Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just for fun: high-school-like debate....who's better - Chili Peppers v Living Colour

Just for fun: high-school-like debate....who's better - Chili Peppers v Living Colour

I know it's subjective and the RHCP's have produced a lot more music over the years, but as a fan of both, it got me thinking.
    They both started around the same time (80s) and you can compare it to the "East Coast" vs "West Coast" rap debate.
    There are a lot of music fans on this board with some really cool insight.
    I'd love to hear who you think was better (and why) at their peak.

Jets Insider VIP
    Glamour Boys by living color is a classic 80s tune.

Jets Insider VIP
    RHCP might be pound for pound the most over rated rock band of all time. Especially since Californication and everything after that.

All League
    Steely Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    RHCP might be pound for pound the most over rated rock band of all time. Especially since Californication and everything after that.
    Why do you think Ruby2?
    I think Flea is an all-time great bassist and Chad Smith is very underrated as a drummer.
    I do think Stadium Arcadium has some great songs (Readymade, Turn It Again, Torture Me, C'mon Girl, Hard to Concentrate).
    I feel that their lyrics and Kiedis hold them back from being truly great
    Goodbye Hooray off their latest disc ("I'm With You") is an insane song too
    Last edited by CTJetsFanII; 10-28-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    LC put out like 2 albums? I know RHCP is overrated but they still have a lot more and way better songs.

+1 for Steely Dan

-100 for Bruce Springsteen

One of the most random "battle of the bands" I have ever seen. But I'm not complaining.

My (one or two) favorite RHCP songs get about as much play on my iphone as my (one or two) favorite Living Colour songs. The musicianship in both bands is very high IMO.

But overall, I would say I much prefer Living Colour. I prefer their deeper tracks and I find RHCP almost unwatchable live -- too much grabass going on on stage for my taste.
    Last edited by AFCEastFan; 10-28-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    One of the most random "battle of the bands" I have ever seen. But I'm not complaining.

My (one or two) favorite RHCP songs get about as much play on my iphone as my (one or two) Living Colour songs. The musicianship in both bands is very high IMO.

But overall, I would say I much prefer Living Colour. I prefer their deeper tracks and I find RHCP almost unwatchable live -- too much grabass going on on stage for my taste.
    This.

Next up...

Queensryche vs. Gordon Lightfoot

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    This.

Next up...

Ha. The first vinyl I ever bought as a kid was the 45 of Sundown. Got it at Woolworth's.

Jets Insider VIP
    I watched every episode of In Living Color, and I"m white!

My (one or two) favorite RHCP songs get about as much play on my iphone as my (one or two) favorite Living Colour songs. The musicianship in both bands is very high IMO.

Great reply AFCEastFan. I think, because RHCP's catalog is so much more extensive, that I may have more songs of theirs that I like, but I agree about the deeper LC tracks.
    I think there was a big difference in LC's sound after Muzz Skillings (original bassist) left. I much prefer the stuff he did over the stuff with Doug Wimbish...but still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I watched every episode of In Living Color, and I"m white!

And this thread goes off the tracks.....lol.

The only reason I threw this out there (for fun) is because, to me, they were 2 of the best "funk metal" bands that happen to come out in the same time period.

RUSH sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    RUSH sucks.

+ 1.

Not sure if you guys have ever heard of this band (or seen this). They're called Unlocking The Truth. Bunch of pre-teens from Brooklyn. A friend sent it to me about a month ago and I was floored (it's long - several songs).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjMfdzjbl_Q

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    This.

Next up...

If you could read my mind love....needs to be re done by ministry or sepultura or even pantera. Would be epic, you can take that to the bank

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    Why do you think Ruby2?
    I think Flea is an all-time great bassist and Chad Smith is very underrated as a drummer.
    I do think Stadium Arcadium has some great songs (Readymade, Turn It Again, Torture Me, C'mon Girl, Hard to Concentrate).
    I feel that their lyrics and Kiedis hold them back from being truly great
    Goodbye Hooray off their latest disc ("I'm With You") is an insane song too
    Main reasons being the lyrics that you mentioned. Just down right silly songwriting.

The main reason isn't really the pepper's fault, its just that alt rock radio stations rammed them down our throats over and over again. Hence me calling them over rated. I still think over all they are a pretty good band, just not deserving of the play time they received.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    If you could read my mind love....needs to be re done by ministry or sepultura or even pantera. Would be epic, you can take that to the bank
    Next up.... Pantera vs Blondie

Jets Insider VIP

vs