Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 143

Thread: Rules for Brady...then there's rules for everyone else.

  1. #81
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Great competitor. Great QB when his line is up. The pillar of toughness he is not. You can't use one game vs the Saints - who are not a physical team, to prove a point that is consistent for a long time. There is great hypocrisy when you're trying to prove a point and debunk someone else's. Brady is a great QB. Gets calls that help in his favor because of it. A great competitor. Sore loser. Isn't a tough QB compared to others. Extremely accurate. 3 Superbowl Victories, twice MVP.

    Dante Scarnecchia goes unsung in Brady's success, IMO. If not for him, the Pats' offense wouldn't be the Pats' offense.
    Hard to find a more objective, accurate, assessment of Brady than this, all the way down to the kudos for Scarnecchia.

  2. #82
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,650
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Yeah. Eli's lighting it up this year.
    Don't be dissing the Bro's Eli has a new career..


  3. #83
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,632
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Not GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Just curious. Why'd you have to leave the Jets out of your analysis?
    Because the Jets are not up to par with the pats in the last decade or so. And lol at the jet posters here thinking im a fnking vagiants fan. I hate the Giants. Really shouldnt leave the hampur but its pats week and i hate you bastards too. But in a good rivalry way not the wacko conspiracy theories way like some nuts. Bill bellicheck is a superior coach. Tom Brady is probably the greatest of all time Any football fan should know that. Doesn't mean i don't despise both those pos.

  4. #84
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Don't be dissing the Bro's Eli has a new career..


    Funny thing is that Eli is playing as well as he raps.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Because the Jets are not up to par with the pats in the last decade or so. And lol at the jet posters here thinking im a fnking vagiants fan. I hate the Giants. Really shouldnt leave the hampur but its pats week and i hate you bastards too. But in a good rivalry way not the wacko conspiracy theories way like some nuts. Bill bellicheck is a superior coach. Tom Brady is probably the greatest of all time Any football fan should know that. Doesn't mean i don't despise both those pos.
    I respect this post. Surprised, too.

  6. #86
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Seriously? You want to discuss facts, yet you are just agreeing with the call on the field.



    The way this is written, Brady had touched the ball with his left hand when he brought it back. By definition of this rule, it is a fumble. Semantics as to what constitutes a tuck, but if the player has "tucked" the ball into his body (can even be with one hand, 2 hands on the ball is a no-brainer), it is a tuck:



    Start a poll and see who thinks this is Brady throwing a pass? According to the rules at the time (which are no more as of 2013), FACTS dictate that this is a fumble.

    FACTS. Don't let FACTS cloud your judgement.

    In 2001, the league voted to remove the tuck rule from the NFL rulebook. Two teams abstained from voting. Can you guess one of the two?
    I'm going to explain this one more time.

    The rule was that once a players arm was going forward, even if he then tucked it away, it would be ruled an incomplete pass if it was knocked away. I can only guess but my sense is they were trying to make it easier for the refs. At what point as the QB's arm is going forward is the ref supposed to know if the QB is meaning to pass it or not?

    As an older fan, every time I see that play, including but not limited to that time, I leap up and yell "FUMBLE". Unfortunately for the Raiders on that day and all of the Tuckheads since, that play was called correctly. I've seen it plenty of times before and since.

  7. #87
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Really shouldnt leave the hampur but its pats week
    This explains your less-responsive-than-usual performance this week in the Hampur. So why do you hate the Seminole tribe?

  8. #88
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,995
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    I'm going to explain this one more time.

    The rule was that once a players arm was going forward, even if he then tucked it away, it would be ruled an incomplete pass if it was knocked away. I can only guess but my sense is they were trying to make it easier for the refs. At what point as the QB's arm is going forward is the ref supposed to know if the QB is meaning to pass it or not?

    As an older fan, every time I see that play, including but not limited to that time, I leap up and yell "FUMBLE". Unfortunately for the Raiders on that day and all of the Tuckheads since, that play was called correctly. I've seen it plenty of times before and since.
    I disagree with that interpretation of the rules. The rule actually says:

    NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.
    The bolded part is where we disagree. At what point in the play constitutes a "tuck". I submit that when his LEFT hand touches the football when it was close to his body, the ball was tucked - not attempting to tuck. Your definition of whether he was mid attempt or not is where we disagree.

    Was it a complete tuck? By your definition, if I attempt to throw a pass and never bring the ball back to my body, and someone knocks it out - then it is an incomplete pass. The "tuck" was completed. Fumble.

  9. #89
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,840
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    Don't bring facts into a football discussion.
    "he comes across" is not a FACT it's a perception

  10. #90
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    That's true, and it has been demonstrated repeatedly by the Ravens, Giants, Bengals and even the Jets.

