Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does Idzik have to do?

What does Idzik have to do?

I have to admit, as much as I biatch about our 3rd down defense, we are playing without our 1st round corner & Cro has been playing all year banged up.
    Like someone stated earlier, the Steelers scored 16 points & got a cheap FG at the end.
    In this league & with all the rules favoring the offense, you should be able to score more than 20 points a week in this league.
    This offseason has to be all about the weapons
    He needs to try & sign either Nicks or Decker (neither one of these guys teams have the money to keep them)
    Both are good veterans that would help Hill & Kerley who are both 3 & 4 type wideouts.
    Use the money you save from cutting Holmes & go bold by trading your #2 pick in 2014 to the Browns for Josh Gordon.
    Now you have 2 very good WRs & Hill, all guys that can play outside.

I actually would prefer Decker who is tough & strong where both he & Gordon really fight for the ball.
    With our 1st rounder, I go best WR available, I don't pay too much attention to college ball but I'm sure we will be picking anywhere from 6-10 range.
    * Now this is a change for me as in the past the $s you had to spend on 1st rounders was ridiculous but with the new CBA it doesn't kill your salary cap.
    You have to have veteran wideouts in this league to succeed because they are clutch
    Look no further than New England, while they keep pulling games out of their azzes, I can't see them beating a team like Seattle or the Forty Niners on a neutral field solely on their young WRs probably making a mistake.

We need OLBs, & maybe a good safety, TE, RBs & we'll have 10 picks including the 2 threes (Tampa Bays pick gets better every week, it's gonna be like a low 2). You look at the games we just played this year & imagine we had trotted out a Threesome of Decker, Gordon & Hill, with Kerley & a stud Rookie,, instead of Clyde Gates & a gimpy Holmes.
    Hell, thats 1 FA pick up & 1 trade to be in that position.
    Jets will have money for too shore up some depth issues too.
    I just wish Rex was our DC & not our Head Coach. I like Rex, just not as our HC.

Hall Of Fame
    In today's NFL 19 points is a pretty good effort but I don't see any reason why we let Big Ben and Sanders hook up for that bomb. Why is Cro on an island with one leg? And the third down defense is definitely an issue. How can a team that believes themselves to be good on defense give up so many third-and-longs? I think we need to change up how we play on third down. Veteran QBs do not struggle against the blitz, they exploit it. When we blitz we leave the middle of the field wide open.

That said, our biggest issues are on the other side of the ball. So to answer your question, Idzik has to build this offense up. We need legit weapons on offense. Kerley is a good player but he scares nobody. He can easily be taken out of the game. We need guys that are absolute mismatches. Right now we don't have that. Cumberland is almost that but he still needs to prove himself. We are also playing with a rookie QB and with that comes some hurdles. The first INT he threw yesterday was the worst throw he has made all year IMO. But he is a rookie and that is going to happen with rookies. In a tight game that can cost you the game.

I wouldn't invest any high picks in the secondary. We already have 3 first rounders back there and the rules make it hard for them to play. The resources are better spent up front and that is what we have been doing.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I don't know about all of this, but I am very excited for next year with all of that cap space the Jets are going to have and that extra Day 2 pick. Could lead to a ton of starters or solid rotational players being picked up next year. The free agent class doesn't look great right now, but hopefully teams eat dead money and cut some solid players like we are going to do with Sanchez and Holmes so there is more out there for us to sign.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    In today's NFL 19 points is a pretty good effort but I don't see any reason why we let Big Ben and Sanders hook up for that bomb. Why is Cro on an island with one leg? And the third down defense is definitely an issue. How can a team that believes themselves to be good on defense give up so many third-and-longs? I think we need to change up how we play on third down. Veteran QBs do not struggle against the blitz, they exploit it. When we blitz we leave the middle of the field wide open.

That said, our biggest issues are on the other side of the ball. So to answer your question, Idzik has to build this offense up. We need legit weapons on offense. Kerley is a good player but he scares nobody. He can easily be taken out of the game. We need guys that are absolute mismatches. Right now we don't have that. Cumberland is almost that but he still needs to prove himself. We are also playing with a rookie QB and with that comes some hurdles. The first INT he threw yesterday was the worst throw he has made all year IMO. But he is a rookie and that is going to happen with rookies. In a tight game that can cost you the game.

