Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 318

Thread: Jets trading for Josh Gordon?

  1. #121
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just for the fun of it, I would trade a 3rd & Powell for Josh Gordon. Then I'd offer our 1st, 2nd, 3rd & conditional 1st 2015 for Adrian Peterson.
    Geno, Peterson, Gordon, Hill & Kerley!

  2. #122
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    that trade for Peterson might be the nuttiest in recent memory if that happen.....the jets have 12 picks in 2014 and in this league running back by committee is the way to go. Peterson had his second game in a row of less than 50 yards rushing. To give up a 1st 2nd and 3rd and a conditional for a back who is NOT getting better and who has been below average in 2013 would be madness. The days or mortgaging the future for a running back are gone....thank GOD you don't make decisions for the Jets lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Just for the fun of it, I would trade a 3rd & Powell for Josh Gordon. Then I'd offer our 1st, 2nd, 3rd & conditional 1st 2015 for Adrian Peterson.
    Geno, Peterson, Gordon, Hill & Kerley!

  3. #123
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Just for the fun of it, I would trade a 3rd & Powell for Josh Gordon. Then I'd offer our 1st, 2nd, 3rd & conditional 1st 2015 for Adrian Peterson.
    Geno, Peterson, Gordon, Hill & Kerley!
    RBs are not the same after a 2000 yard season. I wouldn't trade any SINGLE high pick for Peterson much less 4. That would be one of the dumbest all time trades.

  4. #124
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Funniest thing is that they are bigging up Gordon based upon NOT a large body of work......not sure how Gordon has suddenly become a top 5 WR. People on this board takes the hype bait pretty much every time. They were pissed that the jets did not get tavon Austin or sharif Floyd.....how are they working out for the rams-Vikings. I have total confidence in the wise moves the jets have made. they bring in Nelson and look what he is already doing....they draft a 1st round talent in Geno in the 2nd round. If he was to not work out it would not look as bad as if e.j. manuel does not work out. After 7 games Geno is already looking like the real deal. The 2013 jets have made much more good moves than bad ones. Even unloading Quinn and bringing back Garrard was smart.
    Not buying hype or saying he is a top 5 WR, but from what the eye test says from last season and so far this season, he has big time ability, #1 ability. Regarding Austin, I was never a fan of the Jets drafting him. I said why draft a slot WR in the top 10, when IMO we already have one of the NFL's best slot wr's in Kerley.

    And this report isn't just coming out of thin air, Adam Schefter reported today that 3 teams inquired about trading for Gordon and then other rumors came out that the Jets were one of them, so this would be an Idzik move, not a fan move.

    We have a young QB with a lot of potential and adding a great WR talent would only help him reach that potential. With Gordon as the number 1, Hill the 2, Kerley the slot and Nelson the 4 and draft another WR in the mid rounds and maybe a guy like Eric Ebron at TE in the 1st, now you have a nucleus for a potentially very potent offense.

  5. #125
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,849
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gates and a #5 for Gordon

  6. #126
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    that trade for Peterson might be the nuttiest in recent memory if that happen.....the jets have 12 picks in 2014 and in this league running back by committee is the way to go. Peterson had his second game in a row of less than 50 yards rushing. To give up a 1st 2nd and 3rd and a conditional for a back who is NOT getting better and who has been below average in 2013 would be madness. The days or mortgaging the future for a running back are gone....thank GOD you don't make decisions for the Jets lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    RBs are not the same after a 2000 yard season. I wouldn't trade any SINGLE high pick for Peterson much less 4. That would be one of the dumbest all time trades.
    Some people don't understand random sarcasm. I don't even think we're going to get Gordon. I said just for fun.

  7. #127
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SI NY
    Posts
    1,065
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Some people don't understand random sarcasm. I don't even think we're going to get Gordon. I said just for fun.
    LOL you got piled on there.

    I was gonna make a fake Calvin Johnson trade up for fun but I guess I'll keep it to myself!

  8. #128
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    You make some good points....I will say with 12 picks the jets can be flexible.....the highest I would go would be one of the our number 3's though.