    But this contradicts the main thesis of this thread. How is this allowed to happen if Brady has all these "special rules" protecting him?
    Oops.

  11. #91
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I don't know, but I feel the two are related. How is a defense allowed to excel vs the Patriots if the referees take matters into their own hands? If a team has a solid defense and is the strength of their team, and the referees take that away - then you have tipped the scales significantly. Whether it's on purpose or not.

    A way to eliminate all of this is to fine referees weekly for incorrect calls, and possibly suspensions if the calls pivot the game significantly, or decide the game. I'm pretty sure refs would get it right most of the time then.
    The refs are graded. That's how Walt Coleman, the greatest referee to ever don the stripes, was the lead guy in the Snow Bowl playoff game against Oakland.

    Speaking of the Raiders, I bet many of you don't know that the Raiders motto that they proudly wore from the 70's on, was, hold on... get ready... If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'. It's kind of funny to see them and their fans crying now. Is that classic stuff or what?

  12. #92
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

    Was it a complete tuck? By your definition, if I attempt to throw a pass and never bring the ball back to my body, and someone knocks it out - then it is an incomplete pass. The "tuck" was completed. Fumble.
    That is a good point, but to me it explains why the rule was idiotic and was properly repealed. There is no time limit on when the tuck is completed. The QB can literally sit there all day with the ball away from his body and he is effectively fumble-proof.

    The NFL rules distinguish elsewhere between "hands", "arms" and "body". In fact, I think the "illegal use of hands" penalty is described in the rules as "illegal use of hands, arms or body". So "body" in this context likely means "torso", i.e. not the hands or arms. So I tend to think it is just a dumb rule that was properly applied.

  13. #93
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtime Jets fan View Post
    Sorry - but "Roughing the Passer, #99" is burned into the psyche of every Jets fan. Simple fact - yes other teams have benefited from late, BLATANT, non-calls, but none more so than the NFL's "special teams" like the Brady Patriots. That headlock on the Saints player is not even remotely defensible, because the OL has BOTH arms locked around the guy's head. Not just 1 arm....BOTH arms. With hands/wrists clenched together.

    Last week's "missed safety" of Big Ben drives me nuts - because QBs are allowed to move heaven and earth to avoid a sack if they want to, but if a defender is trying to make a hit, and the QB sees it coming and just dumps the ball out of bounds, 99 out of 100, it's a roughing the passer BS call. Everyone has seen the gif of poor Terrell Suggs falling at the feet of Tom Brady, and the jackass starts hopping around on 1 foot yelling for a flag - and gets it.

    So do yourself a favor, and just leave this thread. This is a no-win for you and all the other Pats fans (on a Jets board??) trying to defend your team of cheaters.
    I'd rather come here and talk football with opposing fans, but there isn't as much of that here as there is crying like yours.

  14. #94
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Please. Go fck yourself already, troll. You are worse than Tx was. At least he had a sense of humor.
    Yup, there's another example of one of those civilized adults.

    Aishi.

  15. #95
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Goodell destroyed the evidence, all you need to know.

  16. #96
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Really what it comes own to is you boston fans have an inferiority complex when it comes to NY. Yankees in baseball and the Giants in football. Ill have to leave the jets out of it here. I mean the Giants beat you twice in the bowl that hurts that stings and and it runs deep because NY was on the helmet. In reality Boston is a glorified town not a city with people like matt damon ben affleck marky mark and tom brady as their poster boys. Its no wonder you're all a bunch of whiny little prissy *****es. Cant you go have your man love crushes on patriot boards.

    Isn't this your own sig line? It contradicts your post.

    A man with any character at all... must have enemies and places he is not welcome.

    Boston... City of Champions

  17. #97
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares if the Pats gets calls. That's beyond our control.

    What we can control is
    - stop making dumb challenges
    - managing your timeouts properly
    - stop calling dumb plays
    - blocking and tackling
    - stop throwing interceptions
    - catching the ball
    - throwing the ball accurately
    - playing proper technique

    All this other stuff is happy sauce. Richardson needs to STFU and hit Brady. Stop thinking about other ****.

  18. #98
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Not GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Here's a video that proves your point , and others that claim you can't hit Brady in the pocket and get away with it. See how he crumbles and watch the flags fly....

    Sorry, can't figure out how to embed... http://nfl.cpl.delvenetworks.com/pla...5cbb5813081324
    As I watched that I kept thinking that he looked just like Mark Sanchez, only not as tough. The only thing missing was seeing Brady pick his nose and wipe his booger off on another players shirt.

  19. #99
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    Oops.
    Pre "Brady Rules."


  20. #100
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Pre "Brady Rules."

    There would have been 12 flags if that happened to any qb today.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us