Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd give up A LOT for Larry Fitzgerald

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd give up A LOT for Larry Fitzgerald

Let's face it. This offense needs that one receiver who can carry the unit on his shoulders. We have no true #1 receiver. We can try to rely on our mediocre draft placement to hope we get lucky (and face 1-2 years of growing pains), or we can get Larry Fitzgerald, who with the right QB, is a true game-changer. Arizona has had terrible QB play the past 2 seasons, and I think that is the primary reason why his numbers have gone down, along with the emergence of Michael Floyd. He remains a beast player though.

Players like Larry Fitz don't come around often. This offense needs a skill player with experience to build around. It is the ideal situation to pay up.
    I would give up a 1st, 3rd, and Stephen Hill. Give Geno that franchise WR to build a passing attack around, then this team can try to take the next step.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 10-28-2013 at 07:20 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a "pseudo" Herschel Walker trade you proposed. I Love Larry Fitz, buuuut...that is giving up a lot for a guy who is 30+. Tempting though, I give you that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen his contact? Outrageous!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    can he play corner?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    Have you seen his contact? Outrageous!
    it is a ridiculous contract. Hopefully he will be open to renegotiation. I don't see ANY team paying his existing contract out.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love Fitzgerald on this team. Sure he'll be 31 next year but he can still put up some good numbers. Plus he's also a class act and would provide some leadership on the field and in the clubhouse. Maybe he can teach Hill how to fight for a ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely give up a first and a player (Coples?). Fitz is a technique guy with the best hands in football. He will be able to be very effective through his mid to late 30s. Would have to re-negotiate his contract though

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Let's face it. This offense needs that one receiver who can carry the unit on his shoulders. We have no true #1 receiver. We can try to rely on our mediocre draft placement to hope we get lucky (and face 1-2 years of growing pains), or we can get Larry Fitzgerald, who with the right QB, is a true game-changer. Arizona has had terrible QB play the past 2 seasons, and I think that is the primary reason why his numbers have gone down, along with the emergence of Michael Floyd. He remains a beast player though.

Players like Larry Fitz don't come around often. This offense needs a skill player with experience to build around. It is the ideal situation to pay up.
    I would give up a 1st, 3rd, and Stephen Hill. Give Geno that franchise WR to build a passing attack around, then this team can try to take the next step.
    I'd love to see Fitz as a Jet but he's clearly slowing down a little. We'd need to be very careful about overpaying (both $ and draft picks) and must be sure we're in a win-now mode. Larry's got a few good years left and he's an incredible person and role model (think Curtis Martin at WR), but we need to be sure that we have our QB, that Geno is the guy, and that landing a premiere WR is the one significant thing that would put us over the top (like going from an 7 or 8 win team to a 10 win team).

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    This would be a horrible trade for the Jets and Fitzgerald, Why would we give up are 1st and 3rd round picks and a decent receiver with a lot of potential for a 30 year old receiver. He is an absolute beast but by the time the jets are done rebuilding (probably another 2 years) his play will have declined and he'll eat up so much cap space that they could use on young talent. As for Larry, I'm pretty sure he has a no trade clause so why would he come to the jets instead of potential super bowl team with a proven quarterback like the colts? Larry wants a ring and hes not gonna get one with the jets this year or next. This is "big splash" Tannenbaum trade that is made for jersey sales rather than to win, and it would really hurt the Jets in the future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this trade would be crazy for all parties involved. We are not a #1 WR away from a Superbowl.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    to all the nay-sayers, I ask you this: How good was Joe Flacco before he had an Anquan Boldin?