    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Not buying hype or saying he is a top 5 WR, but from what the eye test says from last season and so far this season, he has big time ability, #1 ability. Regarding Austin, I was never a fan of the Jets drafting him. I said why draft a slot WR in the top 10, when IMO we already have one of the NFL's best slot wr's in Kerley.

    And this report isn't just coming out of thin air, Adam Schefter reported today that 3 teams inquired about trading for Gordon and then other rumors came out that the Jets were one of them, so this would be an Idzik move, not a fan move.

    We have a young QB with a lot of potential and adding a great WR talent would only help him reach that potential. With Gordon as the number 1, Hill the 2, Kerley the slot and Nelson the 4 and draft another WR in the mid rounds and maybe a guy like Eric Ebron at TE in the 1st, now you have a nucleus for a potentially very potent offense.

  9. #129
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street View Post
    LOL you got piled on there.

    I was gonna make a fake Calvin Johnson trade up for fun but I guess I'll keep it to myself!
    Lol

  10. #130
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    Well the report mentioned that there were offers with players and picks involved, so guesstimating as to who we could possibly offer up at this point that makes sense for both teams. A second plus Powell is overkill IMO, because that makes us too weak at RB because Ivory will get hurt. Simms has some value, especially as a backup because he does have the arm to make all the throws and I think that's half the battle. Obviously hasn't played in any meaningful games, but just scouting wise, the talent is there. It's the accuracy that we don't know about and is the biggest question mark. But as with anything QB related, even a semblance of hope has value, and he'll be cheap on the cap. He may or may not amount to much, but he is someone that did show some development from one year to the other and beat out an ok backup QB candidate in McElroy. I think Sims is maybe 5th round value given, youth, position, salary and need of the Browns. But that could be the equivalent of offering a 3rd and a 5th rd pick, instead we offer a 3rd and Sims. Why it works for the Browns? They get to try out Sims this year, and see if he can cut it or not, and then go from there.

    If Goodson wasn't hurt, I could very well see Powell being involved, but with him out, I just don't know if we take that shot. But I wouldn't cry a river if they did deal him, but I wouldn't also give up a second. A second straight up would be pretty much the highest I would be willing to go, and even that is very reluctantly. I think if teams were offering a second round pick, Gordon already would've been dealt by now, but I think the Browns cave in for a 3rd and something. But we'll see I guess, because at this point it's all speculation.
    I think you are way over valuing Simms. The Bills traded a non descript special teams player to the Lions for Thad Lewis. And at least Lewis started one game in the NFL and performed pretty well. He went 22-32 204 yards with a td and an Int against the Steelers while playing for the Browns. It's basically swapping 7th round picks. There is no way the Jets would ever get more in return for Simms who hasn't played a down in a real NFL game. You bring up his arm strength as his biggest asset but 32 teams passed over him in the draft based on his overall talent and what they feel his ceiling is. Why would anyone then give up a 5th round pick for him when they can more then likely get a QB with more upside with that same pick in the draft?

  11. #131
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a WR... Most people on this board want to draft a WR with the first pick in the draft.
    Wasn't very familiar with this kid, but that vid posted, he looks pretty damned good!
    Cleveland is not getting a 1st rounder... So it would essentially be like getting him for a 2nd tops, more likely a 3rd and a player?
    If Simms is the player and our 3rd, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal for both sides, THEN we still have possibly the first pick in the 3rd still!

    Sounds like a good deal to me, but I'm not believing anything based on Incarcerated Bob only. Until Schefter confirms the teams involved.

    That does look like it would be pretty potent tho, with Hill, Kerley, and Nelson. I wouldn't trade Powell. Not unless it were him and a 5th. But trading Powell would seem a bit reckless to me.
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 10-22-2013 at 03:20 AM.

