Thread: Cruz Is Unapologetic as Republicans Criticize Shutdown

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

Cruz Is Unapologetic as Republicans Criticize Shutdown

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...-shutdown.html

Senator Ted Cruz, the Texas Republican who was among the architects of the 16-day partial federal government shutdown, remained unrepentant as senior members of his party criticized his tactics in fighting Obamacare.

Asked on ABC’s “This Week” if he would support another government shutdown unless the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 is defunded, Cruz said yesterday he “would do anything, and I will continue to do anything I can, to stop the train wreck that is Obamacare.”

The entire effort “was a fool’s errand to start with,” Senator John McCain, an Arizona Republican and former presidential contender, said on CNN’s “State of the Union” yesterday. He said the shutdown aimed at blocking President Barack Obama’s signature health-care law hurt the Republican brand. “The question is, how deep and how long?”

Lawmakers reached an agreement Oct. 16 to open the government, which had been partly shuttered since Oct. 1 as Congress failed to compromise on the fiscal 2014 budget and raising the amount the U.S. can borrow. The deal funds the government through Jan. 15 and suspends the debt limit through Feb. 7, setting the stage for another possible showdown.

While strife over the budget and debt ceiling unsettled some investors, U.S. stocks rose last week, sending the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index to a record as Congress reached the budget deal and speculation grew that the Federal Reserve will maintain monetary stimulus. Treasuries gained for the first time in three weeks.

Conflict Ahead

Markets could face further uncertainty from Washington. Lawmakers are aiming to produce a budget compromise by Dec. 13, setting the stage for more conflict over taxes and spending on programs such as Social Security and Medicare.

The shutdown shaved at least 0.6 percentage point from the U.S. economic growth rate this quarter, Standard & Poor’s said on Oct. 16. Americans in October were the most pessimistic about the nation’s economic prospects in almost two years, according to the Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index.

“There will not be another government shutdown,” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, said on CBS’s “Face the Nation” program yesterday. “You can count on that.”

Jeb Bush, the Republican former governor of Florida and a possible Republican presidential candidate in 2016, told ABC’s “This Week” yesterday that “tactically, it was a mistake to focus on something that couldn’t be achieved.”

Bush also said Obamacare would have proven itself not to work, and that the push to defund may have “crowded out” the problems it is now encountering. Online policy marketplaces launched this month have been fraught with technical glitches.

Rose Garden Address

President Obama will address the issues with a speech in the Rose Garden today at 11:25 a.m. in Washington, according to a White House statement. Almost half a million applications were submitted nationwide through the state and federal marketplaces, according to the e-mailed statement.

As the Democratic administration deals with getting the health-care law up and running, Republicans’ favorability was at a record low of 28 percent, down 10 percentage points from the previous month and 15 percent below Democrats, according to a Gallup poll conducted Oct. 3-6.

Hillary Clinton, a potential Democratic presidential nominee in 2016, alluded to the 16-day stalemate over the weekend while speaking at a rally in support of family friend Terry McAuliffe, who is running for Virginia governor in the Nov. 5 election.

“When politicians choose scorched earth over common ground, when they operate in what I call the ‘evidence-free zone,’ with ideology trumping everything else, we’ve seen that families in Virginia and across the country have felt the consequences,” Clinton said to the crowd in Falls Church, a suburb of Washington.

“We need to make sure that government does not go through another round of brinkmanship,” Treasury Secretary Jacob J. Lew said yesterday on NBC’s “Meet the Press” program.

To contact the reporter on this story: Jeanna Smialek in Washington at jsmialek1@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Steven Komarow at skomarow1@bloomberg.net

Jets Insider VIP
    Good. Glad to see someone with balls out there for once.

He was elected for just that reason. Wow he stood by his principles.

Hall Of Fame
    LOL. He is one of the few guys in Washington with some backbone. Its a shame that a man of principle has no chance at becoming President these days b.c I think he would make a great one.

$17T in debt and people are acting like Cruz is the bad guy. Can't make this stuff up. Keep being bots and eat up all the sh*t the MSM forces down your throat. Tea Party is evil b.c they are upset we are spending ourselves into oblivion.

Love that the party is getting younger and more fiscally conservative.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL. He is one of the few guys in Washington with some backbone. Its a shame that a man of principle has no chance at becoming President these days b.c I think he would make a great one.

$17T in debt and people are acting like Cruz is the bad guy. Can't make this stuff up. Keep being bots and eat up all the sh*t the MSM forces down your throat. Tea Party is evil b.c they are upset we are spending ourselves into oblivion.