I wouldn't invest any high picks in the secondary. We already have 3 first rounders back there and the rules make it hard for them to play. The resources are better spent up front and that is what we have been doing.
    I disagree. We need a stud OLB,that we can count on for 14-16 games. We need a ball hawking saety,also.We not creating any turnovers on defense, because of those 2 positions.I hope everybody agrees with me now that Coples is a total dud,and needs to be traded to a team where he might be able to contribute.On offense,Hill isn't being targeted enough.He's always open, and with his size and speed, him and Cumberland are mismatches for defenses. We need a #1 guy,like Nicks.We need a 3rd down back, with big play ability.Those are the four positions we have to address, in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzershot18 View Post
    I don't know about all of this, but I am very excited for next year with all of that cap space the Jets are going to have and that extra Day 2 pick. Could lead to a ton of starters or solid rotational players being picked up next year. The free agent class doesn't look great right now, but hopefully teams eat dead money and cut some solid players like we are going to do with Sanchez and Holmes so there is more out there for us to sign.
    Your avy is tremendous.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Your avy is tremendous.
    Haha I had to do it when I saw it. Thanks my friend.

Jets Insider VIP
    No Santonio Holmes, no Kellen Winslow, some depleted RBs and too much Gates. Combine that with Dick Lebeau scheming the defense against a rookie QB and we're going to have a hard time. Combine it further with MM/RR playing intentionally conservative because they probably thought only mistakes would lose the game for the Jets and we end up with what happened yesterday.

Look, Geno has shown he can pass, he bailed out the defense in Atlanta last week, he threw TD bombs against Buffalo, etc. But I heard a stat that going into the game yesterday, rookie QBs had won 2 out of 18 games against Dick Lebeau defenses. The Jets knew this as well and tried to keep the ball on the ground instead of in the air. For a while, it was a very close game. One blown play on play-action accounted for the only TD.

Let's give the Steelers a little credit. They're not horrible, they still have Polamalu over there and they did just enough to win against a Jets team with an undermanned offense, a rookie QB and a conservative gameplan.

With some better health I think the Jets are pretty talented on O. Holmes, Hill, Kerley with Cumberland/Winslow and Powell/Goodson/Ivory is enough talent to win. Is it top 10 NFL talent? No. Is it bottom 10? No.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-14-2013 at 12:59 PM.

To me, WR and Safety are easily our biggest needs. WR may be something we can address in the FA market, but even if we do pick up a Decker/Nicks kind of player (FWIW I would also go Decker), I think we should spend a second on a WR, hopefully strike gold in a andre hopkins or even a dobson type (with hands). Go for the #1 safety on the board in the first and we'll be in much better shape.

While I would like us to pick an OLB (I've been begging for it for years) I don't think that's as high of a priority anymore, our d-line is getting pressure and sacks and they're young. I think Coples improved this game, but unfortunately people will refuse to admit that until his stat sheet blows up. Anyway, our secondary is in worse shape than it may seem, maybe when Milliner finally blossoms we'll be back in good shape but our safeties are awful (wonder how Sanders blew the top off our D so easily), and have been for a long time. People want turnovers? Get a ballhawk safety who can also lay some wood down.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I disagree. We need a stud OLB,that we can count on for 14-16 games. We need a ball hawking saety,also.We not creating any turnovers on defense, because of those 2 positions.I hope everybody agrees with me now that Coples is a total dud,and needs to be traded to a team where he might be able to contribute.On offense,Hill isn't being targeted enough.He's always open, and with his size and speed, him and Cumberland are mismatches for defenses. We need a #1 guy,like Nicks.We need a 3rd down back, with big play ability.Those are the four positions we have to address, in the offseason.
    I agree that we need an OLB and a legit safety but my point is that the needs on the offense are greater. Coples is not a dud, he is playing out of position bc of our need for OLB. I just hope they move him back before he is ruined.

