Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: FML... Water Heater Issue

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

FML... Water Heater Issue

Discovered last night our gas water heater has a small leak on the lower front side. Caught it in time before any water damage, just some shop vac-ing needed. Its pretty old since it was here before we moved in, so Im resigned to the fact its time to replace it. Im pretty handy, and have friends saying to DIY, but where there's water and gas involved, I usually defer to the experts. Starting to call around, but how much do you think it would cost for installation?

Is it better to buy it yourself and get a plumber to install it? Would they even do that (i.e. would they want to buy it themselves and mark it up?). Would going to a Home Depot/Lowes/etc. to buy and have them install get me bent over?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I am not a big fan of Gas hook ups, one small mistake and you blow up the whole house, and being that you are here asking us, it was nice knowing you.

If you are the least bit mechanical and know how to solder fittings you can change a water heater and you will save yourself the money of getting a plumber out, they normally charge $150.00 just to find the address. You can buy a water heater through Home Depot in the $200.00 range, you will pay a plumber $500.00.

You may want to look into the cost of changing over to Electric, I am not sure of the cost of fuel these days but it is less Maint, no venting and much safer. If you are the least bit uncomfortable, which you seem to be since you are asking hear on the Jets web site, I would seek help.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've replaced a dozen water heaters and never had a problem. You need pro dope for gas fittings. The gas pressure is 2lbs/ft. I've never had a gas leak but check with soapy water just in case.

I get my stuff from a plumbing supply as it is usually higher quality.

Buy everything ahead of time that the plumber might use. They get $150 for the 1st hr and $75/hr after that where I am.

The more time you save the plumber in doing the job the cheaper it is.
    Last edited by RMJK; 10-18-2013 at 01:51 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    And go tankless.

Never have to worry about leaks or worse.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't switch to electric - electricity costs more than gas.

DIY, then call the gas company out to check the connections for you. They should come out for free.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    And go tankless.

Never have to worry about leaks or worse.
    FYI
    Tankless can have leaks. The water has connections just like a regular water heater does. The gas line can also have a leak in it.

The benefit in tankless is the water gets hot only when you need hot water thereby saving energy;however, it costs so much more than a normal water tank that it takes up to 10 years to recoup the extra dollars.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    FYI
    Tankless can have leaks. The water has connections just like a regular water heater does. The gas line can also have a leak in it.

The benefit in tankless is the water gets hot only when you need hot water thereby saving energy;however, it costs so much more than a normal water tank that it takes up to 10 years to recoup the extra dollars.
    WTF do I know. It was in the house when I bought it and I just wanted to sound like I knew what I was talking about.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    How far are you sitting from the water heater?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    WTF do I know. It was in the house when I bought it and I just wanted to sound like I knew what I was talking about.
    Dude...quit bringing it from the second level.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

You're on your way. Proud of you fatass

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    Personally I am not a big fan of Gas hook ups, one small mistake and you blow up the whole house, and being that you are here asking us, it was nice knowing you.

If you are the least bit mechanical and know how to solder fittings you can change a water heater and you will save yourself the money of getting a plumber out, they normally charge $150.00 just to find the address. You can buy a water heater through Home Depot in the $200.00 range, you will pay a plumber $500.00.

You may want to look into the cost of changing over to Electric, I am not sure of the cost of fuel these days but it is less Maint, no venting and much safer. If you are the least bit uncomfortable, which you seem to be since you are asking hear on the Jets web site, I would seek help.
    Lmfao!

There is so much wrong with this post that there is literally no place to start. Lol @ gas blowing you up.

Lmfao!!!!

Lolololololol....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude.

Just change your water heater.

It's not that hard.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Lmfao!

There is so much wrong with this post that there is literally no place to start. Lol @ gas blowing you up.

Lmfao!!!!

Lolololololol....
    LOLOLOL I'm dyin here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If its a small leak, do what the Dutch boy did and stick your finger in a dike.

(just make sure she's not wearing a Pasts* jersey)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL....cool