Love that the party is getting younger and more fiscally conservative.
    +1

Hearing the left weigh in on this lately is too much.

For all the things they've been most critical of establishment Republicans, they suddenly support in them. Should speak volumes to most, but people are far to stupid to think for themselves these days.

Jets Insider VIP
    http://www.kristv.com/news/rep-faren...nt-shutdown/#_

We asked him about the people who say he's lost their vote; people like retired veterans who were on the verge of losing their disability checks next month.

He said the stalemate in Washington was necessary to achieve party goals.

"I feel like my mandate when I was elected was to go reduce the size of government, lower taxes, and increase freedom, and freedom isn't free, and sometimes you have to make a small sacrifice to move forward with what you're after," Congressman Farenthold said.

Yeah, guys. Sacrifice. Like me. I haven't had a hoagie in like 14 hours...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post

Yeah, guys. Sacrifice. Like me. I haven't had a hoagie in like 14 hours...
    WTF??? A Hoagie? Thats right, you live in western NY where wings are a delicacy. They are fukkin HERO's NOT Hoagies.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    WTF??? A Hoagie? Thats right, you live in western NY where wings are a delicacy. They are fukkin HERO's NOT Hoagies.
    Leave PK alone

Grinder = Sub = Hero = Wedge (Bronx/Westchester/Fairfield) = Hoagie (Phila.) = Po Boy (NOLA)

Where he dwells, Beef On Weck (although not a Hero) is another delicious sandwich favorite

Article and Thread Title start by assuming Ted Cruz is SUPPOSED to be "apologetic" or "repentant" over doing what he belives in and fighting for what he believes in via the Constitutional tools at his (and his like-minded party brethrens) disposal?

I would say thats a false starting point assumption.

Kinda like saying "MLK Unrepentant and Unapologetic for March on Washington".

Really? Well duh, of course he's unrepentant and unapologetic.

Next up in overstated obvious news, water unrepentant and unapologetic for being wet!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Article and Thread Title start by assuming Ted Cruz is SUPPOSED to be "apologetic" or "repentant" over doing what he belives in and fighting for what he believes in via the Constitutional tools at his (and his like-minded party brethrens) disposal?

I would say thats a false starting point assumption.

Kinda like saying "MLK Unrepentant and Unapologetic for March on Washington".

Really? Well duh, of course he's unrepentant and unapologetic.

Next up in overstated obvious news, water unrepentant and unapologetic for being wet!
    By design, old friend.

Any opinion that differs from that of the political establishment will be attacked/dismissed as illegitimate.

Karl Rove and Nancy Pelosi are on the same page. End of story.

Jets Insider VIP
    I heard the political pundits discussing the repercussions of the shutdown and they said they will lose at least 12 seats in the house due to this unless the do something to offset the damage. What can that be. A grand bargain?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Leave PK alone

Grinder = Sub = Hero = Wedge (Bronx/Westchester/Fairfield) = Hoagie (Phila.) = Po Boy (NOLA)

Where he dwells, Beef On Weck (although not a Hero) is another delicious sandwich favorite
    Beef on weck sucks IMO. I went to college in Buffalo so I know, I was just breaking his balls.

Jets Insider VIP
    "with ideology trumping everything else, we’ve seen that families in Virginia and across the country have felt the consequences,” Clinton said to the crowd in Falls Church, a suburb of Washington.

The ironing of any Democrap saying this is off the ****in scale. really.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I heard the political pundits discussing the repercussions of the shutdown and they said they will lose at least 12 seats in the house due to this unless the do something to offset the damage. What can that be. A grand bargain?
    GOP won't be losing any significant seats, and have a good shot in Taking the Senate, for one reason. Democrat voters don't care about midterms and never show up.

All Pro
    Beef on weck sucks IMO. I went to college in Buffalo so I know, I was just breaking his balls.
    No it don't. You just went to the wrong weck wendor.

Jets Insider VIP
    Never had beef on weck. Sounds horrible.

Besides, where is that sh*t sold in Fred? The White Inn?? lolz

Whatever happens happens...but the Ted Cruz is my ****ing hero.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Never had beef on weck. Sounds horrible.

Besides, where is that sh*t sold in Fred? The White Inn?? lolz
    I ate it at the college cafeteria.....

Jets Insider VIP
    I ate it at the college cafeteria.....
    You must have an iron stomach!

Best food in this sh*thole area are the pierogies the old Polish chicks make at the local Elks Lodge.