Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you ready to go all-in with Geno?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you ready to go all-in with Geno?

His mental toughness has me sold. We need to keep the coaching staff intact and get him some more skill players to work with.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to see him put up back to back games with no turnovers and solid performances. Then I will truly go all it. But for now I am "renting" Geno Smith before "buying" him
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 10-21-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, we have been all in with Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. The Jets should have no fear at all of drafting a QB next year, even early if value meets draft position. We are going to need another QB when Sanchez is let go in any case. It's bizarre that by far the most important position on the team is treated as a one player position in this league in man cases. Geno Smith has done very well so far but we just went through a QB who did a few things well but turned it over from day one until his last day, we can't assume anything.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm giving it the season(sorry I need to be sure after I went all in on #6).....

I like a lot of things in Geno so far....

Here is what I want to see from Geno for the rest of the season:

-Continue to trend down with the turnovers
    -Continue to step up in the pocket and drive the ball off of his back leg
    -Continue to improve and speed up decision making
    -String together good performances(and W's) in a row.....no more of this Good Geno, Bad Geno routine week to week.....

If I see him do these things as the season goes on, I will be ready to go "all-in" by season's end.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    No. The Jets should have no fear at all of drafting a QB next year, even early if value meets draft position. We are going to need another QB when Sanchez is let go in any case. It's bizarre that by far the most important position on the team is treated as a one player position in this league in man cases. Geno Smith has done very well so far but we just went through a QB who did a few things well but turned it over from day one until his last day, we can't assume anything.
    Moving forward with Geno as the starter next season should not stop us from drafting a QB if we get good draft value....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im close to going all in.

I'll say this....we definitely should retain the coaching staff as a whole, especially MM and David Lee as they have done a good job and can provide consistency for Geno to continue to develop.

To me Geno has all the tools to be a top tier QB, it just needs to be put together. Hopefully we can keep guys like Kerley, Cumberland and Hill around him to develop together, and add on atleast another solid weapon to the mix.

I am not a big college fan so couldn't really evaluate Geno coming out of WV, but must say am pleasantly surprised we got him at the top of round 2.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I want to see him put up back to back games with no turnovers and solid performances. Then I will go all in
    Not looking for the right thing, IMO. He is a rookie and needs to learn. Is he progressing? He is a dynamic playmaker, which makes turnovers more of a possibility as a rookie, but big plays are more likely too. His numbers are better than Peyton Manning as a rookie so far. The intangibles and skill set are really important, and he has shown he can make all the throws and the game is not too big for him. He has a chance to be special.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No

Really surprised people are all giddy over yesterdays performance. He had a real tough time completing passes in the 2nd half. Granted, he was excellent moving the team forward with his wheels. But, we're not going to win with a "running" QB. His accuracy seemed to be off the last 2 weeks as well.

Encouraged, but not sold on the guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    No

Really surprised people are all giddy over yesterdays performance. He had a real tough time completing passes in the 2nd half. Granted, he was excellent moving the team forward with his wheels. But, we're not going to win with a "running" QB. His accuracy seemed to be off the last 2 weeks as well.

To be fair, he was going against two of the best defensive minds in the NFL in Dick LeBeau and Bill Belichick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big mistake unless it is a developmental prospect. We need to use picks on players that will see the field. Geno has major talent and has outplayed some of the best QBs in the league in Brady and Ryan and he's just a rookie.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No

So hitting Hill for a TD that got called back by a bs call, hitting Cumby twice in the chest is his fault? Outplaying Brady is not enough I guess. He is NOT a running QB. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it helps if you at least understand what you are criticizing.
    Last edited by Greensleeves; 10-21-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no need for any proclamations now. Let the season play out and thankfully we have excellent, experienced
    offensive coaches (Mornhinweg & Lee) who know QB's and they will make the decision. Speaking for myself I don't
    want to get fooled again by a young QB so I'm waiting to make any judgments

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And don't talk about drafting another QB just to be the backup. I want a veteran saavy mind playing backup, not just to come in on a moment's notice, but to help mentor the young quarterback.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you ready to go all-in with Geno?

I been all in on Geno since week 1. When i recognize the skill set he posses .. His upside is extremely high

Everybody is all reserved because of sanchez . But there is flat out plays Geno can make that Sanchez cant. Not to mention one started out as game manager. While the other is driving the car with no Braylon,Holmes,cotchery and Thomas Jones .
    Last edited by Scoop24; 10-21-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No. Frankly, I want to see what David Garrad can bring to the table. I say after the bye we sit Geno for the rest of the season and platoon Garrard and Simms.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    No

he should have had 2 more td passes, as the hill td was negated and cumby didn't hold onto the other one. and cumby also dropped that pass that would have given them a first down at the end.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He earned another year yesterday. So did Rex.

It's unfair to judge any QB without a decent offensive weapon. Biggest difference between him and Sanchez is mental toughness, massive arm strength, better accuracy, and eyes essentially ALWAYS downfield.

As Ray Lucas, Rich Gannon, and others have pointed out: Geno is still raw. But to an educated observer, he's improving. Look at the 3rd and longs he was making yesterday and the way he was hitting Kerley and others LOW to protect them. How many times did Braylon or Holmes or Cotchery have to reach up while going over the middle for Sanchez's passes?

I don't think this team needs a QB. It needs some offensive skill game breakers. Whether they come in the draft or via Free Agency this offseason, priority HAS TO BE there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    No

So hitting Hill for a TD that got called back by a bs call, hitting Cumby twice in the chest is his fault? Outplaying Brady is not enough I guess. He is NOT a running QB. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it helps if you at least understand what you are criticizing.
    Exactly! And I wish Marty would take all of the read option plays out of the playbook. He's not a read option QB. He did not run that system in college. He is a MOBILE POCKET PASSER(out of the Luck and Rodgers mold). Just because you are fast and Black does not mean you can play the read option.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think we will be in a draft position to worry about a Teddy Bridgewater or Taja Boyd etc...

However, if you think of where we got Geno, and considering we are going to have (what looks like) a HIGH 3rd round pick (thank you Revis), this might be the spot.

I know everyone is divided on a guy like Johnny Manziel, but I am expecting us to pick around 12-15, which is where Manziel could be slotted next year.

Aaron Murray, A.J. McCarron, Kevin Hogan....too hard to say right now who could be in that mid 2nd to early 3rd round.

One thing that is very strange about the NFL is the HUGE drop-off in talent typically between 1st string and 2nd string. In a league that screams depth for success, this is one position that is starting to change. Like hockey, your goalie is key, and many teams keep two quality players at said position.
    In football QB is said position. Why not draft another guy there as well?