Nicks is talented but he is a dog. No thanks. I would rather overpay Graham and laugh as teams try to cover him and Cumberland.

is there any logic to tampa cutting revis after the season, blowing up their team and not investing a ton of money in him and essentially admitting the trade was a bad idea, thereby giving the jets a pick in the lower rounds? or do they keep him regardless, even though he clearly can't influence the game the way they hoped?

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree that we need an OLB and a legit safety but my point is that the needs on the offense are greater. Coples is not a dud, he is playing out of position bc of our need for OLB. I just hope they move him back before he is ruined.

Nicks is talented but he is a dog. No thanks. I would rather overpay Graham and laugh as teams try to cover him and Cumberland.
    I started a thread about trading Coples and a 1, for Grahem,and was shot down by everybody.There isn't a spot for Coples.He's no Richardson,he's no Wilkerson.Douzable has been more active than him.

I started a thread about trading Coples and a 1, for Grahem,and was shot down by everybody.There isn't a spot for Coples.He's no Richardson,he's no Wilkerson.Douzable has been more active than him.
    No TE is worth that much not even Sharpe in his prime.

Veteran
    Mostly this off season should be focused on one thing and that is improving the offense. Bringing in more talent through the draft and continuing to develop the young talent we already have.

We can not make the same mistakes with Geno that we did with Sanchez. We must surround him with as much talent as possible.

The defense is just a few players away to fix some small holes. For the most part they are all very young and have plenty of room to grow. Not much is needed.

I think the Coples experiment has to end at OLB. The guy was coming on strong last year on the Dline and now we switch him to OLB. We drafted Richardson, so stick Coples at DT and let him go to work.

I don't know enough about ILBs in a 3-4 vs 4-3....can Demario Davis do well as an ILB in a 4-3? If he can, cut Harris next year, it saves 5mil. Put that towards signing Orapko next year.

Restructure or cut Cro. Make a run at Jarius Byrd or Charles Tillman, someone who gets turnovers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    I think the Coples experiment has to end at OLB. The guy was coming on strong last year on the Dline and now we switch him to OLB. We drafted Richardson, so stick Coples at DT and let him go to work.

I don't know enough about ILBs in a 3-4 vs 4-3....can Demario Davis do well as an ILB in a 4-3? If he can, cut Harris next year, it saves 5mil. Put that towards signing Orapko next year.

Restructure or cut Cro. Make a run at Jarius Byrd or Charles Tillman, someone who gets turnovers.
    Harris is playing pretty well right now. I'm not against losing him if we can upgrade but the question might be whether we could put a 4-3 together that has Wilk, Snacks, Coples, Richardson. Should Richardson play DE?

Why would you trade essentially two No1's for a guy that is going to demand 9mil a year? Oh, and the Saints aren't trading him. They are serious contenders to get to the Superbowl this year.

Veteran
    Perhaps the lack of OLB is why we put Coples out there. With Richardson we have the luxury of an extra guy. Hopefully next year we can draft and OLB. Finally

Isn't he gonna be a FA anyway? Why a trade? Just throw the bank at him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Isn't he gonna be a FA anyway? Why a trade? Just throw the bank at him.
    Graham is never going to see free agency. Not sure why everyone thinks there is going to be some bidding war for him. Why in the world would New Orleans let Brees' favorite target walk away? Look at the franchise tag numbers for TEs, they are dirt cheap for a player like Graham. People need to get this fantasy of signing Graham in FA out of their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Harris is playing pretty well right now. I'm not against losing him if we can upgrade but the question might be whether we could put a 4-3 together that has Wilk, Snacks, Coples, Richardson. Should Richardson play DE?
    I know Harris is playing well. and I really liked the way he handled his contract situation. The guy just quietly goes about his business. I said Harris because it seems like Rex is trying to get his best players on the field with Coples at OLB, and it just doesn't seem to be working. Harris saves 5mil in cap space next year, so cutting Davis makes no sense if he can do the job in a 4-3. I suppose we could trade Coples, but the most I could see us getting for him is a 2d rounder, and I think we need an immediate impact at OLB. I don't want to try filling that need in the draft, I want a sure thing. We have been looking to fill that role for years.