Milliner's numbers compared to some other rookie CBs

Stole it from another board.

Below are the CB's first 4 games their rookie season and season totals

Milliner:
    Game 1: 4 receptions, 9 times thrown at, 65 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Game 2: 2 rec, 7 thrown at, 46 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Game 3: 6 rec, 12 thrown at, 52 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
    Game 4: 4 rec, 5 thrown at, 108 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Total (5 games): 16 receptions, 35 times thrown at, 45.7% completion %, 271 yards allowed, 16.9 yds per completion, 3 TD, 0 INT, 101.0 QB rating against

Patrick Peterson
    Game 1: 7 receptions, 9 times thrown at, 110 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Game 2: 5 rec, 5 thrown at, 66 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Game 3: 1 rec, 2 thrown at, 6 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
    Game 4: 7 rec, 10 thrown at, 94 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Total: 67 receptions, 113 times thrown at, 59.3% completion %, 869 yards allowed, 13.0 yds per completion, 3 TD, 2 INT, 85.0 QB rating against
    Notes: Pretty poor numbers for the entire year, didn't seem to improve too much the 2nd half the season

Kareem Jackson
    Game 1: 5 receptions, 11 times thrown at, 61 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT
    Game 2: 7 rec, 8 thrown at, 100 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
    Game 3: 6 rec, 7 thrown at, 100 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Game 4: 2 rec, 5 thrown at, 17 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
    Game 5: 9 rec, 12 thrown at, 148 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
    Total: 57 receptions, 86 times thrown at, 66.3% completion %, 924 yards allowed, 16.2 yds per completion, 5 TD, 2 INT, 111.8 QB rating against
    Notes: I added in his 5th game above. He struggled his first 2 seasons in the NFL, not just his rookie season. Not an elite CB, but certainly a pretty good one right now.

Vontae Davis
    Game 1: 4 receptions, 7 times thrown at, 91 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT
    Game 2: 6 rec, 9 thrown at, 125 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
    Game 3: 1 rec, 2 thrown at, 17 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
    Game 4: 7 rec, 10 thrown at, 88 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Total: 49 receptions, 77 times thrown at, 63.6% completion %, 893 yards allowed, 18.2 yds per completion, 7 TD, 4 INT, 112.1 QB rating against
    Notes: I used the first 4 games that he started rather than played, since he played in his teams first 6 games but not a lot of snaps, he started from game 7 on.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
    Game 1: 5 receptions, 5 times thrown at, 39 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT
    Game 2: 2 rec, 4 thrown at, 94 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Game 3: 5 rec, 7 thrown at, 47 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Game 4: 2 rec, 6 thrown at, 17 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
    Total: 46 receptions, 79 times thrown at, 58.2% completion %, 585 yards allowed, 12.9 yds per completion, 7 TD, 4 INT, 90.4 QB rating against

Main thing is its hard to play CB in the NFL. We'll see if Milliner can step up. My bigger worry is how bad Cromartie has been.

We won't know how good Milliner is till at least next season. He is a rookie learning to play a tough position in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Yes. I am more concerned with Cro.

He's not right and now he's getting exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Yes. I am more concerned with Cro.

He's not right and now he's getting exposed.
    My guess would be that Cro is playing through an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post

Main thing is its hard to play CB in the NFL. We'll see if Milliner can step up. My bigger worry is how bad Cromartie has been.
    Thanks for sharing these numbers… I was curious about this. It is just plain stupid to call anyone a bust after 8 NFL games of which they have only played 4. While I am not making excuses for him, he was unable to work out most of the summer while recovering from surgery. The entire secondary has been suspect so far this season. As some point I think Rex needs to swallow his pride and play bend but don't break pass defense. From time to time he can dial something up on third down. Too often I see these guys being left on an island.
    As an example, many of the Pats Superbowl Championship teams employed the same philosophy. Once we lost Revis it was time for Rex to adjust as opposed to trying to just insert someone else to do what Revis did! (Cromartie)

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

He looks scary bad. Worse than Wilson did at this point when he came into the league. The book isn't written by any means, but I haven't seen any positives from a 9th overall pick, very worried

All Pro
    What These numbers don't tell you how many Plays on the ball he made or how many passes he broke up. The Problem with Milliner is not in the numbers, he just Looks bad! Lots of Plays he gets clearly beat but the throw is poor or the Receiver Drops it. Has he broken up one pass this year?! Going by the stats the answer is no and when you watch him Play you know why.

