Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: St John's basketball....

St John's basketball....

any Redmen fans?? I'm heading to the game tonight, & hoping Rysheed Jordan will be off suspension...I have high hopes for this season-

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Not a huge fan, and not an alum, but I have rooted for St John's hoops since I was little, before Chris Mullin was a freshman. Waiting for Lavin to make something happen, but it doesn't seem to be happening....

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Not a huge fan, and not an alum, but I have rooted for St John's hoops since I was little, before Chris Mullin was a freshman. Waiting for Lavin to make something happen, but it doesn't seem to be happening....
    It just seems like St. John's really never found the right coach after Carnesecca, Jarvis was pretty good and got St. Johns back to the tournament a few times. But, it seems like they are totally unable to bring the top tier NYC talent and if they can't get that, they will be mediocre at best. I know they are still in the "Big East", but it doesn't really seem the same anymore.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    It just seems like St. John's really never found the right coach after Carnesecca, Jarvis was pretty good and got St. Johns back to the tournament a few times. But, it seems like they are totally unable to bring the top tier NYC talent and if they can't get that, they will be mediocre at best. I know they are still in the "Big East", but it doesn't really seem the same anymore.
    Jarvis took Fracsilla's recruits to the Elite Eight, but pretty much destroyed the program soon after. Roberts was a nice guy but way in over his head. I really had high hopes for a renaissance with Lavin, but the illness obviously has been a factor. But the biggest impact to why St John's has never been the same since Louie is UCONN. They basically stole all the NY kids who would have likely gone to St Johns over the past 20 years. They are the new hometown team.

And Uconn looks like they have a good squad this year, too...either way this is the year Lavin has to make things happen w the Johnnies. They have a deep, talented group...5-2 to start the year, with their first msg game coming up this Sat vs Fordham. NY could certainly use a decent team to root for this winter.

Look out for Jakaar Sampson, last years Big East rookie of the yr...he is developing nicely, and grew afew inches to 6ft 9 since they signed him.

A 46 point win over Fordham and the first time the Johnnies have hit the century mark since '99......

Next Sunday Dec 15th vs the #4 ranked Syracuse Orangemen will be a huge test

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    A 46 point win over Fordham and the first time the Johnnies have hit the century mark since '99......

Next Sunday Dec 15th vs the #4 ranked Syracuse Orangemen will be a huge test
    It's really a shame that this isn't a conference game anymore.

It's really a shame that this isn't a conference game anymore.

I hate moral victories, but a 5 pt loss in a very exciting game..in an almost sold-out MSG, to the #2 ranked team in the country- counts as one!

the Johnnies will be a top 25 team this year

The Johnnies are now 8-3 after taking down Youngstown St this afternoon. They will be the only team worth watching in the metropolitan area this winter....they'll crack the top 25 very soon IMO !

The Johnnies are now 8-3 after taking down Youngstown St this afternoon. They will be the only team worth watching in the metropolitan area this winter....they'll crack the top 25 very soon IMO !
    Meh. Beating YOungstown St by 9, at home, isn't really anything

Meh. Beating YOungstown St by 9, at home, isn't really anything

Duke beat the univ of Vermont by 1 point afew weeks ago. There have been plenty of early season close calls with ranked teams barely getting past no-name programs. The point is they won, and Youngstown isn't too bad this year. It's all about getting to 20 wins and making the NCAA tourney!

Johnnies dispose of Columbia yesterday...now 9-3 heading into Big East play, which starts at Xavier, tues night. 20 wins gets them n the NCAA's

Johnnies dispose of Columbia yesterday...now 9-3 heading into Big East play, which starts at Xavier, tues night. 20 wins gets them n the NCAA's
    It's not the old Big East, but a lot of solid teams in there, tough start, going to Xavier, but those kinds of games (winning At Creighton, Georgetown, Butler) will have to happen to get to 20.

The problem with the new Big East is that they went 3-15 against the RPI top 25 in pre-conference play. It looks like, in general, the Big East played a tough non-conference schedule which should help. But Ultimately, it's hard to see big east getting more than 4 teams in.

They are a young team, so I wouldn't be surprised to see very inconsistent play early on, some upset wins coupled with bad losses, and settle down as the season goes on. Ultimately, I see about 17-18 wins and a NIT bid, with a little luck they'll get most of the team back next year and make a real run. I'd love for them to make some noise and raise up their visibility in the NYC market.
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 01-02-2014 at 12:29 PM.

It's not the old Big East, but a lot of solid teams in there, tough start, going to Xavier, but those kinds of games (winning At Creighton, Georgetown, Butler) will have to happen to get to 20.

The problem with the new Big East is that they went 3-15 against the RPI top 25 in pre-conference play. It looks like, in general, the Big East played a tough non-conference schedule which should help. But Ultimately, it's hard to see big east getting more than 4 teams in.

They are a young team, so I wouldn't be surprised to see very inconsistent play early on, some upset wins coupled with bad losses, and settle down as the season goes on. Ultimately, I see about 17-18 wins and a NIT bid, with a little luck they'll get most of the team back next year and make a real run. I'd love for them to make some noise and raise up their visibility in the NYC market.
    Agreed! Rysheed Jordan, the freshman pg, is worth watching...he's got all the skills, was philly area HS basketball player of the year 2 yrs in a row, the #17 overall prospect coming out of HS in the nation (McDonalds all American)

I was at the Cuse game a few weeks ago....MSG was almost entirely sold out, and the place was rockin. The Johnnies had them too...just couldn't execute in the last few mins, plus Cuse's all world fwd CJ Fair, hit 2 3 pointers with a man in his face down the stretch. That kid can play.

agreed...

Ouch.......SJU got smoked by Gtown

Season got dark in a hurry for St. Johns. Losing 2 winnable games by 2 and in double OT... Pretty much doomed them already. They would need to go about 9-4 and then do damage in the Big East tournament to have a prayer. They only have one win against a big 6 conference

Season got dark in a hurry for St. Johns. Losing 2 winnable games by 2 and in double OT... Pretty much doomed them already. They would need to go about 9-4 and then do damage in the Big East tournament to have a prayer. They only have one win against a big 6 conference
    Agreed but 3 in a row has them at least with some hope. Next sat at MSG vs Marquette should be a good one. Lavin has recd a lot of deserved criticism.....I was at the Providence ot loss..disaster! Anyway, glad they've won 2 in the big east anyway.

Had Redmen season tickets from 1971 until 2004. Saw the good and the awful.
    Still love them, I am an alumni.
    Steve Lavin can recruit my for my team anyday but he can't coach worth a damn.
    How many times do I need to watch his team have a strong half either first or second and
    not show up for the other one.
    Almost never makes halftime adjustments and gets outcoached frequently.
    This team has maybe 3 NBA players on the roster and looks like a high school team.
    They were lucky to hold on against Seton Hall and Willard totally outcoached Lavin.
    Should have beat Columbia by 20 especially at Carnesecca but were lucky to win.

Amazing what two brutal in-conference losses will do to a season. If they find a way to beat Providence/Depaul, they are 15-7 and 5-4 in conference and still got a realistic shot at the NCAA tournament without having to catch fire. Instead, they still need to finish 7-2 and win at least 2 conference tournament games to get to 22-12.
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 02-04-2014 at 10:52 AM.