Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does Idzik have to do?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I started a thread about trading Coples and a 1, for Grahem,and was shot down by everybody.There isn't a spot for Coples.He's no Richardson,he's no Wilkerson.Douzable has been more active than him.
    Because your trades are so one sided and not realistic.

[QUOTE=sec.101row23;5025343]Because your trades are so one sided and not realistic.[/QUOTE It was just a suggestion.My thought now is to use Coples to trade up in the 1st round.And i think that might actually might happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    In today's NFL 19 points is a pretty good effort but I don't see any reason why we let Big Ben and Sanders hook up for that bomb. Why is Cro on an island with one leg? And the third down defense is definitely an issue. How can a team that believes themselves to be good on defense give up so many third-and-longs? I think we need to change up how we play on third down. Veteran QBs do not struggle against the blitz, they exploit it. When we blitz we leave the middle of the field wide open.

That said, our biggest issues are on the other side of the ball. So to answer your question, Idzik has to build this offense up. We need legit weapons on offense. Kerley is a good player but he scares nobody. He can easily be taken out of the game. We need guys that are absolute mismatches. Right now we don't have that. Cumberland is almost that but he still needs to prove himself. We are also playing with a rookie QB and with that comes some hurdles. The first INT he threw yesterday was the worst throw he has made all year IMO. But he is a rookie and that is going to happen with rookies. In a tight game that can cost you the game.

I wouldn't invest any high picks in the secondary. We already have 3 first rounders back there and the rules make it hard for them to play. The resources are better spent up front and that is what we have been doing.
    excellent post and I agree with you.

All Pro
    I've been wanting us to draft a WR early for years ... this year I was hoping we could have picked up Keenan Allen (I think he was even there when we picked in Rd 3). I know he had an injury that put teams off, but he's doing really well in SD so far.

Maybe next year ...

Undrafted Free Agent
    I think it would be foolish to release Harris, he is playing well. They will restructure his contract. Next priority would be to re-sign guys who are up and we want to keep. As far as the draft goes, Idzik (and rightfully so) will draft BPA in round 1 and maybe in round 2. If the BPA is a WR then that is who he is going to draft, but the same will be true for OLB, Safety, etc. If the guy (or guys) at BPA isn't what we want, we will try and trade down. Then, as the draft goes on, we will start drafting for need and depth like he did this year. I would imagine if FA OLB or Safety comes available at a good price - we will sign them. The same may be true for TE or WR, but I would imagine if Geno is the guy (or we draft another QB) we are more likely to build the offense via the draft to make sure these guys are with the QB for sometime. Maybe sign a good 'hands' TE or WR.

As it turns out, Idzik was able to build a pretty good team, we just didn't have any depth and injuries and suspensions have not only crippled the team, but left our young QB with an inconsistent rotation of guys. We have Hill, Kerley, and Cumberland. We just need to build around these guys for the future.

Mr. Idzak, must do the following at the end of the season.

1. Fire the mouth Rex Ryan
    2. Put a moratorium on drafting defensive players--even if the best player available is on defense. You need to give young Geno some talented offensive play makers.
    3. Pick up one or two free agents with the money that will become available

1 Keep Rex and resign Marty
    2 Draft a RB and find 2 new TEs that fit the system.
    3 Get an all purpose OLB.
    4 Upgrade RT.
    5 Replace Holmes at the #3 spot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    1 Keep Rex and resign Marty
    2 Draft a RB and find 2 new TEs that fit the system.
    3 Get an all purpose OLB.
    4 Upgrade RT.
    5 Replace Holmes at the #3 spot.
    We need a few safeties.

1. Sign Jarius Byrd
    2. Sign an OLB (Orapko or a surprise cut)
    3. Sign a quality OG.
    4. Restructure Harris & Cromartie
    5. Target Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans or Marqise Lee only in round 1 of draft
    6. Draft Lache Seastrunk, Ka'deem Carey or Melvin Gordon. The only backs worthy of being starting material.
    7. Draft a TE or offer trades consisting of 1 of the 3rd rd picks. (Antonio Gates? Is chargers decides to finally rebuild.

