Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Source: Yanks plot spending plan

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Source: Yanks plot spending plan

All I heard about was the catching depth we have in the minors, gary sanchez, austine romine etc, now we are going to throwv$$$ at a catcher? i dont know what happened to all the minor league pitching we were cultivating.....if they are going to spend $$$$ spend on pitching....buy garza chase after james shields.....

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=9845063

Source: Yanks plot spending plan
    Andrew Marchand [ARCHIVE]

ESPNNewYork.com | October 18, 2013
    NEW YORK -- While all the talk to begin the offseason is about the New York Yankees' desire to cut the team's yearly payroll to $189 million, the front office is devising a plan that could have them going on a $300 million shopping spree, sources have told ESPNNewYork.com.

The Yankees will begin their organization meetings Monday where they will settle on a strategy that they believe can cut payroll to $189 million while spending big on free agents.

The Yankees' initial main targets are expected to include their own Robinson Cano, Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka, Atlanta Braves catcher Brian McCann and St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, according to sources.

The possible outlay of $300 million or more in total salary is similar to the number commonly associated with the winter of 2008-9 when the Yankees spent $423 million on CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira and A.J. Burnett over the life of their multi-year contracts.

The Yankees think they can add at least two top free agents this winter and remain under team owner Hal Steinbrenner's goal of reducing the total salaries to less than $189 million. Steinbrenner has said he would like to reduce the team's luxury tax and revenue sharing number so he can reinvest the money into the Yankees instead of giving it to smaller markets.

Scott Halleran/Getty Images
    Among the keys to the Yankees' offseason plan would be to retain free agent second baseman Robinson Cano at an average salary between $20 million to $25 million.
    Here's how they can do it:

• A source said the Yankees are shedding around $85 million to $90 million in payroll from their 2013 numbers, which includes the salaries of retiring players Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte as well as Hiroki Kuroda, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Curtis Granderson becoming free agents. The Yankees have a strong interest in Kuroda returning and would be amenable to Granderson if he took the one-year qualifying offer.

• Derek Jeter has a player option that he can pick up that will drop his salary from $17 million to $9.5 million.

• Outfielders Vernon Wells and Alfonso Soriano will be paid nearly $44 million next season but only a fraction of it will be paid by the Yankees because of trade agreements with the Los Angeles Angels and the Chicago Cubs, respectively.

• If Alex Rodriguez's suspension is upheld, the Yankees would not be charged with the up-to-$31 million that he's due next season. Rodriguez's contract calls for $25 million, but can add an extra $6 million if he hits six more homers and ties Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time list with 660. The bonus would count toward the luxury tax.

The offseason spending begins with Cano. The Yankees want to retain him and know the bidding could go into the $180 million-$200 million range, maybe higher. If it does and they keep Cano, they will be two-thirds of the way to the $300 million mark.

The estimated amount of Cano's salary for 2014 would be in the $20-25 million range, which the Yankees believe would fall within the $189 million in total of salaries for next season.

Tanaka, the 24-year-old right-hander, would then become a key component of the Yankees' offseason plan, sources said. The team is expected to make a "strong bid," according to one official with knowledge of the team's thinking.

Tanaka, who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA in Japan last season, is expected to be posted this winter for major league teams to bid on. If the Yankees win the bidding -- which could be higher than Yu Darvish's $51.7 million -- the Yankees would then hope to sign Tanaka for close to the same deal that Darvish received from the Texas Rangers (six years, $10 million per season).

Yankees: Take 'Em or Trash 'Em?

The Bronx Bombers missed the playoffs for just the second time in 19 years.
    So who pays the price? Vote!

While it would almost definitely cost the Yankees more than $100 million in total money, the posting fee doesn't count against the Yankees salaries. So, in effect, the Yankees could replace Pettitte's $12 million salary with Tanaka's estimated $10 million for the sake of luxury tax.

A source said the Yankees realize that Tanaka, while making baseball sense, would also demonstrate Steinbrenner's stated goal to reinvest the savings from falling beneath the $189 million threshold.

