Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Costello on New Stadium

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    You don't spend millions and millions on a pipe dream.

It was there for the taking. Woody & the brain trust did everything except buy the one guy they needed: Sheldon Silver.

Woody Johnson & Jay Cross go down as the only dopes in business ever to be outmaneuvered by Guitar Jimmy Dolan. Met Life Stadium is the living monument emblematic of their collective incompetence.
    +1

That whole situation is harder to get over than the 2009 AFCCG loss to Indy. Between the awesome artist renderings and the coolest location in sports, and they just blew it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

It was there for the taking. Woody & the brain trust did everything except buy the one guy they needed: Sheldon Silver.

Woody Johnson & Jay Cross go down as the only dopes in business ever to be outmaneuvered by Guitar Jimmy Dolan. Met Life Stadium is the living monument emblematic of their collective incompetence.

And don't forget, Cross's good work earned himself a promotion!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    And don't forget, Cross's good work earned himself a promotion!
    All the rats have left the ship. Only the dope in the baseball cap remains, holding the bag.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street View Post
    The stadium is a piece of sh*t. All of the attention went into the clubs and suites. I was invited to a suite last week and it was laughable how nice and un-stadium-like those areas are. Quiet hallways with lots of artwork and carpeting. Lots of greeters who couldn't be any fake happier to see you. The suite has top of the line appointments, it's like having a party in a new 1BR apartment in Chelsea, except with patio has the view of a football field.

The amount of greed it took to build that place is just disgusting. Giants stadium did not have these amenities, and this is where the real money is made, in rich d-bags who want to be trendy and watch NFL football but god forbid had to sit with the regular people. Picture an entire section of the owner of the team in "Slapshot", and you have the suite level. Free food is cool, but I mean you aren't getting free king crab legs. It's hot dogs and chicken fingers, would cost you under $10 to get this in your living room.

I know this is not earth shattering information here, luxury suites are filled with douches and the majority of fans hate them. However, I thought it would be pretty cool to get the chance to get that experience for once. All it did was put the final stamp of disapproval on Metlife for me. Between the bombardment of ads, the caste system, the prices, the overall boring and actually more inconvenient design, and the amount of opposing fans, I really don't know how it could be worse.

I love watching the Jets in person but I walk out of Metlife so annoyed each time. They are slowly going to become my favorite TV show and that's about it.
    This is 100% true, they built the place first and foremost with the suites in mind. It was that demographic that drove the design and the regular seats were a total afterthought. This is why you have the upper deck that is so high up and setback so far out. They totally ignored the needs for egress and instead of bringing over Giant Stadium's best feature (escalators straight from ground level to the top level) they decided to create a stairway cluster**** where nobody can get in or out without a colossal waste of bump and grind time.

And while they were setting up air conditioning and heating for the suite levels, they forgot to very basically enclose the upper concourse so now there is nowhere to hide up there on cold & windy days you are exposed outside for 2.99 hours, excluding that 0.01 hour you get to take a piss (assuming you can even manage to get into a bathroom during halftime)

And let's not forget the world's most useless train platform
    Last edited by GordonGecko; 10-16-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    These stadium threads are always great.

I'm not saying it's the best it could have been, but it doesn't feel like we're second class occupants to the Giants to me, at least. I've only been to Jets games at the place, so it would feel weird to me being there during a Giants game.

Also, no bathroom lines where I sit.

Parking is still a pain sometimes, and the attendants truly are useless. You see like 10 of them standing in bunches, and they never enforce the one spot per car thing.

Better food and beer options than the old place, and very small lines where I sit (....too small, in fact. Been buying WAY too many beers inside lately....

Great view from 135.

Place could certainly be louder, though it's been up there a few times. I actually miss Fireman Ed and the chant.

The place does look a bit like an air conditioner. That is kind of funny.

Lastly, yeah, the prices are ridiculous. I try not to think about it.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkrotraz View Post
    I have five in my family.
    Reasonable man thinks that's where you made the mistake. No offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

You and I don't but in the end Woody did.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read a good article in ESPN Magazine:

Oakland is/or will lose 2 to 3 of their major franchises. Al Davis's son
    wants out of the Coliseum, so do the Athletics and Golden State does too.
    All three have cities interested in moving them there. You don't build
    the ****ty looking monstrosities then another town will.
    I am always amazed with the easy way in which soccer teams mysteriously get built.
    They only fill a quarter of what the NFL stadiums do and cost a quarter too. Every MLS
    town has or will have a soccer only stadium by 2015, somebody is coming to those
    games.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Jets were playing in a copy of KC. The same people who built KC stadium built the Medowlands

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkrotraz View Post
    My lower level seats in old stadium was $105 each with no psl. And they were the equivalent of Lower Level Prime today which is 20K a psl plus a $155 a ticket.