All League
    Charter JI Member

I thought about reading this thread, but I just really don't want to bother. I'm sure it contains the usual b!tching and whining from the usual suspects.

Here's my very simple straight forward answer to the question What does Idzik have to do? A: Get more time.

The guy hasn't been here for a full year yet.
    He was dealing with limited resources from both a talent on the roster standpoint and from a salary cap standpoint.
    The guy is an NFL GM....not Jesus Christ...he can't snap his fingers and perform miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    1. Sign Jarius Byrd
    2. Sign an OLB (Orapko or a surprise cut)
    3. Sign a quality OG.
    4. Restructure Harris & Cromartie
    5. Target Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans or Marqise Lee only in round 1 of draft
    6. Draft Lache Seastrunk, Ka'deem Carey or Melvin Gordon. The only backs worthy of being starting material.
    7. Draft a TE or offer trades consisting of 1 of the 3rd rd picks. (Antonio Gates? Is chargers decides to finally rebuild.
    It all depends on who declares as always. Wilder, Sankey, Sims, George Atkinson III, and I hate him but Redd all have starter ability. Perkins, Williams, and White arent bad either. This is a deep group but not all of them will declare. Any of these guys we be gone by no later then the 3rd IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think we need to get 3 or 4 play makers thru the draft and FA.

Need to improve Safeties.

Geno will be OK after a season of learning.

Keep Rex and Marty and start some stability with this org.

I say:

1. Keep Rex and MM together. Both are good at their jobs on each side of the ball.

2. Draft WR in the first round (Lee or Watkins) AND sign a WR. This is turning more and more into a passing league, and you need playmakers in multiple levels. Some names that could be available: Decker, Maclin, Nicks, Britt, and Emanuel Sanders. You get Watkins and Nicks, plus Kerley and Hill, and you have mismatch galore.

3. I think a RB by committee can get the job done, so I wouldn't invest a high pick in a RB. Maybe a lower round one on a speed guy. The only other way I invest in a high RB is if the WRs are gone by the time we pick or if it's a flex guy like DeAnthony Thomas, who can possibly line up in the slot as well as play RB.

4. Target an OLB with the second round pick, again with speed.

I think our whole focus in the upcoming offseason should be to create an explosive offense with players that can create mismatches.

Sign Kerry Rhodes. Who cares if he's gay what is this the 5th frickin grade?

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I think we need to get 3 or 4 play makers thru the draft and FA.

Need to improve Safeties.

Geno will be OK after a season of learning.

Keep Rex and Marty and start some stability with this org.
    Next season we absolutely have to sign a big-time WR or TE. See Hakeem Nicks or Jimmy Graham. Nicks is the much more likely target because the Giants probably won't resign him and if he gets a huge offer from us and an added incentive of staying in NY and the east coast plus we will be the better team the next several seasons (unless the Giants do the smart thing and go 0-16 and get Clowney).

We're fine at RB. This isn't the 90's.

sign qb---Shaun Hill
    sign WR----Eric Decker ,Kris Durham,Julian Edelman,Anquan Boldin,Golden Tate
    sign Safety---T.J. Ward, Donte Whitner
    sign OLB----Anthony Spencer,Rolando McClain,Brian Orakpo
    sign CB----Aqib Talib

restructure harris and cromartie contracts

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Graham is never going to see free agency. Not sure why everyone thinks there is going to be some bidding war for him. Why in the world would New Orleans let Brees' favorite target walk away? Look at the franchise tag numbers for TEs, they are dirt cheap for a player like Graham. People need to get this fantasy of signing Graham in FA out of their heads.
    Graham could oppose a TE franchise designation and win. He plays 60& of his snaps at WR.

Jets draft needs to be something like this next year : WR TE WR/OLB RB/WR/OLB