While Cano and Tanaka appear to be the Yankees top two targets, they also have interest in McCann and Beltran, among others. McCann is the top catcher on the market and could land a deal in the range of five years and $75 million. A general manager told ESPN New York that he could see McCann receiving a contract for six years and $100 million because of his ability to transition to first base at the end of the deal.

The left-handed hitting McCann could replace the offense behind the plate that the Yankees lost when Russell Martin signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates last winter.

Beltran, who will be 37 at the start of next season, is completing a two-year, $26 million contract with St. Louis. Before he signed his seven-year, $118 million contract with the New York Mets in 2005, Beltran offered to take less money to go to the Bronx. The Yankees declined. Now, depending on how the offseason unfolds, he will be on their radar.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am hearing not to expect big spending from the Yankees anytime soon.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    I am hearing not to expect big spending from the Yankees anytime soon.
    Do you think it's a smokescreen?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beltran would be a nice signing, throw in some pitching , Grandy for one year, Cano for something reasonable -- 7 years ( he would balk at less)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    Beltran would be a nice signing, throw in some pitching , Grandy for one year, Cano for something reasonable -- 7 years ( he would balk at less)
    I don't think they will sign Cano. Beltran and Santana both possibilities.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tanaka is a must.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you actually look at the salaries instead of just making generalizations like the know-nothings in the media the Yankees can spend money on a couple FAs this off-season in addition to resigning Cano - and that's without Arod getting a lifetime ban which is absolutely not going to happen he may not even get more than a 100 game suspension. McCann is a very good offensive Catcher who bats lefty which means he'd be even better in Yankee Stadium than the Grand Canyon Turner Field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Tanaka is a must.
    Hopefully he's the real deal and not another Kei Igawa or Hideki Irabu. Yankees need an ace CC is no longer an ace he's a decent 3rd starter this point of his career and Kuroda needs to be the 4th or 5th starter next season to avoid exhausting his arm two months of the season like what happened this year.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0E&output=html

these folks have the Yankees at $ 84 million. But Soriano isn't listed

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...LQ&output=html

Ok, these guys say $89 million with Soriano

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign Shin-Soo Choo. He could be a excellent RF for us for the next 5-6 years. Guy hits from the left, maybe able to have a 30+ HR season at Yankee stadium. But the main thing is he can hit .300 and last season he had a .423 OBP. Guy gets on base and he is a excellent defensive player in RF.

If we can't get him, I wouldn't mind Beltran for a 2 year deal. I wanted him the last time he was a FA.

I don't mind going after the Japanese pitcher, he has nice stuff and is young. Idk if hes Darvish though. But he wouldn't cost much towards the salary, the posting fee doesn't count.

I don't think hes a wise investment, but I can definitely see the Yankees signing Brian McCann. We are so bad at the position that I can see them spending more to get an all star.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Sign Shin-Soo Choo. He could be a excellent RF for us for the next 5-6 years. Guy hits from the left, maybe able to have a 30+ HR season at Yankee stadium. But the main thing is he can hit .300 and last season he had a .423 OBP. Guy gets on base and he is a excellent defensive player in RF.

If we can't get him, I wouldn't mind Beltran for a 2 year deal. I wanted him the last time he was a FA.

I don't mind going after the Japanese pitcher, he has nice stuff and is young. Idk if hes Darvish though. But he wouldn't cost much towards the salary, the posting fee doesn't count.

I don't think hes a wise investment, but I can definitely see the Yankees signing Brian McCann. We are so bad at the position that I can see them spending more to get an all star.
    I agree on Choo, want him too, but I don't know what makes you think he's a good defensive player. Below average, but you can live with that in right

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Choo, have for years, but we have Gardner, Wells, Ichiro, and Soriano (I think I aged 10 years just typing those names) under contract next season. I guess they could be part time players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I agree on Choo, want him too, but I don't know what makes you think he's a good defensive player. Below average, but you can live with that in right
    He's good in right, not so good in center.