  12. #132
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Im not saying he is bad but he isnt a top WR in the league right now. People are acting like he had 1200 yards last year. He is very much still unproven. He has upside but is also a high risk. If a team in dire need of a play maker like Cleveland is trying to move him how good can he really be? People are over hyping him and he hasnt done much in this league. Very few WRs are worth a 1st rounder in trade. Some people have drooled over average talent like Harvin and Maclin saying the same thing. We already have a few good WRs I dont see the plus in throwing away high picks on an unproven guy
    But yet you want to use a first round pick on an unproven WR in next years draft? He had 50 catches and 800 yds and 5 tds as a rookie last year. With Gordons numbers right now this season with below average QB's throwing him the ball his numbers would translate into 80 catches, 1440 yards 6 tds 16.7 ypc over the course of a 16 game season. He's producing at an elite level with below average QB's. He could do wonders for this offense.
    Last edited by Choon328; 10-22-2013 at 03:28 AM.

  13. #133
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I think you are way over valuing Simms. The Bills traded a non descript special teams player to the Lions for Thad Lewis. And at least Lewis started one game in the NFL and performed pretty well. He went 22-32 204 yards with a td and an Int against the Steelers while playing for the Browns. It's basically swapping 7th round picks. There is no way the Jets would ever get more in return for Simms who hasn't played a down in a real NFL game. You bring up his arm strength as his biggest asset but 32 teams passed over him in the draft based on his overall talent and what they feel his ceiling is. Why would anyone then give up a 5th round pick for him when they can more then likely get a QB with more upside with that same pick in the draft?
    Well he got passed over because he was actually horribly inaccurate as a passer in college. Living in TN forced me to watch some of his games, and they were brutal. He had the arm, but he was like Josh Freeman out there, just throwing it to nowhere almost. But apparently he's better now, looked much better in the preseason and camp than people expected. He was an afterthought on making the team, but he has potential though. I believe Thad Lewis was on the practice squad of the Bills, so if anyone really wanted him, they could've had him. We refrained from trying to put Sims on the practice squad most likely because we knew that he would be plucked off so I think he has more value than Thad Lewis. It's upside at the right time though. Look what SD got for Charlie Whitehurst. Or how much people love Matt Flynn.

    It's also about timing, yeah, you can get a QB with upside in the 5th, but that also means he's less likely to be ready to play (ala say Nassib this year or Barkley- who looked horrible) so then you have to wait for the guy to develop another year or so. So then, you are talking what, 2016 when the guy starts? By then, it's Year 3 of the regime, and people want to see results. With Sims, you have this year to evaluate him as a QB, and then that lets you make decisions for next year's draft. Do you go after a top tier QB ala say Mariotta or do you go somewhere else and take a project like say Stephen Morris later in the draft, knowing Sims can atleast be adequate. And they would still have Hoyer. At this point, I'd assume, the Browns realize that Bridgewater is probably too far out for them, and most likely Mariotta. So why not take a shot at a backup that could be somewhat useful, and cheap. And for a 5th rd value, you don't really have to wait to see if there is a return on your investment. If Sims fails, he's their backup, just like he's our backup, and still be on the roster.

    All this is probably just all talk, and they could be talking about someone else for all we know. But I think Sims value is around a 5th mainly because of youth, money, and position. He has upside, and he seemed to be correcting his main problem, which was accuracy. Any trade with Sims involved for Gordon would include a pick that has more value than Sims, most likely a 3rd, so I think he could be someone that gets a 5th rd value.

    These are some guys that were picked between the 4th and 6th rounds from 2012 (I left out this year because it's too early) on backwards:

    2012: Ryan Lindley- Backup in Arizona, barely made roster
    2011: Ricky Stanzi- PS for Jags, TJ Yates- Backup in Houston and horrible enough that UDFA Casey Keenum went past him, Nathan Enderle- Not even on a team, and Tyrod Taylor- backup in Baltimore.
    2010: Mike Kafka- Not on any team, John Skelton- backup in Arizona last year, not on a team right now, Jonathan Crompton- I believe PS for RedSkins, Rusty Smith- was on PS, called up by Titans to be backup when Locker got hurt, Dan LeFevour- Playing in the CFL, Joe Webb- Converted to WR for Vikings, and Tony Pike- Not with a team
    2009: Stephen McGee- CFL, Rhett Bhomar- Not on a team, Nate Davis- Indoor League?, Tom Brandstater- Not with a team, Mike Teel- coach in college, Keith Null- Not on a team, Curtis Painter- Backup with Giants.
    2008; Dennis Dixon- On the Bills PS, Josh Johnson- Backup in Cincy, Eric Ainge- We know about him, Colt Brennan- Not with a team, Andre Woodson- Not with a team.