Jets offered me my old seats in new stadium. Row Two 40 yard line. $40,000 a pair and $155 a ticket. Guy next to me in new stadium sat there too.
    I think you're wrong on that $155 a seat, I think the seats you're describing are $400 + a seat...Jus sayin...It proves your point even more, what a travesty it is the way cheapskate Woody has us over the barrel.
    Last edited by Mohegangreen; 10-16-2013 at 07:50 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Very few Steeler fans in the lower bowl or 100 sections. They buy up the cheap seats in the upper level. Article is right on though.
    Not true, I sit in 106 and they were all around me....And when I looked at the stadium as a whole, they were equally dispersed throughout all the levels

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, I don't think my seats are that expensive by NYC standards. $125 per game to sit in the lower bowl is well worth it. Thank God the Jets wouldn't sell me seats in the UD.

Those seats are a travesty. There are so many bad seats in the UD corners that it drives down the value of every seat in the stadium. Most new stadiums are 10-15k smaller than JetLife for a reason - reduced capacity drives up prices.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer away games. Take a trip and watch the Jets

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Around the league:

Attachment 4550

Attachment 4551

Attachment 4552

Metlife Stadium:

Attachment 4553

Really, what's the debate even about. We have, by far, the dumpiest looking modern stadium in all of sports. It's pathetic. It is no better visually than the old Giants Stadium (minus the name of course). The only thing "better" than the old stadium are the 4 big screens vs the 2 before. I realize we're there to watch a football game, but if they are expecting to collect those kind of prices they had better have made an aesthetically pleasing atmosphere that makes people walk around in awe of the building.
    WestSideStadium2.jpg

WestSideStadium1.jpg

Would have been glorious.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fullblast View Post
    WestSideStadium2.jpg

WestSideStadium1.jpg

Would have been glorious.
    Epic!

NYC really dropped the ball on this one.....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    This is a well written article by Costello. Couldn't agree more with him. I don't get why teams who are building new stadiums don't go to Kansas City or Seattle when building them. Those two stadiums have such home field advantages it amazes me more stadiums don't copy them. As for the price it is absurd how much a game now costs. Knowing this team to be the 5th highest ticket and to have the product we have we should be the 23rd or 24th priced team. It's too late for us to correct the PSL's and pricing but one day hopefully they can.

As I say the new stadium looks like a big air conditioning and since you are not as close to the action very impersonal. Add in the coach's club where Costello say the 50 yard line seats are empty until the 3rd quarter. Other teams put that in the mezzanine level at their stadium. One of the situations well thought of but the execution is not good.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/15/rex-can...lack-of-noise/
    Did you say that the Jets, and Giants, had that big a home field advantage as the Chiefs?

Giants Stadium was built by the same people who built the stadium in KC, it was the same stadium minus the cut outs in the upper deck creating that swooped top.

Its partly the size of the stadium, but its not the just stadium, its the fans who sit in the stadium.

It has nothing to do with the colors or the way the stadium looks. Once your in your seat none of the matters, if it does youre the problem we're talking about.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Epic!

NYC really dropped the ball on this one.....
    Oh my...it was pretty close to getting done. Blame Cablevision and MSG. I see where they are coming from...The Javits Center to the north and the Garden to the south and the massive Jets stadium in the middle splits revenues three ways instead of two. What these idiots couldn't see was the massive influx of businesses and the focus on the whole area. It now still sits there vacant.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    stadium.jpg

These pictures get me so pissed off lol

And as much as I completely loved the WSS design and location, I think a design like Qwest Field has with one end open would have been even better.

Greatest backdrop in the world, would've done wonders to the little brother image of the Jets. Hell, the Giants probably would have asked to be OUR tenants.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a simple solution to this problem.....WIN!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    For all you p*ssed off Jet fans... I met a guy yesterday that is a Giants and Devils fan... He is 0 and 12!