in hopes he would be ready for the playoffs.

    Gronkowski returned in the 2012 season finale and caught a touchdown pass, but re-injured the arm two weeks later against Houston and was unavailable against Baltimore in the AFC championship.

    One source with direct knowledge of the initial forearm surgery told WEEI.com Thursday night that there is “serious concern” about the integrity of the bone where the implement was placed and the surrounding nerves. The source indicated that if the bone had healed on its own without an implement, there would have been no infection. However, there now are concerns that an abscess developed, causing infection and seriously weakening the bone. This prompted three more surgeries in the offseason on the forearm, separate from the procedure on his back.

    Gronkowski’s family and representatives were made aware of the issues in the arm and advised the tight end to hold off on returning to action until it could be determined that the bone in his right arm had fully healed.

    All of this led to the decision this week to bring in noted orthopedic specialist Dr. James Andrews to sign off on whether Gronkowski is indeed ready to play, taking the decision out of the hands of the Patriots, Gronkowski and Dr. Gill.

    The Patriots were hopeful that Gronkowski’s participation in practice in the early part of the season would lead to his return. Gronkowski has officially been listed as limited in all practices this season with the team.

    On Thursday, Gronkowski told reporters that “nothing’s changed” with regard to his playing status for Sunday, adding that he’s just going to take it day to day.

  2. #2
    As much as I hate the Patriots it's sad to see someone so talented constantly injured. I wouldn't be shocked if he onlyplays a handful of games the rest of his career.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    13,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    As much as I hate the Patriots it's sad to see someone so talented constantly injured. I wouldn't be shocked if he onlyplays a handful of games the rest of his career.
    That's what grossly abusing steroids will do to you.
    He got his "talent" from steroids and he lost it just the same.
    And even if he ever plays another game, the second a helmet hits that arm with a ball in it, out he goes again.
    I don't feel bad for self-inflicted "injuries" especially when one cheats their way to very large riches on it.

    Patriots look like a bunch of slimy arsed fools. That much is obvious!
    I wouldn't be surprised if Grunk tries to sue them over this surgery talk... that sounds pretty shady. (if they don't try to whack him anyways)

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,829
    Shame. I can see Gronk just agreeing to whatever doctors tell him. If the arm could have healed naturally and they forced him into surgery that would be pretty fvcked up. But then there is also the issue with his back that goes back to his college days. Backs never really get better. Either way I wouldn't be surprised if he just sat out the rest of the year and went on HGH.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    This guy cannot seem to catch a break....one injury after another....a great tight end who more than likely will have a very short nfl career.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    where is it that he used steroids.....please provide some proof....if you are going to make such a strong statement please back it up.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    That's what grossly abusing steroids will do to you.
    He got his "talent" from steroids and he lost it just the same.
    And even if he ever plays another game, the second a helmet hits that arm with a ball in it, out he goes again.
    I don't feel bad for self-inflicted "injuries" especially when one cheats their way to very large riches on it.

    Patriots look like a bunch of slimy arsed fools. That much is obvious!
    I wouldn't be surprised if Grunk tries to sue them over this surgery talk... that sounds pretty shady. (if they don't try to whack him anyways)

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    That's what grossly abusing steroids will do to you.
    He got his "talent" from steroids and he lost it just the same.
    And even if he ever plays another game, the second a helmet hits that arm with a ball in it, out he goes again.
    I don't feel bad for self-inflicted "injuries" especially when one cheats their way to very large riches on it.

    Patriots look like a bunch of slimy arsed fools. That much is obvious!
    I wouldn't be surprised if Grunk tries to sue them over this surgery talk... that sounds pretty shady. (if they don't try to whack him anyways)
    If you don't think they all don't use the juice your nuts, at some point most are on it every opportunity they get. For the record, just opinion.
    I don't know if you can blame Gronk for this one, I think this falls on NE and BB and their greed and lack of compassion for any human. This just goes to show you what NE is all about, the players to them are nothing more than machines, fix it now to get what we can out of it and when we are done with it toss it to the scrap heap and let someone else figure out how to deal with it. Another words, go spend the rest of your life in pain with half mobility because we got what we needed out of you.
    Last edited by leftturn3; 10-11-2013 at 08:10 AM.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,729
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    where is it that he used steroids.....please provide some proof....if you are going to make such a strong statement please back it up.
    AGREED! It is sickening that someone would write that crap without proof.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,248
    This is probably Karma for the Patriots harboring a murderer for 2 years.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    This is probably Karma for the Patriots harboring a murderer for 2 years.
    Yes, that's probably right.

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    where is it that he used steroids.....please provide some proof....if you are going to make such a strong statement please back it up.
    When you're trolling you don't need any proof. You better not question him, he will call you a Pats fan.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,895
    Forearm pretty big for a TE.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    That's what grossly abusing steroids will do to you.
    He got his "talent" from steroids and he lost it just the same.
    And even if he ever plays another game, the second a helmet hits that arm with a ball in it, out he goes again.
    I don't feel bad for self-inflicted "injuries" especially when one cheats their way to very large riches on it.

    Patriots look like a bunch of slimy arsed fools. That much is obvious!
    I wouldn't be surprised if Grunk tries to sue them over this surgery talk... that sounds pretty shady. (if they don't try to whack him anyways)
    So which one is it? The steroids or the shady surgery?

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,509
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    If you don't think they all don't use the juice your nuts, at some point most are on it every opportunity they get. For the record, just opinion.
    I don't know if you can blame Gronk for this one, I think this falls on NE and BB and their greed and lack of compassion for any human. This just goes to show you what NE is all about, the players to them are nothing more than machines, fix it now to get what we can out of it and when we are done with it toss it to the scrap heap and let someone else figure out how to deal with it. Another words, go spend the rest of your life in pain with half mobility because we got what we needed out of you.
    I think this is what underlies the entire story here. And Dr. Gill swept the Hippocratic Oath under the rug.

  15. #15
    Don't understand why the Pats hired Gill as the team doctor. This guy was fired by the Sox for being a lousy doctor with questionable decisions.

    As for the steroid claims, just consider the source. Zero credibility and objectivity on anything Patriot's related. A hater extraordinaire.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,964
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    where is it that he used steroids.....please provide some proof....if you are going to make such a strong statement please back it up.
    Who knows whether Gronk took roids or not.....There are very few athletes who I think are above using steroids....he's not one of them....wouldn't shock me one bit....

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,509
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Who knows whether Gronk took roids or not.....There are very few athletes who I think are above using steroids....he's not one of them....wouldn't shock me one bit....
    Obviously, no one here can provide "proof." If there was "proof," he would have been suspended by now.

  18. #18
    There's no reason to think this was caused by steroid use. We have a detailed story of a failed medical procedure here that makes no mention of prior conditions having any impact. Facts, use them.

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Who knows whether Gronk took roids or not.....There are very few athletes who I think are above using steroids....he's not one of them....wouldn't shock me one bit....
    Yup, you don't know whether the entire Jets D lines took roids or not either.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    Yup, you don't know whether the entire Jets D lines took roids or not either.
    you're right chowd I don't know.....my remark was not even a slight at Gronk and the Pasts it was a general remark about all athletes so go away!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us