    So my whole point here is that, a break even point for a mid round QB seems to be a QB that can teeter between PS and backup role, while the best case scenarios are essentially career backups. So, Sims has already shown the Jets that he can be a backup at this point (atleast in their evaluation) so that should atleast let him garner more weight than a UDFA. If we had stashed Sims on the PS this year after he looked good, and no one claimed him, I would understand completely. I'm not even saying, he's all that good to begin with. I just think backup QBs that can show any hint of potential tend to get valued around the 5th round IMO.

    By trading the 5th (hypothetically), the Browns get to see Sims perform this year, already have a backup QB that has learned the system, and see if they can develop him further. If they wait until the 5th next year, and take a QB, history is showing that they'll be in the same boat, with waiting another year or more to see if the guy develops. In Sims case, we have taken care of the waiting, so they can see if he's ready. I'm not even advocating the trade, I threw him out there as a possibility, but I do think Sims can garner 5th-6th round value in a deal.

  14. #134
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    F.Y.I - Josh Gordon is only in danger of being suspended for the rest this year & next season. After that, he's in the clear.

  15. #135
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do it!

  16. #136
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, BTW...

    Having lengthy suspensions over HERB is ridiculous, but that's another issue!
    It is NOT "Performance Enhancing" anymore than Alcohol is.
    Marijuana should be a team decision.

    Anyways, yeah- get this dude!
    Kinda changes how people would have to prepare for our Offense, no?

  17. #137
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of our 3rd round picks and Simms is a deal I would certainly agree with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    We need a WR... Most people on this board want to draft a WR with the first pick in the draft.
    Wasn't very familiar with this kid, but that vid posted, he looks pretty damned good!
    Cleveland is not getting a 1st rounder... So it would essentially be like getting him for a 2nd tops, more likely a 3rd and a player?
    If Simms is the player and our 3rd, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal for both sides, THEN we still have possibly the first pick in the 3rd still!

    Sounds like a good deal to me, but I'm not believing anything based on Incarcerated Bob only. Until Schefter confirms the teams involved.

    That does look like it would be pretty potent tho, with Hill, Kerley, and Nelson. I wouldn't trade Powell. Not unless it were him and a 5th. But trading Powell would seem a bit reckless to me.

  18. #138
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I understand it that 3rd rounder from Tampa Bay isn't set in stone, it could become a 4th if the Bucs release Revis. Revis' current contract has no guaranteed money in it so I could see them pull some sneaky wink-and-nod release then re-sign in order to lower the compensation. Probably just being paranoid, but it has to be considered when talking about giving up draft picks.

  19. #139
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    the chance of the bucs releasing revis is slim to none.



    Quote Originally Posted by fullblast View Post
    As I understand it that 3rd rounder from Tampa Bay isn't set in stone, it could become a 4th if the Bucs release Revis. Revis' current contract has no guaranteed money in it so I could see them pull some sneaky wink-and-nod release then re-sign in order to lower the compensation. Probably just being paranoid, but it has to be considered when talking about giving up draft picks.

  20. #140
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fullblast View Post
    As I understand it that 3rd rounder from Tampa Bay isn't set in stone, it could become a 4th if the Bucs release Revis. Revis' current contract has no guaranteed money in it so I could see them pull some sneaky wink-and-nod release then re-sign in order to lower the compensation. Probably just being paranoid, but it has to be considered when talking about giving up draft picks.
    Definitely thought of that and wonder if Idzik had anything in the contract to prevent it...
    Only thing I can think of is it would make other teams pretty skeptical from dealing with that GM after if they tried to pull some shady shlt tho.
    Maybe that's deterrent enough.
    I want to know what the actual DATE is he needs to be on the roster for!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us