Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NY Jets and blowout losses during the Rex Ryan era

The NY Jets and blowout losses during the Rex Ryan era

Updated November 18th:

Let's call a blow out loss any loss by 3 TDs or more. If the trend continues expect at least a few more this season.

2013 - 3 (after 10 games)
    Titans 38 Jets 13
    Bengals 49 Jets 09
    Bills 37 Jets 14

2012 - 4
    49ers 34 Jets 00
    Dolphins 30 Jets 09
    Seahawks 28 Jets 07
    Patriots 49 Jets 19

2011 - 2
    Patriots 37 Jets 16
    Eagles 45 Jets 19

2010 - 1
    Patriots 45 Jets 3

2009 - 0
    Last edited by jxc; 11-17-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Updated after the Bills blowout.

well throw in the saints game for next week. they are going to shred this D

Yeah. Rex has a few of these each year. Its not a good sign. You don't see this many blowouts from well coached teams.
    I expect to see at least 2 more of these blowout type losses this season. Next week might well be the second of season.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by daCHAMPisHERE View Post
    Yeah. Rex has a few of these each year. Its not a good sign. You don't see this many blowouts from well coached teams.
    I expect to see at least 2 more of these blowout type losses this season. Next week might well be the second of season.
    3rd but who's counting, watta suckfest yesterday.

I'd count the home dolphins game last year too. That was a blowout. Embarrassing.

The only saving grace I keep is the in 02 we got blown out 3 weeks in a row early and came back to win the east.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan_toronto_canada View Post
    I'd count the home dolphins game last year too. That was a blowout. Embarrassing.

The only saving grace I keep is the in 02 we got blown out 3 weeks in a row early and came back to win the east.
    +1. They made us their b*tch that game.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan_toronto_canada View Post

Yeah you're right. I missed that one. Will update the original post.
    Dolphins 30 Jets 09

since rex has been here the jets are often flat after playing the patriots. i think that and being on the road was all it took.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Like the 2002 41-0 loss the Colts had in the playoffs against the Jets (Dungy) or 62-7 playoff loss the Fins had to the Jags??(Jimmy Johnson)

i am no math expert but if the trend continues we should be expecting 8 blowouts this year

Imo in order for Rex to keep his job, the Jets need to have a 9-7 record or better. If the Jets have an 8-8 record or worse, I think Rex is fired after this season.

Veteran
    Yeah, I wish I could say I don't remember the last time the jets got beaten so badly as this past game. But as you see it happens all the time.

Just a horrible game from the entire team yesterday.

main difference between this blowout and other blowout losses with rex is that the defense was completely pasted without any turnovers until the game was decided. jets defense gave up 35 points before geno's first pick 6. usually when these games happen (ie, buttfumble) rex can go to post game presser and give the standard 'well, we have to limit turnover, we have to protect the ball, etc'. and they do, the pick 6s are not acceptable. but they didn't decide this game, the defense got burned on nearly every single play. rex isn't wired to respond to those types of questions/criticisms.

They're demoralizing, but at least the team should be used to them by now. We've taken so many blowout losses since the start of last year I've lost count. When we lose, we do it in style, sadly.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

On the positive note ,take notice that every year (almost) 10,11,&12) we seem to get blown out 1 game by the Pats .Well we are done with them this year & both games were within 3 points so thats 1 less blowout this year going by the present trend.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Like the 2002 41-0 loss the Colts had in the playoffs against the Jets (Dungy) or 62-7 playoff loss the Fins had to the Jags??(Jimmy Johnson)
    I remember that LOLphins game. Marino got the sh*t beat out of him. I think it was his last game.

Do you consider Tom Coughlin a good coach?

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    main difference between this blowout and other blowout losses with rex is that the defense was completely pasted without any turnovers until the game was decided. jets defense gave up 35 points before geno's first pick 6. usually when these games happen (ie, buttfumble) rex can go to post game presser and give the standard 'well, we have to limit turnover, we have to protect the ball, etc'. and they do, the pick 6s are not acceptable. but they didn't decide this game, the defense got burned on nearly every single play. rex isn't wired to respond to those types of questions/criticisms.
    This is what really scared me about yesterday. The defense was supposed to be one of the NFL's best - If it's going to get picked apart like that it's going to be very tough to win any games...

It wasn't like the Bengals just scored points, WR's were wide open all over the field...Our defense didn't stand a chance - they weren't even competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    Let's call a blow out loss any loss by 3 TDs or more. If the trend continues expect at least 2 more this season.

2013 - 2 (after 8 games)
    Titans 38 Jets 13
    Bengals 49 Jets 09

2012 - 4
    49ers 34 Jets 00
    Dolphins 30 Jets 09
    Seahawks 28 Jets 07
    Patriots 49 Jets 19

2011 - 2
    Patriots 37 Jets 16
    Eagles 45 Jets 19

2010 - 1
    Patriots 45 Jets 3

2009 - 0
    I'd be curious to know when these blowouts (especially the larger margin ones) occurred in the season and how the team did the week after and the remainder of those seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This is what really scared me about yesterday. The defense was supposed to be one of the NFL's best - If it's going to get picked apart like that it's going to be very tough to win any games...

It wasn't like the Bengals just scored points, WR's were wide open all over the field...Our defense didn't stand a chance - they weren't even competitive.
    Absolutely no pass rush will make any secondary look bad, the Jets D barely breathed on Dalton yesterday.

The problem I have is Rex seems to always stack the box with 8-9 defenders and then leaves the corners in man, if the rush doesn't get there it leaves the db's on an island.