I wholeheartedly agree that we got to be Patience, give him time and cut him some slack for an unfortunate start to his career (injury was a big part) but at some Point we atleast got to see some good things, some Plays where he does something where you say "Wow, that was great coverage!" or "That is a Play not every CB in this league can make."

Cro is another Story... he has looked horrible aswell except for when he played Julio Jones...

Interesting. I would like to know the quality of receivers that Peterson, DRC, etc. went up against. Milliner isn't generally going up against the #1 receiver and has looked foolish against #3s and other rookie wide receivers. I'm not counting him out yet, but he needs to step it up. Maybe he's thinking too much.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    He looks scary bad. Worse than Wilson did at this point when he came into the league. The book isn't written by any means, but I haven't seen any positives from a 9th overall pick, very worried
    Difference though was Wilson had an entire Training camp running with the ones as Revis was Holding out.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicRat View Post
    Interesting. I would like to know the quality of receivers that Peterson, DRC, etc. went up against. Milliner isn't generally going up against the #1 receiver and has looked foolish against #3s and other rookie wide receivers. I'm not counting him out yet, but he needs to step it up. Maybe he's thinking too much.
    Good Point and about him thinking, you can tell by his Body language. Even when he has made a good Play or stay with his man he Shows no reaction whatsoever. Now many may like this Business like Approach but for a cornerback confidence is one of the most important things and whenever I have seen Milliner in interviews or on the field in the NFL he has not really come across as confident. College was different, hopefully that changes soon...

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    We won't know how good Milliner is till at least next season. He is a rookie learning to play a tough position in the NFL.
    Exactly. I know we're in the age of expecting rookie 1st rounders to play like Pro Bowlers right away, but we gotta be patient with Milliner and see how and if he improves next season.

I expect rookie cb's to get beat and even picked on but I saw something disturbing yesterday. Thankfully rex immediately benched him after the play. He gave up a medium pass with a long run after catch and half assed jogged after the receiver as if he didn't care and expected someone else to tackle him.

That doesn't show up on any statline and is unforgivable IMO. Hopefully rex ripped him a new one.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    I expect rookie cb's to get beat and even picked on but I saw something disturbing yesterday. Thankfully rex immediately benched him after the play. He gave up a medium pass with a long run after catch and half assed jogged after the receiver as if he didn't care and expected someone else to tackle him.

That doesn't show up on any statline and is unforgivable IMO. Hopefully rex ripped him a new one.
    Maybe this is why Rex kinda went a Little after him in the postgame presser (didnt hear, someone posted it round here). Things like that are inexcusable...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post

Remember when Cro hurt his knee and was thought to be out for awhile. He's playing with a sore knee and lost a step.

How many CB's are in Canton compared to other positions?
    Thats all. Those CB's are exrtemely rare or we would see more of them going into the Hall every year.
    What Dee is learning is that he had it easy at Alabama.

This is basically a lost year for Milliner.
    He made a bad decision to hold out, missed the most important part of training camp. Now he's behind and out of shape to boot.

Gotta hope he comes back next year and puts it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Maybe this is why Rex kinda went a Little after him in the postgame presser (didnt hear, someone posted it round here). Things like that are inexcusable...
    I missed it. Wouldn't surprise me.

I think Milliner is actually The Ghost in disguise... He looks like he's never played ball before.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Difference though was Wilson had an entire Training camp running with the ones as Revis was Holding out.
    And Milliner has been banged up. Either way, it is retarded to give up on a kid after 5 or 6 games. CB is probably the hardest position to step in and play in the NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    The kid has made one good play all year...in the pre-season.

I'm not going to sit here and call him a bust right now but I don't know how you could be anything other than extremely disappointed with the way he has played so far.

Personally, I never liked the pick.

I was on the Warmack/Eifert bandwagon all offseason. Richardson is a total stud in the making, so I can't complain there.

But Rex's obsession with corners is starting to irritate me. Especially since our scouting department has seemingly been piss poor at evaluating them over the past 5-6 years.