We don't have Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers. We NEED top skill players to compete.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank goodness you're not our GM. That is Tannenbaum-esque. Something like that might make sense for NE, where you have a HOF QB for maybe another 2-3 years before he declines. But this makes absolutely no sense for the Jets. I am confident Idzik will stay patient with the rebuild, in direct contrast to the Tannenbaum era where we threw hail marys like you are suggesting for half a decade. Look where it got us.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Thank goodness you're not our GM. That is Tannenbaum-esque. Something like that might make sense for NE, where you have a HOF QB for maybe another 2-3 years before he declines. But this makes absolutely no sense for the Jets. I am confident Idzik will stay patient with the rebuild, in direct contrast to the Tannenbaum era where we threw hail marys like you are suggesting for half a decade. Look where it got us.
    wouldn't mind a kid like Gordon though, he is young enough to be here for a long time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Say what you will about Tannenbaum, but his teams made legit runs at the Super Bowl. Yes, they came up short in the end, but he did it with MARK SANCHEZ as his QB. That's impressive. If we want to make a run again, we're going to need skill players. NO team can get to the Super Bowl without either a hall of fame QB or a great skill player. We need a veteran star to build around and complement Geno. Getting a player like Fitzgerald is an opportunity that comes once every 5 years maybe. And he's got 5 good years left. Getting him to build around is the first step to gearing up for a title run again in 2-3 years.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 10-28-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jjoy21 View Post
    This would be a horrible trade for the Jets and Fitzgerald, Why would we give up are 1st and 3rd round picks and a decent receiver with a lot of potential for a 30 year old receiver. He is an absolute beast but by the time the jets are done rebuilding (probably another 2 years) his play will have declined and he'll eat up so much cap space that they could use on young talent. As for Larry, I'm pretty sure he has a no trade clause so why would he come to the jets instead of potential super bowl team with a proven quarterback like the colts? Larry wants a ring and hes not gonna get one with the jets this year or next. This is "big splash" Tannenbaum trade that is made for jersey sales rather than to win, and it would really hurt the Jets in the future.
    Agreed. If we're going back to this strategy we might as well rehire MT while we're at it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Say what you will about Tannenbaum, but his teams made legit runs at the Super Bowl. Yes, they came up short in the end, but he did it with MARK SANCHEZ as his QB. That's impressive. If we want to make a run again, we're going to need skill players. NO team can get to the Super Bowl without either a hall of fame QB or a great skill player. We need a veteran star to build around and complement Geno. Getting a player like Fitzgerald is an opportunity that comes once every 5 years maybe. And he's got 5 good years left. Getting him to build around is the first step to gearing up for a title run again in 2-3 years.
    While I don't disagree that we need skill players, the problem with Tannenbaum's strategy was that we mortgaged several years of development for 2009 and 2010. The problem is that even if we had won the SB both years we still would have been in the same **** position 2011 and 2012 (and going forward) because Tannenbaum didn't have a long term strategy or if he had one then he did a poor job planning because most of those big contracts were a waste of cap space by 2011.

If this team was a WR short of a SB I'd get on board with what you're saying but we're not. We have a lot of positions that need draft, development and even the odd trade.

The future of this team will not be built on a few trades. The future of this team will be built on its ability to draft and develop players. If the coaching staff can become effective and developing young players then we can be a strong team for more than five years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it is a ridiculous contract. Hopefully he will be open to renegotiation. I don't see ANY team paying his existing contract out.
    If you really look at Fitz's contract in detail it isnt that bad. At first glance it looks ridiculous, but the guaranteed money ends after 2014 season. Jason at Over the Cap.com broke it down in simple terms. If you traded for Fitz right now you would basically have Fitz locked up for the rest of this season and all of next season for 15.65 million. That would be 2.65 for the remainder of this year and 13 million for all of next year. Not terrible numbers.

Now it all comes down to compensation and this is where it gets tricky. What do you give up for a guy that you may only have for a season and a half? Of course you would have the ability to restructure a deal beyond 2014 as well. Fitz isnt getting any younger either so that will certainly affect his value. If you are Arizona I would think his trade value is the highest right now before the trade deadline because the team trading for Fitz gets half of this season for only 2.65 million dollars.

All that being said I dont think the Jets go the Fitz route. I could see a team like the Colts trading for him. Wayne tore up his knee and at his age is no guarantee to come back next year, I think Irsay would love to make a deal like this and get Luck a great WR like Fitz. Too bad he traded his first next year for a RB.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 10-28-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah nah.

Not a fan of giving up multiple high picks in favour of a player who is already in his 30s and is commanding considerable sums of money. If the Jets want to trade for a wide receiver, I'd prefer they kick the tyres on Josh Gordon than on Fitzgerald.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No thanks. I doubt they would trade him unless you make a crazy offer and I wouldn't be in favor of that. Only guy I would trade for that might be available is Gordon and I don't think he is getting traded either.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your username certainly suits you.

A 1st, 3rd and Stephen Hill for a 30+ year old receiver with chronic hamstring issues and a $15+ million dollar a year contract?

How about you just come to grips with the fact that this team isn't contending for a Superbowl this year and Idzik isn't a complete jackass like Tannenbaum who will sacrifice our future for short term gain?