Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hill for Offensive Pass Interference?!?!?!?!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    the call against Gronk was more questionable
    D'what? That was the text book definition of a pick. It wasn't even close to being questionable. When I watched a replay of it in slo motion, I almost expected Harris to be knocked on his arse.

Undrafted Free Agent
    In slow motion it looked like there was no real contact and if there was it was a 'ticky tacky' call. But, in full speed from the viewpoint that the official had, it appeared to be a blatant PI. I think it was a bad call, but I cannot blame the official for it.

Dobson pushed off on Cro on that incomplete deep pass and the refs swallowed their whistle.

Call me crazy, but i was happy with the penalty. If Hill doesn't push off, that looks like a INT.

typical patriots move

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If Hill knew how to use his arms to catch the ball than he would have reached up for the pass rather than push off of the DB. He tried to create separation to help him with his body catch. We saw this on a couple of passes yesterday, Hill does not react/adjust to the ball well and that is what will keep him from becoming a great WR.
    Noticed this as well. He never extends his arm to grab the ball at its highest point, just lets it fall into his chest. Hopefully we can get a Lee type WR in the draft who can make the big play for his QB

Hall Of Fame
    It was the right call. He barely pushed him and the guy deserves an Oscar, but the right call.

I couldn't see the TV during the play or replay, but from what i remember from the sound coming out of the TV, the commentator said that the defender did a great acting performance.

but who cares. another call ended up going our way.

hill didn't move mcourty with his hands and mcourty was already overplaying and headed there. The judge behind the play called that and that's not the best view. He couldn't tell what the push did all he seen was arms extended and Mcourty leap away from Hill. I always say this .. there should be another ref in the NFL ... just add 1 more that is deep center .... let the other ref's in front and left and right see what they see and consult with him when things are questionable or they don't have the best view. It would make all these things easier. Its not like the NFL can't afford it. Lord knows we need it ... there's too much money involved, too much contact, variables, and too many players involved. Add 1 more ref and hell .. maybe even have him consult from the booth. Who cares .. the whole thing the NFL wants to do is get the calls right. There you go ..

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    +1

It was a bad call. Hill barely touched him, never extended his arms, and McCourty's momentum was already taking him out of the play.
    Exactly how I saw it. Bad call but hard to blame the ref with the angle he had. Hill's arm on McCourty as momentum carried him out of the play could of looked like Off PI. Replay clearly shows it was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Hill pushed off and by the book that is a penalty.

Five times a game for every game of the season by every team receivers push off and do not get called. If they are going to call that rule more closely they better start doing it consistently.
    Just watched the game on NFL replay today and he really didn't push off. It was a superb flop by the DB that made it seem that way. In slow mo you can see that Hill absolutely does NOT push off. Should have been a TD but hard for a ref to see that there was not push off w/o seeing a replay.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Call me crazy, but i was happy with the penalty. If Hill doesn't push off, that looks like a INT.
    +1. I don't get this "acting" claims. McCourtey was in position to make an interception, watching the ball all the way. And then what - people think he suddenly just took a dive instead of trying to catch the ball???

If you think he spontaneously lost his balance and mis-jumped - fine, that's possible, but that's not acting. If you think he *intentionally* jumped out of the way to try to get a call, where he could have just stayed there and at least broke up the play or gotten an INT - you're insane.

Look, we all saw one super slo-mo replay where it looked like he barely touched him, though it was at least enough to push him off balance. Live, we all thought the pass was going to get picked, until McCourtey suddenly flew off to the side. While that might not always get called - it was absolutely a reasonable call.

Don't worry. Refs made up for it in OT.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I saw the play a few more times today on NFL network and re watched it on nfl game rewind.....I change my first statement....it was a bad call.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Disagree..... the DB jumped back to make a play. Almost NO Contact there.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    refs did not make up for anything....the patriots penalty was a blatant violation of the NFL rule....heck even belichick came back today and said he was wrong about saying it was the wrong call. What happened was the refs got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Don't worry. Refs made up for it in OT.

Didn't even think it was a questionable call on gameday. Just watched it about 50 times on rewind. Still don't think it's even categorized as a questionable call.

It was the equivalent of a loose ball foul in basketball.

I know that was OPI for 2 reasons:

1) I was awesome at pushing off for offensive rebounds without getting caught. You don't need to extend your arms if you're riding the guy as he's trying to establish position (sorry for the choice of words), your momentum does the work. McCourtey has position to go up for the ball and is slowing down while preparing to jump. The light shove is the reason he goes flying in the manner he does. Anyone who thinks that was a flop has never been knocked off balance as they're about to jump while on the run. It was an excellent pushoff, and Hill would have gotten away with it on many occasions, but this time he was caught.

2) Hill didn't celebrate like a guy that had just caught a clean TD. He tried to act upset later, but was unconvincing.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    +1. I don't get this "acting" claims. McCourtey was in position to make an interception, watching the ball all the way. And then what - people think he suddenly just took a dive instead of trying to catch the ball???

If you think he spontaneously lost his balance and mis-jumped - fine, that's possible, but that's not acting. If you think he *intentionally* jumped out of the way to try to get a call, where he could have just stayed there and at least broke up the play or gotten an INT - you're insane.

Look, we all saw one super slo-mo replay where it looked like he barely touched him, though it was at least enough to push him off balance. Live, we all thought the pass was going to get picked, until McCourtey suddenly flew off to the side. While that might not always get called - it was absolutely a reasonable call.
    You can't use logic in a football discussion.